• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Attendance Awareness @ work

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
The hospital I work for started a new program called “wellness at work”, which is basically a sugar coated 5-step disciplinary program for employees with poor attendance.
The hospital says that an acceptable absenteeism for a full time staff is 10 days or 5 incidents annually. After that you get enrolled into step1- initial concern, and if your attendance doesn’t improve you continue up to step 5- extreme continuing concern, which may lead to termination.

I was enrolled into step 1 because I had 20 absents last year, all valid- alcohol poisoning, extreme sketchiness and when I was off for 2 weeks cause I got drunk in Cuba and broke my ankle. Mangers at the hospital have horrible attendance, mine has been taking off every Friday in order to help reduce the departmental budget short-fall, one of the VP’s has been off for 3 months. The nurses aren’t being targeted for this because their union is fighting the program.

If you have medical certification for your absents, can a employer still reprehend you for it? I know every full time worker in Ontario can take 10 unpaid days off- it’s the law. But anyone know the law concerning absenteeism?

Are you a frequently absent, do people care? What’s your boss doing about it?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
TrIbAlNuT said:
I was enrolled into step 1 because I had 20 absents last year, all valid- alcohol poisoning, extreme sketchiness and when I was off for 2 weeks cause I got drunk in Cuba and broke my ankle.

LMFAO!!!!!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I only get paid for hours logged at my desk. If I want to take a day off nobody cares however it costs me the income for the day.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
TrIbAlNuT said:
I was enrolled into step 1 because I had 20 absents last year, all valid- alcohol poisoning, extreme sketchiness and when I was off for 2 weeks cause I got drunk in Cuba and broke my ankle.

ahaha.... are you serious? You can't be, although this is quite hilarious.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
you sound like you are fun to party with... none of my friends break the ankles partying... i mean that is some hardcore shit right there...

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I only get paid for hours logged at my desk. If I want to take a day off nobody cares however it costs me the income for the day.

o beautiful for spacious skies,
for amber waves of grain,
for purple mountain majesties
above the fruited plain

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately one of the caveats of being able to work remotely is that even if I'm legitimately sick, I'm still expected to be somewhat available from home on my "sick days." (at least, this is how it seems in my group as very few people ever call in SICK and are totally N/A)

Our absenteeism is very low for this reason.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
ahaha.... are you serious? You can't be, although this is quite hilarious.

NO, I perfer coming into work if Im sketchy so I can make exude my bitterness and fatigue on my fellow co-workers

The only time I really call in sick when I really really am incapacitated in bed.

Prickly Pete said:
you sound like you are fun to party with... none of my friends break the ankles partying... i mean that is some hardcore shit right there...

I fell down the stairs after I drank a 26er of Cuban rum... it was $4!!!!
The beauty of it was that I limped and danced on it for a 5 days before a DR. in toronto called me a moron and told me I've walking on a broken ankle.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
do those 10 days include sick days AND vacation days?

also, your reasons are totally NOT valid. are you stupid?! Don't go out and get sketchy or super-drunk in the first place! Have some responsibility when you know you have to work in the morning!

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
i want to work out with you, TrIbAlNuT.

sure anytime, we can warm up with a few sets of rum shots...

Michlerish said:
do those 10 days include sick days AND vacation days?

also, your reasons are totally NOT valid. are you stupid?! Don't go out and get sketchy or super-drunk in the first place! Have some responsibility when you know you have to work in the morning!

No I get 80hrs vacation, 2 floats, stat holidays and "500"hrs sick time, although no one can even get close to 500hrs...maybe some nurses.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
TrIbAlNuT said:
sure anytime, we can warm up with a few sets of rum shots...

No I get 80hrs vacation, 2 floats, stat holidays and "500"hrs sick time, although no one can even get close to 500hrs...maybe some nurses.

So those 10 days are days when you just, "don't show up"? :|

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
I dont know....20 days off? Chronic absenteeism due to the drink? I'd prob fire you rather than sugarcoat a disciplinary program for you. Easier just to get someone new.