• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

At Work: how to make it through the afternoon

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
I just came back from a light lunch and am wishin g I could lay down for a mid-afternoon nap. I AM SO SLEEPY, and it's driving me crazy as I want to be productive but instead keep dreaming about making a pot of coffee.

It's not a big meal, I had a protein-full lunch with minimal carb. I slept well last night - my usual 7 hours. I worked out this morning so it's not lack of exercise. Am I drinking too much coffee? What is causing my lethargy?

What do you do to get yourself out of the mid-afternoon slump?
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
You gotta eat some carbs with your protein. Your body needs some quick energy to get to work on the protein!
 

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
If it's nice out I take my bottle of water and go for a 15 minute walk outside. If that doesn't work I put on some bumpy toons and have a little dance at my desk.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
A quick walk usually does the trick. Especially fresh air. Today, there is a nice breeze blowing, and the sun is shining. Usually that'll wake my ass up.

OR I buy a chocolate bar and a can of redbull.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I ate my lunch in about 20 minutes or so, turned off my monitor, put in earplugs and kicked up my feet and fell asleep for 40 minutes! :D

perfection!
 

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Music would be good, but sadly i have no speakers attached to my computer aaaaand my mp3 phone is on the fritz.

Perhaps I will go eat more. Carbs you say ... noooo problem :)
 

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
You gotta eat some carbs with your protein. Your body needs some quick energy to get to work on the protein!

I don't think so...I've been actually eating very low carb lunches for the last several weeks and my afternoon slump is almost non existent. In that time I've also cut out morning coffees (on a rare occasion I'll have a small one).

Carbs at lunch always leads to the afternoon sleepies.
 

sugar

TRIBE Member
I'm gonna hazard a guess and say you got a tropical sleeping disease from dancing barefoot. Godspeed.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
killaLady... What is a slingbox?

I'm currently giving into my afternoon coffee and cookie craving. It's a daily operation, and although I've tried replacing that combo with an apple, it just ain't the same! After my caffiene/sugar boost I will crank some music on my headphones and tinker around for the rest of the day. Hopefully there's not much real work left...
 

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
I don't think so...I've been actually eating very low carb lunches for the last several weeks and my afternoon slump is almost non existent. In that time I've also cut out morning coffees (on a rare occasion I'll have a small one).

Carbs at lunch always leads to the afternoon sleepies.


Carbs with lunch or carbs for lunch?

I can only speak for myself, but my body works like a fire:

Protein= the big logs
Carbs= kindling and softwood
Exercise= air.
fat= the firewood pile.

If you don’t get enough exercise, then you starve the fire and it goes out. The more exercise you get, the more fuel you burn.

If you throw on a bunch of carbs it’ll burn fast and then go out.

If you throw on a bunch of protein it’ll smother and go out.

If you start with carbs, then add some protein you can get a nice steady fire. If the fire starts to burn low, throw on some carbs or get some exercise. If you’re eating non-stop then throw on some more protein.

You gotta make sure you get enough fat too, cause you might run out of fuel when the woodlot is closed.
 

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
i masturbated in a private bathroom at an old job a couple times, really takes the edge off!

public washrooms are more fun cause you can watch other peoples feet in the adjacent stalls whilst pleasing yourself. crafty folk will make little peep holes for added enjoyment...
 

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I notice a HUGE difference on afternoons where I don't get to the gym on my lunch. Getting a break and some exercise really breaks up the day and makes the afternoon so much more bearable.

The days I skip the gym, I always hit a wall around 2:30 or 3:00 where I just don't feel like doing any more work.
 

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
Joe Seven said:
public washrooms are more fun cause you can watch other peoples feet in the adjacent stalls whilst pleasing yourself. crafty folk will make little peep holes for added enjoyment...


sometimes those peep holes grow up to be gloryholes!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
The days I skip the gym, I always hit a wall around 2:30 or 3:00 where I just don't feel like doing any more work.

if you go to the gym at lunch, how do you make time to eat? I find it's easier to go to the gym after work... although at that point i'm usually not in the mood for excercise...
 

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
I notice a HUGE difference on afternoons where I don't get to the gym on my lunch. Getting a break and some exercise really breaks up the day and makes the afternoon so much more bearable.

The days I skip the gym, I always hit a wall around 2:30 or 3:00 where I just don't feel like doing any more work.

I usually hit the gym for lunch as I see no point in sitting on my ass for that time frame when I can squeeze in a nice, efficient workout in teh same time.

Funny thing is I am equally tired on those days than days when I just eat lunch.

Perhaps I ought to get my blood checked.

For now, I'm breaking down and brewing coffee. Fuckit.
 

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
I'm gonna hazard a guess and say you got a tropical sleeping disease from dancing barefoot. Godspeed.

You are ridiculous.

Did you see my feet amongst Alexs photos? It's been 2 days and they're still almost as dirty ...
 

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Joe Seven said:
if you go to the gym at lunch, how do you make time to eat?

When I'm good about making food in advance (not very often!) I take little breaks before or after lunch or eat at my desk. Since I eat 5-6 times throughout the day I don't have to worry about one big lunch meal the minute I get back.

When I'm not so good about it, I just grab something on the way back and eat it at my desk. I'm lucky that they're pretty cool about that stuff here.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top