1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Around the Bay 30 km

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Volant, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Volant

Volant TRIBE Member

Anyone else doing this run this coming sunday???

2. rudebwoy

rudebwoy TRIBE Member

Yupprrs. 5th time. Beware valley inn road...

C.

3. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

I wanted to, but registration filled up too quickly.

And yes, Valley Inn Road is a killer, and in the last 10 km. Steepest hill I've ever tried to run. Good luck to the runners!

4. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

Can I bring my car for this 30Km? ;)

5. rudebwoy

rudebwoy TRIBE Member

Yeah, it is usually full by January. It's gotten a lot more popular in the last few years.

The good thing about living in westdale in hamilton is that I've been able to run the route (the hills) as part of my training, so the deadly valley inn hill isn't such a killer.

The key is to high five the midget for good luck.
    Bring on the rain!

6. Volant

Volant TRIBE Member

it's my first time doing this run! Definitely not looking forward to that hill. And the rain. And the cold. Yes- I suck. :x

J, you can totally bring your car if it means you'll drive me home after ;)

7. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

Sounds good!! Or ill be that guy handing you haterorade as you pass by?

8. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

I raced it on the weekend. It was a lot of fun. I've meant to participate for over 10 years now but it never worked out. So I was pretty happy to finally run it.

I signed up back in November with big aspirations. Then X-mas came and my training went out the window. Got busy at work through Jan & Feb and didn't really do any running. Managed to get 3 weeks in and then got hurt 2 weeks before the race and was off for a week.

Somehow, after all of that I beat my expected result. Really felt the lack of training on that last 13k through the north shore. I was expecting the Valley Inn Rd. to be steeper, but that's not to say it didn't kick my ass.

I can barely walk today!

9. rudebwoy

rudebwoy TRIBE Member

IMO, it's the winter training that really makes it such a tough race. 30km isn't 'that' far, but because you're doing training runs of 20+km in sometime blizzard conditions, it makes the satisfaction of finishing that much sweeter. Congrats on running, and beating your expected result!! I beat my previous best by 6 minutes (ran a 2:48.35), but felt I left a couple minutes on those last few km's...

c.

10. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

Well put! The weather is a definite factor for why I haven't run the 30km distance race yet. I thought this would be a big factor for many, but I'm always amazed at how quickly this race sells out - it seems, for some, that weather is no factor! Realistically though, this is a great prep race for anyone planning to do the marathon circuit, and it gets your racing season off to an early start.

11. Volant

Volant TRIBE Member

mushroom, congrats on beating your expected result after all your roadblocks!

rudebwoy, congrats on shaving off 6 minutes! That's incredible!

This was the longest distance I've ever run in a race, and was more than happy that I didn't die and made it under 3 hours!

I'm also having trouble walking today. :x

12. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

Thanks! It felt good to get my time (although 3 minutes faster would have matched my pre-injury goal).

I'm the same as you Volant, I've never raced or even run that distance before so it was pretty cool.

Good job rudebwoy, always nice to set a new PB!!

So the injury I had picked up was on my right foot, today my left foot started hurting the same way. Hope it doesn't keep me out for a week again. Need to keep training as I have the Sporting Life 10k coming up.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010