• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Armin Van Buuren@Guv

*tranner*

TRIBE Member
I almost didn't make it out for this one, after getting carried away with some pre-drink action and praying to the porcelain gods. I left for the Guv as soon as I could carry myself, and when I got to the lineup at 1:45 the music I could hear through the walls made me feel better. Walking through the winding hallway into the Guv was like walking through memory lane for me; it brought me back to the days when I used to party there on Saturdays of years past. It wasn't the appearance that brough back memories however (all the walls were bare and gutted), it was the music.

I missed the first half hour of Armin's set, but from what I heard it was pretty much ALL trance. And I'm talking about epic, hands in the air, fist pumping trance. I know having your hands above shoulder height for longer than a few seconds is a faux pas around these parts, but my hands were in the air and my fist was pumping away all night. I really couldn't help it, that's just what the music does. And even though it was packed inside the Guvernment, I still danced like mad with the room I had. LOTS of old and new anthems were played, way more than I expected, but they were fun! Hearing that remix of Agnelli and Nelson - Everyday (I think it was the Alex Gold remix) topped it off for me, it brought back a lot of good memories of hearing the original at the Guv back in the day.

The last bit of Armin's set had him and Mark Oliver going back to back, but things stayed all anthemy. After Solar Stone - Seven Cities, which is still one of my fave trance tunes, I kinda felt like I had enough. It was just too much trance for one night. I probably felt that way because Armin's set didn't really progress anywhere, it was over the top the whole time. I liked his set at State a lot better. Nevertheless it was a fun night and I'm glad I was able to make it.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I think this was my First Trance party EVAR! and I must say I was duly impressed. WOW what a night. What tracks. What mixing. And what a crowd. Sure there were the obligatory Ginos without shirts, but if the girls were so nice as to have lengthy discussions with ME out of all people than you know the crowd was super hype.

As my friend dances in his basement to Paul Van Dyk, I will finish off by saying that the Guv was rammmmmed to the teeth but pople started to dish out around 5am which made for more room to dance. SHIT ME i cant get over the friendly atmosphere there. And for ten bucks?!

could not have gone wrong..

next: chem bros
next after: faiina

I still have yet to meet any tribers but im sure i'll one day do so.

word..

q

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Pilotboy
WOW!!!

Lovely evening!
more later
Oh sweetie, you make me laugh. :D You have NO idea how close Paul and I were to getting in the car at 11pm and road tripping it for this one. I wanted to surprise you, but I guess it just wasn't in the cards. (Fawking exams.)

Sounds like an amazing night though.

atomic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by *tranner*
Hearing that remix of Agnelli and Nelson - Everyday (I think it was the Alex Gold remix) topped it off for me, it brought back a lot of good memories of hearing the original at the Guv back in the day.

The last bit of Armin's set had him and Mark Oliver going back to back, but things stayed all anthemy. After Solar Stone - Seven Cities, which is still one of my fave trance tunes

wow... that kinda stuff was my favourite! I woulda been right in my element shakin some serious booty. boo to work!

(yer right, I don't hear those tunes anymore... I thought they were too old by now ;) )

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Access

TRIBE Member
that was a good night

hearing Armin playing Communication was definately the highlight of his set for me. One of my old favorite tracks and hearing the dj who produced it spin it on that guvernement sound system was amazing.

He played some other wicked tracks, alot of them i hadn't heard before. But at 3 - 3:30 he started playing anthem after anthem. Not that i'm complaining though, i thought that was great.

hearing some of my old favorite tracks on the big system there was worth the $10 for me. His mixing was good, the track selection was good, but it seemed like there was something missing. Or maybe it was the fact that there were so many people packed into that space?

mingster

TRIBE Member
The stuff that dreams are made of...

I dreamt about Armin this morning. I kid you not.
He was spinning at the Sky Dome. It was beautiful....

Last night was phenomenal. The line-up was short and fast. We paid $15 to get in, which kinda irked me, but not for long. So we got in, and stood around for a bit by the entrance. People came, people went, and we finally decided to head to the other end of the room. 10 of us, snaking our way through the crowd.

At the other end, we made a niche. People came, people went. We danced. And gave each other looks. I observed the oddities and the commodities in the crowd. But for the first time, the Guv regulars didn't bother me.

Mark Oliver's epic pussy was so fucking cheezy. But I loved it. Combined with the cool little laser show, it was all so cheezy. But I loved it.

Armin.
He was fun, he was hype, he was happy. I could see him up there, well lit up. He had a huge smile on his face. By this, I gage he could see us all going mental. He spun a nice combo of progressive and hard banging shit. Played some tunes I only hear in my car, made me ecstatic. I couldn't move. People would walk around us in waves. Knocking us in all directions. But it was all good. I just jumped up and down alot. I had my hands in the air the whole time, my fist pumping, my mouth smiling a thousand smiles at once. I was screaming! I was happy. :)

At 3:00, we all headed to the patio. Listened a bit more, and decided to call in quits. I wanted to stay, but I was getting tired, hot and juiced on by the ceilings. But I left content. Trance is amazing. I don't care what anybody says. It's fucking beautiful. And I needed that so bad.

Hanging with Nat, Vinder, Keith, Timmy, Toby, Stacey, Kevin (until he left), Malia and her two lovely friends, made it that much better. Probably made it best. :)

Ming.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Re: The stuff that dreams are made of...

Originally posted by mingster
I observed the oddities and the commodities in the crowd.
Nice turn of phrase..

BBB.

..me likee.

I know, it's not an AVB review. Chew my crust if you don't like it.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
There were way to many people there, but the essence of it all was great. A gung-ho free for all moshpit was going on for a while, but I say If someone wants to grab my ass, I say go for it 'cause I gots a nice ass...Anyhoo, Van Burrinator was his usual smiley self building...building....building...the crowd up to such epic proportions that you had no choice but raise you hand in the air and scream! The heat was grand, the crowd was getting annoying, and I was thirsty....so were others. So me being the big gallooot that I am, I power through the crowd like a bulldozer (this was to be a reoccruing theme throughout the night) Fun was had by all, and I got to hang out with 4 of the hottest women on the planet all night! Cept one decided to try to mount me on Queens Quay at 3:38am and almost took out my tooth. To all the ladies and the mens I partied with last night...Just follow me through the crowd, it'll all be good ;)

T.T.

swilly

TRIBE Member
It was a bit too crowded for my liking but i guess what can you do. I cannot believe how expensive drinks were one minute I have 60 dollars next thing i know i broke. For what it's worth, I would say it was a great night( I think i cant remember much of it).
swilly

vinder

TRIBE Member
for the last little while, all of the parties i've been going to were of the prog/house/techno variety. dirty is what you'd call the music. always lots of fun, lots of dancing. the music always brings an angry little snarl to my face when i dance.

trance however, brings the hugest smile to my face and makes me scream like it was my first time. fists pumping, body jumping, this is what trance does to me. pure big party music.

last night was all that and a bag of chips. mark oliver started the night off amazingly. i don't know what to say about this guy. first, a little banging, and i emphasize banging, prog. then, brings on a little fluffier prog, then WHAMO! here comes the trance. good lord, even in my 1.5 by 1.5 feet square of space, i was shaking my ass, thrashing my head about, all the while with my fists in the air. the tunes made the crowd go absolutely insane.

then armin came on, and yup, big time epic pussy trance right from the get go. they had a big spotlight on him, and you could see the huge smile on his face. he just fed off the crowd, dropping huge tune after huge tune, bouncing and dancing behind the decks. for the first hour or so, he provided the cure for my itch for trance. i was completely sober, but rushing like mad. he then switched pace and started dropping some heavy prog, percussion ablazin' type stuff that just makes me go nuts. then went back to the trance again, and again, the crowd exploded. the crowd responded to him almost in the same way as for s&d last week, i couldn't believe my luck. all this for $15 (eve though it was supposed to be $10 before midnight, but the girl at the door was like "it doesn't matter what time it is, it's FIFTEEN DOLLARS!!).

i think the night is best summed up by what i was like most of the night.

eyes closed, ass shaking, screaming, and fist pumping. only trance will make me do all that in one night.

cheers to the absolutely wicked crew who came out last night, you guys were the reason i enjoyed myself so much as it didn't matter what the guv crowd was like, cause i was surrounded by such great people.

Pilotboy

TRIBE Member
Ok, I'm better now that I've had a nap. Again, what a night!!! Best way to describe it----Relentless. I didnt sit down once from the moment we got there to the moment they were shoving us out early in the morning. I was sure to see people get knocked over by the hundreds of people who were throwing themselve in every way possible.

Was very happy with the track selection, ranging from classic to newer ones. Had forgotten how good Airwaves sounded when blared on one of the best sound systems in the country:D As usual, the place was packed up until 4 when the place started clearing out. Good job to Mark Oliver for keeping the party going til the end. Wasn't a lot of familiar faces but was very pleased with the energy and enthusiasm the crowd had.

Had a friend from Ottawa with me who had never partied in Toronto before. Needless to say she will be coming back shortly.

Lates

Jazz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vinder
trance however, brings the hugest smile to my face and makes me scream like it was my first time. fists pumping, body jumping, this is what trance does to me. pure big party music.
totally agree with u, I thought you might have lost your love for trance mr. techno snob, but I guess not ;) last night brought me back to my early days of partying, trance is what got me into electronic music and it's nice to feel that energy, that rush, the hands in the air madness from a wikked trance set... unlike no other...

AVB was absolutely off the hook last night, dropped a stunning, beautiful set... he was really feeding off the crowd during the whole night, you could feel it in the music he was spinning... he was good at state, but last night his performance was in a different league... AVB proved to me last night that he is definitely the top dutch trance DJ, above corsten and tiesto...

I was surprised to see quite a few TBK at this party, isn't it an unwritten rule that TBK aren't supposed to go to guvernment on spin saturdays? :p shouts to vinder and keith, see you guys in the UK for the guaranteed insanity that will be Homelands!

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jazz

totally agree with u, I thought you might have lost your love for trance mr. techno snob, but I guess not ;)
it came back last week. it was full throttle last night.
I was surprised to see quite a few TBK at this party, isn't it an unwritten rule that TBK aren't supposed to go to guvernment on spin saturdays? :p shouts to vinder and keith, see you guys in the UK for the guaranteed insanity that will be Homelands!
haha steve, i remember when we used to be stage dwellers...ah shit i said that out loud...

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
well despite the fact that i nearly got crushed to death and died, i had fun! it was CRAZY packed but it didn't seem to last that long. i swear people have absolutely no concept of space. i dunno...maybe it's just me but i don't flail around, hitting people and stepping on them! and even politely asking someone to stop backing into me did not work. then it was time to break out the elbows and do some heel kicking :D

so...onto the music. armin was good. it was totally fun to have like a full-on anthemic trance night, but i think it would get old if it was like that all the time. i had hoped he would play more "nu" stuff but whatever. i had fun reminiscing. and i think mark was the one who actually played all the stuff i really wanted to hear - 1998 (almost had a heart attack), Xpander (it's just sooooo beautiful :) ), my lexicon, and stage one.

my verdict: totally absolutely fun. not an amazing set, but good enough to have me shaking my ass for 5 hours :)

vinder

TRIBE Member
ack, totally forgot. armin dropping madagascar was the highlight of my evening. i think my head exploded at that point.

doodlebug

TRIBE Member
fun, fun, fun!

oh, SO much fun!
From the second he stepped up, to the time we got out of there, Armin had my ass SHAKIN'!!!! Wow. What can I say, it was a night of excellent music - and excellent people too! Well, not the weirdos that were all mashed out or the shirtless ginos, but of course the crew of happy and always smiling friends who were dancing by my side;)
And I absolutely LOVED the crowd/dj interraction - was nice to see everyone, including Armin, with a big smile on their face.
I don't think I'll EVER go to the Guvernment on a saturday night again though, it was a bit too much for me.

Even when we were leaving we STILL had to get in some last minute ass-shaking!!!
GO ARMIN and GO coat check dancing crew!!!

thanks for a fun night to everyone who was there!!!!:D

natalie:D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Well, after some much needed rest last night, my review is quite like many others....what an amazing night indeed. The music, friendly faces, and lights and sound made one helluva night....even though I could have been bitter due to the fact that I was being jolted around like a pinball at times.

I've never really seen/heard Mark Oliver spin, but what I did see I was quite impressed. And then Armin himself.....one word. wow.

So many times the track would drop, then myself, Vinder, Doodlebug, Lil' Timmy, Cheer Bear, Galactic Phantom, Mingster, Finary, and Girl Friday would proceed to jump like grinning idiots....and I wouldn't of had it any other way:)

Bias

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
I guess it's about time I posted on here.

I had a blast.

I remember 4 Strings being mixed in during one part of his set and going fucking APESHIT.

Ahhh....I love trance.

"I CAN FEEEEEEEEEL THE MUSIC!" ;)

It was amazing. I had fun molesting fellow tribe members as well.

YAY ARMIN!

;)

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
I did not overly enjoy my Guv experience this time, but AvB was pretty good. Personally, I enjoyed AvB's set more when he played with Orkidea at Docks; this time round he played one epic track after another, much to the delight of the 1,000 ginos I was surrounded by.

Even though I'm a hardcore trance addict, I couldn't get into all the classic tunes, one right after the other, for so long. When Airwave came on, sometime after Communication, I was like, "OK, enough is enough". Thankfully, Orange Room had some prog house. The heart of the crowd in the middle of the floor was real nice, people were jumpin, sorta similar to Sasha and Digweed, but not nearly the same type of love that only S&D can produce.

I guess the next event after S and D isnt really fair - no DJ can compare. Not only that, the crowd sucked ass compared to the crowd for Digweed, but what can you expect? - when you pay 40 bucks for a ticket your goin to dance and love the music, not shove people in order to show off your physique.

I'm glad their shuttin Guv for awhile - maybe when it reopens we can get a litte more positive vibe in that place.

Trancit

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spiritual_Thang

I'm glad their shuttin Guv for awhile - maybe when it reopens we can get a litte more positive vibe in that place.

^^^^^......and maybe NEW security:rolleyes:.......

......anyway......Sat night at the Guv with AVB was THE best night that I had ever since I started going to the Guv....Some people mention that they payed 15$ but when we got there (early) we payed 10$ so I guess management got a lil greedy.I knew that it was gonna be wall to wall bodies as soon as we got there.I was gonna stick around the front ON stage but had the most amazing spot.I ended up on top of those speaker/gogo dancer platforms.I danced on top of those for like 4 hours and had ALL the room I needed to dance.I could NOT believe how packed it was from where I was dancing.....HOLY SHIT:eek: ...I wished I had a camara to take a pic of the sea of bodies....As for AVB, well he kicked severe ASS. I loved those older trance tunes and that Mark O/AVB duel was SO good .....I was with all my friends (Anthony,Sandra,Kurt from Buffalo, Rob, tall Stave,Marcus,Lloyd,tall John[what do u mean, NO bandanas???],Matt & Karen,Shaun who I then saw at Comfort Zone and many others) that night and I was in trance heaven....what more did I need :) ....We stayed right until closing...I MUST thank Mark Oliver as well...Alot of people left after AVB but Mark spun some sick tracks.I truly went apeshit when he put on my true favorite track: "Saltwater" by Chicane....I went TOTALLY crazy... I have NEVER heard that track on a loud sound system like the Guvs....oh man that track sounded so beautiful....
I met alot of great people that night as well but forgot alot of their names :( but I hope to see them all soon.

Robby

can't get enough of my AVB:eek:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories