• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ask a Tribe person anything you want

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Day in day out I see these names and they are responsible for making me laugh, think, get angry, formulate insults, laugh and all the rest.

PICK someone, someone who's interested you lo these many years and ask them something you want to ask them.

MOFO.......... What is the best children's book you've every read?









Like that.
 

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Myself, I was most impressed with Ludmilla Zeman's rendition of Gilgamesh and Sinbad. Children are not usually exposed to art that is that good.

Easy, see?

PosTMOd.... Rate your happiness overall... 1 to 10. If you please.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
BUMBACLAT... Great name.... why did you pick it?
When I first moved to Bermuda one of my friends said "bumbaclat" and I asked what it meant. They started laughing and thought it was the funniest shit ever that I didn't know..... and then they would all yell it out when they saw me.

They also called my Dad "Pappa Demus" and it had some connection to Chaka Demus and Pliers that I never really got either.

anyway, there you go!
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac


MOFO.......... What is the best children's book you've every read?

THANK YOU for asking me about something other than sex, fashion or teh ghey.

There are a few gems.

Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis - 5th grade novel about a little Afghani girl living under the Taliban rule who is forced to pose as a boy to be able to go out of the house to work, fetch food and water. Wonderful portrayal of daily Afghani life and lets Western kids have an understanding what other kids are going through on the other side of the world.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Classic love story with old-fashioned symbolism and archetypes. A boy falls in love with a tree and vice versa. Boy grows up and leaves the tree alone but ends up returning to its first love. Teaches us not to take things for granted.

The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss. Two towns separated by a wall. One town butters their bread on one side. The other town butters their bread on the other. A fight breaks out and each side tries to outdo the other in weapons and warfare. In the end? Death and destruction. A really intelligent allegory to the romanticism of historic wars but also a moralistic story about the evils of racism. A book that should be sent to all world leaders participating in an arms race. A brilliant study of hate.

Captain Underpants by Pilkie. Gotta read it to believe it. Fabulously fun and captivating. Lots of sardonic humour.

Paper Bag Princess, Mortimer Mortimer, Thomas' Snowsuit, 50 Degrees Below Zero. All by Robert Munsch. If you can read it well, kids (and adults) will stop in their tracks to listen. :)
 

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Ask a Tribe person anything you want

Originally posted by MoFo
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Classic love story with old-fashioned symbolism and archetypes. A boy falls in love with a tree and vice versa. Boy grows up and leaves the tree alone but ends up returning to its first love. Teaches us not to take things for granted.
great book...didn't he also write "where the sidewalk ends"...
 

redeyes

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Ask a Tribe person anything you want

Originally posted by MoFo
There are a few gems.

Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis - 5th grade novel about a little Afghani girl living under the Taliban rule who is forced to pose as a boy to be able to go out of the house to work, fetch food and water. Wonderful portrayal of daily Afghani life and lets Western kids have an understanding what other kids are going through on the other side of the world.

sounds interesting. i'll try to get my hands on this in the new year.

peace
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Ask a Tribe person anything you want

Originally posted by djcheezwhiz
great book...didn't he also write "where the sidewalk ends"...
Yup. Which should also be a part of anyone's collection.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
(Every read. God I'm still so drunk....)

I will look up those books. My appreciation of children's literature has been peaked as of late.

Dr. Seuss was great. There is an art book with his work that is very expensive but I've always wanted to buy it.

BASIC... What is the accomplishment you are most proud of?
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Ask a Tribe person anything you want

Originally posted by redeyes
sounds interesting. i'll try to get my hands on this in the new year.

peace
It's not a difficult book to read because it's written at a 5th grade level but there are some really interesting things that happen. I push this book to all the kids. It was banned at one school because one teacher thought our recommendation was too controversial and "unpatriotic." I mean, fuck off you wanker. Who gave you a fucking teaching degree.

Anyway, the second one is called Parvana's Journey and they are both available at Indigo for about $8 - $12. Not too expensive.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac


Dr. Seuss was great. There is an art book with his work that is very expensive but I've always wanted to buy it.

That guy wrote hundreds of books and won an Academy Award once. He's quite the freak and goes by so many pseudonyms as well.

I would DEFINITELY check out The Butter Battle Book, one of the lesser known ones. Also, Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories is quite good too.

I'm gonna try and think of some other ones for you since I never really get to talk about children's literature with anyone. :)
 

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Ask a Tribe person anything you want

Originally posted by MoFo

Paper Bag Princess, Mortimer Mortimer, Thomas' Snowsuit, 50 Degrees Below Zero. All by Robert Munsch. If you can read it well, kids (and adults) will stop in their tracks to listen. :)
when i was little they had Robert Munsch come to our classroom and read us that one called "i gotta go pee" or something like that... and also "50 degrees below zero".. what a funny guy.. soo captivating too :)

Marcin M :)

ps. Happy NYE to everobody :D
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
On a children's book tangent... Maurice Sendak's 'Where the Wild Things Are' totally rocked me. This is not an illuminating statement. This book is already famous of course. But man, reading that booklet changed the way I perceived writing. Here I was, a rambunctious, precocious kid who my teachers tried to push ritalin on, got to read a story about a guy named Max. Max looked like I looked, a dark eyed, perpetually scowling kid with a predilection for costumes having an adventure. In stories only nice kids did anything cool up until then. Kids like Max were sent to their room or put in a corner. Max was the first literary character I can remember that was REAL. He was the first guy I identified with.

MOFO... I had a long drunken conversation last night regarding Madonna's two children's books. What do you think of them?
 

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
That guy wrote hundreds of books and won an Academy Award once. He's quite the freak and goes by so many pseudonyms as well.

I would DEFINITELY check out The Butter Battle Book, one of the lesser known ones. Also, Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories is quite good too.

I'm gonna try and think of some other ones for you since I never really get to talk about children's literature with anyone. :)
i enjoyed go dog go by p.d. eastman (on seuss's (ted geisel's) beginner book series)

do you like my hat?

no i do not

goodbye
 

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac

BASIC... What is the accomplishment you are most proud of?
Having the courage to climb out from the darkest spot that I could ever have experienced short of death and standing where I do today.
 

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
That guy wrote hundreds of books and won an Academy Award once. He's quite the freak and goes by so many pseudonyms as well.
THE LORAX... It's like the guy had a time machine with regards to social issues. He was way ahead of his time. Read/Watch THE GRINCH. How does anyone in the fifties have the awareness to write a book about the commericialisation of Christmas?

Check out Seuss's bio. He was a propaganda cartoonist for years. He was like 1940 Warner Bros. cartoons on steriods. His anti-Nazi/Facsism cartoons are so spot on they're creepy. He was unapologetic for all the crazy art he did for periodicals while young.
 

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
THE LORAX... It's like the guy had a time machine with regards to social issues. He was way ahead of his time.

A great story. I need a thneed.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
Having the courage to climb out from the darkest spot that I could ever have experienced short of death and standing where I do today.
i was wondering if i'd get your answer right...........i did! ya me!!

(actually, ya you for that accomplishment!!)

:)sarah
 

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
Having the courage to climb out from the darkest spot that I could ever have experienced short of death and standing where I do today.
It's deep and mysterious sounding... but I don't know what you're talking about so I cannot share your victory.

MCBEE... Is there a moment in your life that you would live over? Not do over, live over.
 

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac

MCBEE... Is there a moment in your life that you would live over? Not do over, live over.
you mean relive because it was so amazing?

if so, i would relive many. i've had alot of amazing experiences. summer camp, university, my childhood, fallling in love with basic.....but i wouldn't take reliving these moments over experiencing whats coming in the future. i have a feeling the future is going to be amazing and i don't wanna miss out on that, but reliving things i already did.

:)sarah
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top