• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Are Brookfield Office Properties stealing bikes at Yonge & Bloor?

Is this pole a privately owned pole, or a public owned pole?

• It's a public pole, you should be able to lock your bike to it

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • It's a privately owned pole, the property manager is allowed to remove bikes from it.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

"Today, my bike was stolen.
Or at least I thought it was stolen. After a 90-minute client meeting at Yonge/Bloor, my bike had disappeared from this pole outside the Hudson's Bay Centre. I walked up and down the sidewalk for several minutes, not accepting that this was really happening.

I was about to head home and have a good bawl -- I can't afford a new bike -- when I noticed a security camera on the RBC that would have captured the bike thief. So I approached a security guard standing outside the Centre and explained my situation. "Yeah, I cut some bikes in the last hour and a half," he said. "That's private property," he said, and told me that the building owner -- Brookfield Office Properties -- orders their security staff to remove bikes from the pole. Since when is the SIDEWALK private property? I told him he needed to give me my bike back right now or I'd call the police to report a bike theft. While waiting in the lobby for my bike, the security guard on duty there commiserated with me, saying, "Yeah, we get several angry cyclists in here a day."

And those are just the ones who figured out what really happened! I wonder how many people have just assumed their bike was stolen by some run-of-the-mill bike thief and gone home and cried like I was about to? I mean, who would guess that a company worth $18.7 billion steals bikes from low-income people? What does this $18.7 billion company do with all the bikes they steal -- do they actually sell them? Sickening.

- Lisa Ferguson

djfear

TRIBE Member
Should have reported the bike theft anyway. The cyclist now needs a new lock at the very least.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Is that sidewalk public property I wonder...
This is the key question, is it not?

I worked at Yonge/Church for 15 years. I know that pole very well. Wasn't it the city that paid for the 'beautification' of the sidewalks there?
Or maybe the sidewalk is public, but the pole itself is considered private?

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Actually, the same thing was happening here on the Plateau Montreal a few months back, only the culprits weren't some private business, but the actual city-council Borough of Plateau Mont-Royal. Actually, they went around and removed perfectly valid bikes (not just detritus-debris bikes), from *city property* signposts, claiming there's an actual bylaw against persons locking anything to *public property* (outside of designated bike posts).

(There is this bylaw, but obviously it's never ever enforced, unless the City is looking for a quick bike ticket cash grab, which they were, apparently).

Anyways, CBC Montreal got wind of this, and did a big story, which of course sparked outrage amongst bikers and other environmentally concerned residents, and when the City Counciller designate was interviewed, stating these *bylaw facts*, he and the city were quickly compared to crackhead bike thieves, and so they not-so apologized and stopped stealing resident's bikes.

Corrupt politicians. Creepy Crackheads. What the hell's the difference anyways? Fucking goons.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I bet what they're referring to as private property they're referring to the pole not the sidewalk. Either way, it's not their business, it's TTC's business.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
Someone just didn't like seeing the bikes "I want those eyesores out of here!"

Probably same people that complain if the wrong type of car ends up parking in front of their yard when a neighbour has a party.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I don't understand how this is legal, I keep seeing a citytv reporting trying to contact Sarah.

Hopefully, this will become a big story.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Using a few City plans I have access to for that area it appears the property line is about 6m off of the curb line. Which when eyeballing the pole from streetview looks like the pole could be just inside private property.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I'd also like to know what kind of tool they're using to cut the locks.

This Kryptonite locks pride themselves on being extremely hard to cut.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Using a few City plans I have access to for that area it appears the property line is about 6m off of the curb line. Which when eyeballing the pole from streetview looks like the pole could be just inside private property.

@kristynwongtam · 1h

According to Official Record of Highways, the #TTC sign and bikes are on the City's right of way. #bikeTO #BloorYonge

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I am not sure Brookfield would want to claim that area as private property. If somebody slip and fall there they now know who to sue.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Here's an unrelated thought that I have:

I don't like it when people lock up their bicycles in the distillery district, specifically in places that aren't designated bicycle lock rings. I feel it's very much a walking part of town and the locked up bicycles detract from the appeal of the area.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders