• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Attack continues on Dallaire's credibility

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
This pisses me off so much. As if Gen. Dallaire hasn't been through enough, he now has his credibility questioned? I remember seeing him my last year at University during his speaking circuit. He went into great detail about the massacre in Rwanda. If anybody hasnt read Shake Hands With the Devil, I would recomend it.

-----------------------------
ARUSHA, TANZANIA - Defence lawyers at a United Nations tribunal continued to attack the credibility of retired Canadian general Roméo Dallaire Monday, saying the former commander of UN peacekeeping forces in Rwanda based his information on the country's impending massacre on a low-level informant.

Dallaire has been testifying against Theoneste Bagosora and three other former Rwandan army officials who are accused of instigating the 100-day genocide that left more than half a million Rwandans dead.

FROM JAN. 21, 2004: Rwandan colonel's lawyer attacks Dallaire's credibility

In January and February 1994, the informant told Dallaire's subordinate United Nations officers that Hutu extremists planned to exterminate Tutsis and were distributing weapons to government officials.

Dallaire told the tribunal that Faustin Twagiramungu – a Hutu moderate – introduced him to the informant, saying he held a senior position in the ranks of the extremist Hutu militia.

But about two years ago Twagiramungu contradicted that, saying that the informant was only a driver.

Peter Erlinder

Defence lawyer Peter Erlinder asked Dallaire why he sent a telegram to UN headquarters based on a low-level source.

Dallaire said he didn't think that Twagiramungu – whom he had known for a couple of months – would have introduced him to an informant who was just a driver.

"We know that later [Twagiramungu] said what he told you was not true," Erlinder said to Dallaire.

"Yeah, so?" Dallaire responded.

"Well, if he had been truthful with you at the time, this telegram would not have been sent," said Erlinder.

Dallaire told the tribunal he believed the informant provided credible information about the intentions of Hutu extremists in early 1994.

He said that information could not be verified before sending the telegram.

The defence has attacked his memory of events leading up to the massacre in Rwanda 10 years ago. They are also trying to demonstrate that Dallaire had a clear prejudice against the mostly Hutu government.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Adam

TRIBE Member
I'm definitely going to pick his book up.

I saw him interviewed on CBC on Sunday, and it was painful to watch. You can tell he's a broken man. He absolutely blames himself for the deaths that occurred. Well, at the very least, for not preventing them.

derek

TRIBE Member
the un security council has got to blame someone for their inadequacy. if my history is correct wasn't it around the same time that Dallaire had requested troops, and denied, that clinton got 5000 un peacekeepers to clean up their (us of a) mess in hati.

dallaire gave them all the warning they needed. the security council had there own agenda and rwanda wasn't high on the list. shit, the us would even allow a motion to be passed declaring it a genocide until 800,000 were dead.

my friend was there with the red cross, and he still has nightmares.

peace,

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
I'm definitely going to pick his book up.

I saw him interviewed on CBC on Sunday, and it was painful to watch. You can tell he's a broken man. He absolutely blames himself for the deaths that occurred. Well, at the very least, for not preventing them.
I've seen the interview you're talking about. I had the same reaction to it.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
The job of the defence is to make every witness lack credibility. Dallaire tried to commit sucide. Dallaire was unable to gain the respect of the Belgians, Dallaire used questionable sources of information, Dallaire had a strong predjudice.

The defence lawyers would be doing a shitty ass job if they didn't hammer Dallaire. And if they didn't try to make him cry, and if they didn't try to make him break down. Its there job and its what they have to do right.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories