• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Armand Van Helden

diablo

TRIBE Member
One of the top five big-room producers of the 90s, for sure.

So many of his tunes sound as fresh today ad they did in 94/96/98/2000.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

dtox

TRIBE Member
can you say......funk phenomena

I still will play it out and it still will make em all lose their shit.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
his tunes are awesome because they make people go fucking nuts, but i find the production and structure of some of them really odd. i have the worst time playing You Don't Even Know Me unless i play the entire 8 minute record.

b

digiram79

TRIBE Member
He's def. one of my fav. producers of all time, but I'm not feeling his newer stuff lately. The last track that I really liked from his was Everytime I feel it(Sykes and Sugarstar dub is just sick).

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
you say that i'm not living right...

what armand has done should get him into the house music hall of fame.

"You Don't Even Know Me" is so hype... WITCH DOKTOR! WHOOP! ... he has made dance floor bombs....

technics1200 technics1200 technics1200

diablo

TRIBE Member
He's even done some really mind-blowing stuff that never even blew up. Remember that "Greatest Hits" comp of his with the apple core on the cover? That has some gems on it.

"Break Night" by The Mole People makes me lose it.

diablo

TRIBE Member
le bricoleur said:
really? i'm going to have another listen to that. i have it on a Strictly Rhythm comp. album but i never play it.

It's killer.

Totally not Armand's usual big-room style. It's much more...I don't know...subdued? I always mix it with "Come Together" by That Kid Chris. Very similar vibe.

AshG

diablo said:
He's even done some really mind-blowing stuff that never even blew up. Remember that "Greatest Hits" comp of his with the apple core on the cover? That has some gems on it.

"Break Night" by The Mole People makes me lose it.

yeah i've got that.
dope tunes throughout.

Pudding

TRIBE Member
saw him at the sherbourne hotel in Miami during WMC...totally rocked the place. the video for "when the lights go down" is totally awesome !

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Pudding said:
saw him at the sherbourne hotel in Miami during WMC...totally rocked the place. the video for "when the lights go down" is totally awesome !

His set @ Ultra had to be one of my top 5 from Miami...1.5 hours of bomb track after bomb track, and the entire tent was bustin' a move...ahhh, the memories...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I remember the first time he came to Toronto to DJ when he was just blowing up as a producer - I think it was in 95 or 96. He played at the Phipps St, Warehouse with Kevin Williams and he couldn't mix 2 records together at all. It was really bad. Kevin, who was probably the best technical DJ in the city at the time probably scared him off for a few years. When he did come back eventually he was much better.

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
I'll never forget waiting for the washroom stall in the Orange Room years ago when he was headling the Guv.

all of the sudden the door to the can opens up, and this dude dressed up real kind of like rockstarish (lol) and I kind of just stood there like ..."who the fuck is this guy?" but in a nice kind of way.

sure enough Armands on the decks and its the was the same dude that walked out of the stall.

after his set he left the stage with 2drop dead georgeous woman on each arm and i went up to him and kind of just said "hey dude nice set"

he stopped shook my hand , thanked me.....ask me if im having a good time and went on his way...

so yeah ....seems like a solid dude, and yeah classic records..

and BTW Flowerz was HUGE at Zone. but "You Dont Even Know Me" blew the roof off the fuckin house!!!!!!

:D

ps...dont forget the track that goes "Saturday...Saturday" forget the actual name but he was a co -producer for that track

poker face

TRIBE Member
Flowers is ass.

When I use to play back in the day everone wanted it. But I wouldent play it because the beat was shit and it was some fairy complaining about how his boy woulden't give him flowers.

what is weird I had a fuck up dream the other night and armand was in it. But he looked different I think he didn't have the chin strap beard anymore.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
there are a few remixes of My My My that make me want to DIE.
his New York Mix CD is fun.
I'd love to see him spin live.

that is all. good day.