• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Are concrete countertops any good?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I will pobably end up having to do a kitchen renovation in January and I am looking at a variety of durable counter surfaces. It seems that concrete countertops are becoming more popular and I have some questions about them... I can't afford engineered stone so I will probably end up getting granite or concrete.

Do any of you have concrete countertops in your kitchens? Are they any good? Are they low maintenance? How are they compared to granite?

Liability

TRIBE Member
I will pobably end up having to do a kitchen renovation in January and I am looking at a variety of durable counter surfaces. It seems that concrete countertops are becoming more popular and I have some questions about them... I can't afford engineered stone so I will probably end up getting granite or concrete.

Do any of you have concrete countertops in your kitchens? Are they any good? Are they low maintenance? How are they compared to granite?
A properly created and sealed concrete countertop offers the same level of maintenance requirments as granite. They are also just as durable and pouring/staining techniques now offer a variety of looks.

It is a little harder to find someone who specializes in this and your supporting cabinents will need to be appropriate to support the weight. However, that is not much different than ranite.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A properly created and sealed concrete countertop offers the same level of maintenance requirments as granite. They are also just as durable and pouring/staining techniques now offer a variety of looks.

It is a little harder to find someone who specializes in this and your supporting cabinets will need to be appropriate to support the weight. However, that is not much different than granite.
This is for my place in South Africa. I am looking for a durable solution because people rent my place out fro time to time and it needs to stand up to that. I don't think there are many people who do concrete countertops there, but I am looking.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
I've heard that they're extremely susceptible to staining. Anything acidic: wine, lemon juice, vinegar, will leave a permanent mark. But perhaps having them "properly sealed" as Liability noted alleviates that problem.