1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

as techno fans

Discussion in 'Techno Room' started by sweetdaddy, Aug 27, 2003.

1. sweetdaddy

sweetdaddy TRIBE Member

what "bands" relly hit home with yall?

I for one love techno (along with other genres, but techno comes first) but I can't resist liking good bands either. but asking "band" fans for suggestions, you ussually get predicatble answers.

[ let this be a chance for us to learn about, re-visit or re-examine some great bands through each other ].

the big ones for me lately have been

1] * The Talking Heads. (fuck pink floyd, this is who RADIOHEAD really sound like)

2] * Caesars Palace (aka ..the caesars)....a great psychdelic punk band with some great lyrics.

3] * Scissor Sisters. (not everyones cup of tea, but definitly a funny, yet seriously well produced band)

4] * Neil Young's album "on the beach". ...depsite being considered one of his greatest albms ever, he bought all 400,000 copies when it was released in the 70's and buried them in a yard...it just got released last weak for the first time ever on cd or tape and it out sold BEYONCE & SLOAN.

5] * Cliff Martinez ....not exactly a band, but awesome non the less. he did the sundtracks to SOLARIS & TRAFFIC.

please post any comments, reviews, additions, explanations, presonal faves etc.....mainly because i'm in the market for something new.

2. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

Scissor Sisters ROCK!!!!!!!!! Check out his new remix of Blondie's "Good Boys".

Bands I am listening to at the moment:

Broken Social Scene: Sloan Who? What an amazing album.

Dannii Minogue: WOW! What a well produced pop/dance album. The singles have some serious remixes too. I was blown away.

LCD Soundsystem: James Murphy rules!! Interesting and quality prodctions. I like a lot of the DFA productions as well.

Goldfrapp: What can I say about this group? Aural orgasm. This album brought my appreciation of them to a whole new level. Electronic Diva bliss.

Dandy Warhols: Have always loved this band, they are so creative in their approach to recording. This album saw Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran giving them the touch of modern glam they needed.

Primal Sream: One of my all time favourite bands. So diverse. Their album "Evil Heat" is still on heavy rotation in my player. A mix of harsh electronic soundscapes and glam/punk guitar thrashes. GOD I LOVE THIS BAND!!!!!!!!

-E

3. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

It's nothing new, but I never get tired of the prodigy. Or Radiohead I suppose. Nine Inch Nails, James Lavelle, finger eleven, i used to like a bit of catherine wheel, *shrugs*, fuck, I'm all over the place....

that's why techno is pure gold. :)

4. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

New Dandy Warhols album owns!

5. ladd

ladd TRIBE Member

For some reason I cannot stop listening to Black Sabbath.
    It's something about that old, heavy, dark, twisted and almost experimental sound that makes it so damn good.

6. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

If you only knew how many people I know don't like it!

I am glad to see there are other people who love it as much as I do.

:)

7. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

the dandy warhols.. YES MAN!
    heard them first on the good will hunting cd and never looked back. I also respect Elliot Smith because of that cd.

The Dears.
    Queens of the Stone Age.
    White Stripes. (fuck the back lash, the album was recorded for like $13,000 including living expenses).

8. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

I want a remix of "the last day of spring" by the gandharvas. that would own.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  9. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

ELLIOT SMITH IS AN INCREDIBLE SONG WRITER!!!!!

I would never imagine anyone on this board mentioning him. That's awesome!

10. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

Been listeing to ....And You WIll Know Us By The Trail Of Dead's 'Source Tags & Codes' lately. First time around it didnt grab me but I'm fully digging it now.

11. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

Same thing with me. Have you ever given "Cooper Temple Clause" a listen?

You may like them if you haven't.

12. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

it's comments like these:

"I would never imagine anyone on this board mentioning him. That's awesome"

...that make you seem like a pretentious prick.

Destro

13. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

Even though it was intended to be as innocent as innocent can be. It appears certain people seem to want to pick a fight with me the minute other BS drama has subsided.

I don't see any members posting things like that. I was genuinely surprised and happy. Sorry emotions and feelings don't come across my keyboard like they should.

I assume that most people on this board have varied tastes, that's a given. I rarely see the variety of what they like being posted and I don't know them personally so I go by what I see.

If that makes me seem like a prick online, so be it.

Have a pleasant day,
    -E

14. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I like the White Stripes.
    I also like the Justin Timberlake album.
    I like Neil Young.

However, I don't *really* listen to anything other then electronic music/techno.

-ian g.

15. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

They are in town next week.

16. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

I know Sept. 8, I am sooo excited!!! Basic, are you going?

I think they are doing an album release party at Revival too. My friend told me there were limited tickets sold for the event.

17. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

They are playing the 7th and 8th at the OH.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going.

The release party was on August 19th at Revival.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  18. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

I didn't know they were doing two shows, that's great! I guess because the first one sold out.

Have you ever seen them live before? They're great!

19. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

No - I think the second one might be all ages? It's cheaper for some reason.

I've seen them, yes, and they are great!

20. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

Hmm...all ages being cheaper than 19+? That does seem strange considering bar profits and all that.

My only regret is not going to see The Charlatans when the Dandy's opened for them. I love both those bands so much, especially live.

Oh well, I missed lots of things during my rave haze days.

21. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

I love the Charlatans as well - along with Suede (Did you have a Suded shirt on at Fukhouse?).

22. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

Oh My! You are one of the only people to connet my outfit at Fukhouse to my board name.

That was me at Fukhouse. Suede are in my top three favourite bands of all-time.

What did you look like?

23. isoprax

isoprax TRIBE Promoter

I'm a sucker for 50's and 60's rock

my radio ONLY plays 1150 ckco 'all oldies all the time'

and yes I can sing along to EVERY song since nothing new has come out...it's the same couple hundred songs I've listened to for about 18 years.

the stuff gets better everytime I hear it

24. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

I wasn't there - I noticed it in the System pictures that were posted.

25. Suedehead

Suedehead TRIBE Member

Well then it would make sense that you were able to figure it out. Oh well.

Yeah, I don't have horns although it appears some consider me the devil on this board.

Please tell me if you think what I wrote earlier in this thread about Elliot Smith made me seem like a prick? I am really curious for another opinion. I don't know where Destro even got that from?

-E