• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Are work benefits worth it?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
?

I guess some people don't have the option, and others have to pay a lot to gain these benefits.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually done the math.
 

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
?

I guess some people don't have the option, and others have to pay a lot to gain these benefits.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually done the math.
like, what fees are you talking about? union fees?


how do i pay for my benefits?
 

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Are work benefits worth it?

Originally posted by mingster
like, what fees are you talking about? union fees?


how do i pay for my benefits?
companies will deuct a % from your pay.
 
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I WISH I had benefits....but I don't know if I'd give up 15-20% of my paycheque for them. (The value of the standard benefit package)
 

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Are work benefits worth it?

Originally posted by mingster
like, what fees are you talking about? union fees?


how do i pay for my benefits?
Well, I don't work for a unionized company, but we still get a percentage of our paycheck deducted for health and dental.
 

tablist

TRIBE Member
Will, I've got no benefits, and I wouldn't wan them either. If you need a check up from the dentist, it's cheaper than paying for benefits you may or may not use. I'm a contract employee tho, so I wouldn't be given them anyhow. What % comes off your pay for it?
 

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by tablist
Will, I've got no benefits, and I wouldn't wan them either. If you need a check up from the dentist, it's cheaper than paying for benefits you may or may not use. I'm a contract employee tho, so I wouldn't be given them anyhow. What % comes off your pay for it?
I'm not sure what the percentage is.

I just got hired on as permanent staff so I guess I'll find out.
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Mine aren't worth it!!!!!


For the $200 I got back last year it would have been far far cheaper to have not had coverage and just paid the bill.


If your healthy unmarried and don't have children than the benifits are never worth the price. If your married and have children its the exact opposite.
 
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

tablist

TRIBE Member
I wonder if you can ask to not be included in the benefits package? I doubt they'll let you, but it's worth a shot. Maybe talk to somebody in HR. PM or e-mail if you need some names.
 

deveator

TRIBE Member
My company gives you the choice, but they also only offer benefits after your first year of employment. It would have been way cheaper last year to just pay my dental bills. I paid out about $600.00 in benefits and only $500.00 in dental bills (dental surgery) only got back about $250. last year my coverage was only 60% dental now it is bumped up to 85%
 

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I going to need a helth plan when I graduate. As long as I'm in school I'm covered by my Dad's health plan (bonus for me). At the start of the year we didn't fill out the forms, so i wasn't under his coverage. 2 months worth of diabetic supplies would have cost me $300+, I paid $3. No matter what the prescription is I always pay $3. So yeah it's worth it, On top of prescriptions I get semi private coverage if I need the hospital, 80% of my ambulance bills covered, dental, and doctors check-ups. You'd have to be an idiot to turn that down!
 

deveator

TRIBE Member
I guess it is worth it just in case. It is like travel insurance you are taking a big risk if you don't have it. My one friend would have to pay out $300/month for a regular perscription but only pays a $3.00 dispensing fee because it is fully covered by our benefits. In that case totally worth it. I have no medication that I am on right now but if in the future I was to ever get sick and require medication on a regulr basis I would go broke without my Health benefits. So paying $30.00/ paycheque is worth it I guess:confused:
 

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Benefits are like insurance.
They seem pointless till you need them.

Benefits are a real perk.

I say they are worth it, though I did on Contract for 2 years without them.

When you get older, or have a family, then they are worth every penny.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Benefits are totally worth it. I pay $200 a year for mine. Just going to the dentist twice for a cleaning makes it worthwhile. Add in vision and prescriptions, it totally pays for itself.
 

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I WISH I had benefits....but I don't know if I'd give up 15-20% of my paycheque for them. (The value of the standard benefit package)
Mine is less than that. As people have said, they're worth it if you need them. I had a lot of dental work (fillings) done earlier this year and it was all covered. I don't use too many prescriptions but my birth control is covered...and I love massages (bad lower back). I also wear contacts/glasses..the exam is covered the years that OHIP doesn't, and the cost of the lenses is also partially paid for. Travel insurance is another part of my package.

I have one friend with lots of health problems...she wasn't taking care of herself because she couldn't afford it (her job pays her by the hour and she doesn't get a health plan). She went back to school and got health coverage, and it's helped her a great deal.

~jen
 

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I WISH I had benefits....but I don't know if I'd give up 15-20% of my paycheque for them. (The value of the standard benefit package)
That's a lot of money to be paying, or you had a really small paycheque.

Mine are less than 1% of my paycheque.
 

chooch

TRIBE Member
currently negotiating a contract postion that does not include benefits...what compensation is normal if you have stated that you would like lack of benefits compensated and they have agreed? just curious as to what i can expect.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I don't even think I pay for mine (why working for a large corporation rules sometimes!!). They give us a set amount of money that we can allocate between different levels of health, dental, LTD and Life Insurance benefits.

If we want more than standard coverage, we can have it deducted from our paycheques, but it comes out to something really insignificant like $5 per pay (if even that much).

And I believe that if I wish to opt out, I can, and get a cash reimbursment for it. :D

I make it to the dentist once or twice per year and it's worth it.
 

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
Mine is less than that. As people have said, they're worth it if you need them. I had a lot of dental work (fillings) done earlier this year and it was all covered. I don't use too many prescriptions but my birth control is covered...and I love massages (bad lower back). I also wear contacts/glasses..the exam is covered the years that OHIP doesn't, and the cost of the lenses is also partially paid for.
Those are all of the same reasons why I want them. Especially b/c I need my wisdom teeth out and there's no way I can fork over the cash myself for that kind of procedure.
 

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
one should check it out, some people have things like massage benefits that they never use. People like myself.

Dental Plan.
 

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chooch
currently negotiating a contract postion that does not include benefits...what compensation is normal if you have stated that you would like lack of benefits compensated and they have agreed? just curious as to what i can expect.
Check with a provider like Blue Cross to see what they would charge you for a benefit package. Should give you an idea of what to use when negotiating.
 

Adam

TRIBE Member
My benefits are also pretty sweet as far as I can tell, but I've only needed to use the drug plan a few times.

My pension plan (HOOPP) is definitely worth it. I get 126% of my contributions, which I've been told is second only to the Teachers.

But they also get to own the Leafs, so they win again.
 
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit
Top