• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Attawapiskat

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Surprised this hasn't come up at all, it's akin to challenges seen in third world countries yet it's happening right here in Ontario.
This isn't just the fault of the government, although the prior regime didn't make it any easier, a large amount of blame has to lie at the band leaders feet for their gross mis-mangement of funds in the first place. Regardless fellow Canadians are struggling and we all need to do something to help

here's some background
Feds want their funding back

over 100 suicide attempts in a population of 2000 in 7 months

no future for youth

I'm planning to fund raise among my colleagues, if anyone has a reliable charity which i can direct funds to that would be appreciated

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
In regards to the state of emergency about the suicides, that can be traced back about 7 years ago and the Conservatives did nothing to address it.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Charlie Angus
7 mins ·
Parliament has agreed to my call for an emergency debate on the suicide crisis affecting Indigenous communities. We need to come together as Parliamentarians to discuss this issue and begin to find solutions. We need to move beyond the band-aids responses. Let's work with the youth, parents and community leaders to find solutions that work at the grassroots level so that young people become empowered and have access to the resources they need.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Total travesty... The Harper government is totally guilty of creating a culture of depraved indifference along with tribe leaders.

My sister helps first responders deal with PTSD. Shit is out of control up there and the few people there to deal with it are completely over their heads and unable to cope.

As a country we should be ashamed of what's happening with indigenous people.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lojack

TRIBE Member
None of this is really new. There have been major Federal investigations & commissions which have investigated these things over the last 100 odd years. The problems are well identified. The lack of substantial progress is getting old.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
None of this is really new. There have been major Federal investigations & commissions which have investigated these things over the last 100 odd years. The problems are well identified. The lack of substantial progress is getting old.
pure crazy talk. The reserves were bastions of education and co-operation. This is all harpers fault, I mean none of these problems existed before he became prime dictator. He is also to blame for the deaths of aboriginal women too don't forget

kyfe

TRIBE Member
pure crazy talk. The reserves were bastions of education and co-operation. This is all harpers fault, I mean none of these problems existed before he became prime dictator. He is also to blame for the deaths of aboriginal women too don't forget
to be fair, this wasn't all Harpers undoing, You and I already discussed some of the other issues at play IE: funding given but not directed, fraud, mismanagement etc.

What vilified Harper was his anti Aboriginal stance through both his corrections changes (rehab vs incarceration), his lack of inquiry into the Western missing women issue and the roadblocking of funding due to lack of transparency.

part of the issue is you can fund aboriginal issues but you cannot direct the funding without involvement of the bands.

IMO the First nations band should be mediating this issue and acting as a go between with issuing funding as projects hit milestones and the funding being provided by the feds. I believe it will be a much smoother process if the Band leaders hold the local bands accountable. I also think they need to go beyond just Attawapiskat and also address the issues at Fort Albany, Moosonee, and Kashechewan as all are dealing with some kind of crisis or have in the past.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
The fact we keep talking about then as invalids who need us to fix their problems is the fucking problem. How many studies do we need to do before we just admit the way it is now is only furthering to keep them in the role of victim???? Ffs. Why is it some reserves are thriving and some are continually on the brink of disaster? The fact there is a very vocal segment of the "leadership" who refuse any sort of assessment of how the reserve is run in regards to money they receive and what it is spent on speaks volumes. There is big money in keeping them in the role of victims just like there is big money in keeping ppl on the streets in toronto. Fuck, just look at tchc and the continuous scandals involved. The board is in it for themselves which has been proven over and over yet raise that issue and you get massive push back and an outright refusal to actually address the issue

Last edited:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
that and the ones who don't view the reserve and the ppl there as their own cash cow. Pretending there aren't chiefs who are only out for themselves and use the funds they receive to stay in power is foolish. It happens in any situation where one wields power over another. Everyone knows what the problems are but the entrenched victim profiteers and media attack anyone who states the facts.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
that and the ones who don't view the reserve and the ppl there as their own cash cow. Pretending there aren't chiefs who are only out for themselves and use the funds they receive to stay in power is foolish. It happens in any situation where one wields power over another. Everyone knows what the problems are but the entrenched victim profiteers and media attack anyone who states the facts.
Still generalizing though.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Mean to say, but they are pretty shit at suiciding.
large groups of kids are forming ' suicide pacts '. someone found out.
it could be, that one of them in the pact told, because they're trying to reach out, and save lives.
either way, that's no way for a child to go out.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
This isn't really time for jokes, that's part of the reason this is still going on.
The issue needs to be taken seriously and more education about aboriginal issues needs to be provided to the GP. Most people think the government just gives them money thus making them a burden rather than understanding colonialism and the impact it's had on systemically driving a race into extinction.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
The fact they had to have an emergency debate speaks volumes and is sure to come up with zero to deal long term. Short term money will be shoveled at the problem as is par for the course. Chretien even said they shouldn't be living there and I agree. It isn't like it was when first colonized. It isn't like they even have the skills to "live off the land". They are in the middle of fucking nowhere. Until that changes there is zero room for growth. That is what needs to change. Though almost no one will forward that as a solution.

Last edited:

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
It isn't like they even have the skills to "live off the land". They are in the middle of fucking nowhere. Until that changes there is zero room for growth. That is what needs to change. Though almost no one will forward that as a solution.
Maybe you don't know the solution for this incredibly complex and long-term problem that has been devastating communities for generations. And that's ok because most of us don't. But maybe you could do more listening and less insisting you know exactly what's best for people.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
How about we actually deal with the problems janiecakes. This is not a new issue, same with the murders of aboriginal women. It is aboriginal men who are commiting the murders yet no one wants to admit it. So they do study after study and pat themselves on the back yet do squat. So keep on doing studies and doing the same old same old. It has been working out great for decades. It is only complex because no one will admit the problem

Last edited:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Again, listening. Also get a new joke.
I changed it. I apologize. It is old and not a true reflection of you. The point I'm trying to get at is this is nothing new. It isn't like despair, addiction, poverty and crime is something that just happened. It is systemic and very entrenched. Talking about it or studying it again and again will not fix the problems

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
And the point I am trying to get at is that you are using a lot of words like victimhood or cash cow or, bizarrely, dictator, without saying anything useful or insightful. Yes, the system we have is not working for people living on these reserves. Yes, there is corruption in politics (on- and off-reserve!). Great, we can all agree and move on to LISTENING to people with lived experience in this who are telling us what is going on and what they need.

Last edited: