• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Are cat5e and cat6 connectors the same or different?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am doing some network upgrades in my house and was thinking about changing my cat5e cable to cat6. Are the connectors the same? Will it work with my existing network switch, modem, lan cards etc. Or will I have to get adapters to make the new cable fit?

lobo

TRIBE Member
The connectors are just different enough in that you need a CAT6 crimper. The size of it is still the same so they will fit on any peice of equipment that supports your existing Cat5e connections. Curious though, why do you feel you need to change your CAT5e to CAT6? There's no real benefit to it for home use unless you want better shielding and stiffer cables.

Lobo

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The connectors are just different enough in that you need a CAT6 crimper. The size of it is still the same so they will fit on any peice of equipment that supports your existing Cat5e connections. Curious though, why do you feel you need to change your CAT5e to CAT6? There's no real benefit to it for home use unless you want better shielding and stiffer cables.

Lobo
Well it urns out a lot of my home cabling is cat5 and I was going to replace that with something more future-ready and possibly faster.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
I'd say stick with 5e. Unless you want to turbo upgrade your home for 10 gigabit use (effectively) I don't see the use.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Cat5e is already capable of Gigabit speeds within a home. All Cat6 is going to give you is better shielding and even then it won't be capable of 10G speeds and fibre will be your friend for that.

Lobo

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well I bought some cat6 anyway and rewired the house today. It was only a few pennies more so I thought why not. I added a gigibit router and switch and my home network now speedtests 8-9x faster than it did before the upgrade. I also picked up a 4 disk NAS which I will put in the basement (for backup purposes mostly). I hope to batch scan a bunch of film and slides and the NAS will come in handy for storing those files too.