• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

area:one

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I wanted to see Carl Cox so bad and the lineup was just... so horrible. He was literally saying "goodbye" right when I got in after 45 minutes (or longer?) in line.

People kept jumping the line and the snake barriers were just killing me. I thought it was going to be in a so-called tent. I also hate the low ceiling that lowers as it nears the back at the Dock's. It muffles the sound in the middle and there was no room to dance near the front.

And I paid 73 for the Roots, Outkast and Cox. Saw one of them.

And I've seen Moby b4 and he always does the same show. It mirrored his Warehouse show but this time, he just wouldn't shut up. And he kept doing that "thankyathankyathankya" thing he ALWAYS does at every show. He even did the same mock covers with his guitar. Like seeing a comedian's set twice, I guess.

I'm totally whining about this.
biggrin.gif

But like I said b4, the pizza was good, ahem.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

billy

TRIBE Member
i saw moby ages ago at that see the light tour thing with orbital, vapourspace and the aphex twin. sounds like he's still doing the same songs and antics. I have to ask - did he do that jesus thing where he stands with his arms extended during "thousand"?

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by billy:
I have to ask - did he do that jesus thing where he stands with his arms extended during "thousand"?</font>

Yes.

JuJuHound

TRIBE Member
ALL u winers, would you like some cheeze to go wit dat WINE!!!

Very well organized, CARL COX, awesome, too short though,
ORB was just BORING, too ambient, espacially after CARL COX...
OKEY was not too bad, missed OUTKAST
MOBY TALKs TOO FUCKIN MUCH!!! SHUTUP GUY!!
awesome when he played some of his old shit

BEatifull girls!!!

Figures it taked a huge Co. like INTEL to throw some $$$$ in and organize a nice Sunday afternoon....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

drave

TRIBE Promoter
I was drawn to the Area:One festival for some of the music, so I just figured I would wing it and see where I could park myself to basically just hear it and watch the sun go down and mix brown stuff with tobacco.

My date (first date) and I ended up down at cherry beach lying around tall grasses looking at the blue sky and bird flying and drinking some peach apple sparkly wine and laughing and fooling around and stuff. You could hear music a bit in the background.

When the sun was falling a bunch, we got on our bikes and made it to the other side of the docks where there was a massive parking lot across the channel from the concert. The security at the parking was looking mean when we showed up - i thought we wouldn't be allowed in - but they just said for us to walk our bikes, not ride them. Yeah!!!!

So we walked out to the end of Pier 35 where somepeople were drinking out of the back of trucks like an old=school tailgate party and stuff, but then went further to sit on the end and watch the sun go down. It was lovely and the Outcasts were great to listen to while kissing this beautiful I was with. Mmmmmm....

After the sun went down, we walked back to check out Moby do his thing. I have seen Roots, Oakey, Cox, but not Moby. It was a pretty good lighting setup with crazy lazers and I could imagine that the crowd was pretty happy. They were moving a bit and the Outkasts had them pretty stoked by that time. I was really happy to check him out finally.

Just as I was wondering what would happen next, a sailboat pulls up in front of us in this channel between us and the concert and there are some friends of mine on there barbequeing hamburgers - imagine! So I jumped in with these warm souls and burgers and got our bikes in the boat and got a drink.

After Moby was over, we meandered over to the dock of the docks and got out. I have never seen such an unhappy, worn out group of people ever. There were some absolutely beautiful, well scrubbed suburbanites all over the place, but where were the smiles? Lots of upscale sportswear on the boys (w/sunglasses), and chic strapless or backless (if they were cool like 2 years ago) tops and those rose or blue coloured seventies sunglasses on the girls - real hot ones too.

The place had suburbs written all over it.

Funny that someone should mention feeling like they were at a musical - where affluent out of towners shell out $100 for 'entertainment', not an 'experience' (an experience presumes that you are an integral part of it, entertainment means you paid beforehand and you are there to collect what is rightfully yours) - the crowd was those polished boring people you see saying the dumbest flattest stuff at second rate musicals, only it was their kids.

When I had been biking earlier in the afternoon, I saw such a line up of shiny brand new cars all the way down Lakeshore (imagine the days when people actually walked to a rave or something, that's so old skool....) that it must have taken a couple of hours to get in. On bike - 2 minutes.
I think that suburbanites actually like waiting in line, it gives them something to bitch about and they are just sheep anyway. That would explain the lineups inside, Suburbanites like them (Daily life = cueing at traffic lights, cueing at on ramps on the highways, cueing in traffic jams, cueing at underground parking or go trains, cueing at elevators in their buildings downtown, cueing at the mall, cueing at prepackaged events.....etc.)

My friends said that they were there earlier (free entry with a boat?) and there was a wicked dj playing earlier in the day, maybe the one before kevin saunderson that someone mentioned earlier, but noone was dancing at all. My friends were literally running around telling people that they could and should dance, then getting them moving in their strange wooden way. When I went in later in the night, there was still no one dancing, just some couples sort of grinding each other or necking in the dance floor to some really cheezy poppy progressive/regressive.

This is what happens when you approach an 'underground' event with marketing traditionally associated with big concerts and with sports events. The musicians get to wax all philosophical about being underground in interviews, but they are really talking about 10 years ago. The success story usually goes that the mainstream is finally accepting the underground, but the reality is that the 'forces that be' are just figured out how to shove it down the boring consumers' throats by stripping everything that was special about it in the first place away from it - ie. emphasis on vibe. And then replacing it with the things that should not matter - ie. emphasis on superstars.

No matter the caliber of the superstars, I urge people not to support this type of thing. Please listen to a great local dj, pay the $10-20 bucks at the door to support them. Come home with a smile and $90 bucks extra by checking someone who plays like you are special each time you see them. Ie AMtrak, Tim Patrick, Marty Mcfly, Lee Osborne, Ali Black, Kenny Glasgow. You may not know your local dj, but you should. And don't get caught paying for way more superstars than you could ever possibly enjoy in one weekend.

Any way, thank you to Area
redface.gif
ne for drawing me down to the water and the sunset and to some good friends on the water for a fantastic first date with a lovely girl, and thanks to God/Mohammed/Vishnu that I didn't actually pay to go into that sad place.

dave

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I had fun drinking in the outdoor beer garden. Thanks goes to MC Bias for the free ticket hookup, I'll get you back in two weeks.
smile.gif

I was there for two reasons;
1. Carl Cox
2. Roots

saw neither!!
The line was too big for Cox and you all know about Roots. I even tried to grease a bouncer $50 to let me through the VIP line for Carl Cox but that didn't work. I basically just drank and talked to friends in the beer garden. I really liked Outkast but they weren't on very long. My question is when the hell were the Roots going to play if they had been there? Hopefully taken some time away from that pretentious schmuck Moby.
I definitely had a good time but no better than an afternoon at the Black Bull patio.
Bumbaclat

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
^^^ The Main Stage that the Roots were supposed to play on started up @ 3:30, instead of 2:30 as originally posted...

and to whoever said they didn't see anyone dancing, you obviously weren't in there for Carl Cox, it was a madhouse in there...

mcbee

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lostintheEhole:
TBK I saw : Mcbee walked by me, and was standing behind Norm (that 420 guy) for quite sometime... I'm sort of shy though so kept to myself...

</font>

really? you should have come say hi!!

i had a great "day of fun"!! started off with delcious breakfest to get ourselves fueled up for the day....

kevin and i got there at 2...had to wait for a bit before the gates actually opened. no worries tho, good company and some tasty slurpees helped the wait go by smoothly!

once inside, we hit the beer tent of course. am i that predictable that people just assume that i'll be in the beer area drinking blue? dj velocity assumed that and lo and behold he found us quite easily! the umbrellas in the beer tent made for some nice cover as the rain pelted down for a bit.

once the rain cleared it was time to enjoy the music. rhinocerse was a definite pleasant surprise! glad to have some funky live house to start the day!! after that kevin and i braved the line to get in to see Carl Cox. once again, thanks for bearing with me in the line kevin! anxiety levels were huge and claustriphobia began to set in but finally we got in. i was so happy to have waited....carl cox was well worth it! the place was jumping!!! kinda bizarre that a full on rave (complete with some middle aged etards) was happening in the middle of a sunday afternoon! despite the crowdness, i was determined to get my dancing in. holy sweaty workout batman!! dancing my ass off for the whole set!!

after cox, we got the hell out of the docks and back outside in time for a little incubus and then outkast. outkast was definatley enjoyable....heard all the hits and then some. they definately put on a show. loved the blue haired backup singer!

all in all, i'm glad i didn't pay for the event or i would have been dissappointed! but we managed to have fun all day....dancing, hanging with my friends, people watching to the max (holy hot girls and boys everywhere!) and just generally having an adventure!!

thanks to dan, cheli and kevin for all the fun.
extra special thanks to kevin for offering to do the heimlich on me later in the evening
wink.gif
what a sweetheart.

smile.gif
sarah

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mcbee:
extra special thanks to kevin for offering to do the heimlich on me later in the evening
wink.gif
what a sweetheart.
</font>

I'm always up for trying my new inventions!!

I had like 3 external and 5 internal changes of heart in the lineup, but in the end I'm glad we went in Sarah!
smile.gif

MoFo

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by basic:

and to whoever said they didn't see anyone dancing, you obviously weren't in there for Carl Cox, it was a madhouse in there...
</font>

It was me. And nope, I didn't get in time. VERY disappointed. I was so pumped when I finally got in and then when I saw that it was the end, my heart slumped.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by basic:
I had like 3 external and 5 internal changes of heart in the lineup, but in the end I'm glad we went in Sarah!
smile.gif

</font>

me too. line ups make me MENTAL. meeehhhhh
mad.gif

anyhoo. it all worked out for the best.
what an adventure ALL day long!

smile.gif
sarah

p.s. sunny, i'm sorry you didn't get in in time for carl cox. that dude seriously rocked the docks!! mayhem i tells ya

Lucid MC

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by koz:
hootie hoo, bless their stank asses.

I found out that the Roots were a no show as soon as I got in and that really pissed me off. But damn, OutKast more than made up for it, with an amazing performance. Made my way up to the front right after Incubus's performance and had to wait 45 mins while they setup. But as soon as I saw Big Boi and Andre come on stage, it was only me and the Atliens. I can't remember what track they started off with but it certainly got me very hyper. Andre dressed in his signature blond wig, reflective shades and pink...costume thing, rocked the mic hard on Aquemini. Dropping "one of the illest verses of all times". Big Boi was tearing shit up his own way, with Dungeon Family stiched across the back of his overalls he repped the dirty south to the fullest. Tracks performed, Atliens, Aquemini, So Fresh and So clean, Humble mumble, Spaghetti Junction, gasoline dreams, art of story tellin part 1, bombs over baghdad. I wish they had dropped at least on track of their first album though. Stage setup looked really sharp, from the excellent lighting to sharp sound up front.

As for the rest of the show, Rhincerose were interesting, didn't really get too see too much of them though. Caught the end of New Deals set and they sounded pretty good. Caught a big of Kevin Saunderson he was pumping those basslines pretty hard. Watched Carl Cox for about 20 mins, he had the crowd really hype but I wasn't really into what he was playing. The Docks looked excellent. Nice setup with the screens everywhere and excellent lighting. It was really packed though and was a bitch to navigate.
Mobys set was pretty good, excellent lighting. He looked like a monkey on speed, jumping around from one instrument to another and at one point jumping into the crowd! Had people pretty entertained.
The crowd seemed chilled, not overly friendly or rude. Everyone seemed to be doing their own thing and having a good time. All in all a pretty descent show.

peace.

------
save a life: http://www.thehungersite.com
</font>

im am so unbeleavbly pissed i missed outkast..

personally if they just did teh ATliens album i woulda been happy!

tobywan

TRIBE Member
When I first got there, around 4:30, The New Deal was on stage, and I was mighty impressed...live breakbeat progressive house...mmmmm

I was able to get in to the Docks to see Carl Cox, only because a security guard was distracted...now, I've never seen Cox before, and I've heard ALOT about him, and he definately lives up to the hype! It was weird though, looking at my watch, only being 5pm on a Sunday afternoon, and Cox has the Docks going like a Madhouse...
smile.gif

Like many others have said, it was nothing special, but what a way to end an already incredible weekend...

Bias

Dr Trance

TRIBE Member
The local DJ many of you have been talking about who opened in The Docks is in fact Michael Drury, Music Director of 1groove.com.
You can hear him spin Saturdays in the VIP lounge at System. And, accordinging to Eye Weekly's readers, he's one stylin' dude.

~UrbanFire~

TRIBE Member
I loved the whole thing, Saunderson kicked out an amzing set, followed by a sweet kick ass cox set, made my way outside caught some of the new deal, not too impressed. I wasn't sure what to expect from outkast but DAMN can they put on a show, caught a little bit of Oakenfold's set, wicked as hell, Moby put on a hell of a show, except some of his song pauses were too drawn out other than that, kick ass event, lookin forward to Mekka, not the Toronto kind, the Detroit variety, gotta see BT (again) and Crystal Method.

The Peej

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by solacevip:
Um....

I guess that means I should save my $$ and skip Mekka huh?

How was security Alex?
</font>

Mekka is not some fat guy sitting in an office in the states saying "hey this techno disco stuff is real popular these days! Let's fly that Moby character to Toronto and take kids' money from them!" It's a collective of people who've been doing club nights, as well as parties Big and Small. ( ex. Freakin two years ago ). I think that Mekka will definately feel different... but it won't be "vibeless". People make a party, not big name DJ's contrary to what SFX would have us believe... I mean come on they do "country" concerts, they don't know what we want! Next time you come out of a party and see a Mekka flyer monkey, talk to them. You'll be surprised. They care about the party, not about "getting rid of all these damn flyers". I'm not saying the Area One guys were bad promoters... It's just a different style... one that gets learned from years in the scene... not by hiring some big shot P.R. guy who happens to know who Carl Cox is. I'm gonna cut myself off there because I'm over the "two cent" limit. I just wanted people to get the idea that while Mekka may be big... it's not cold and without feeling... Take my word it's all good people.

PJ

poker face

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Trance:
The local DJ many of you have been talking about who opened in The Docks is in fact Michael Drury, Music Director of 1groove.com.
You can hear him spin Saturdays in the VIP lounge at System. And, accordinging to Eye Weekly's readers, he's one stylin' dude.
</font>

thanks for the plug!

lol

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Trance:
The local DJ many of you have been talking about who opened in The Docks is in fact Michael Drury</font>

I've met him and heard him spin a couple of times. Love his music, and he rocks that VIP room every saturday. Nice guy too!

flea