1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Are beavers on the rise?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, May 5, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Have you seen all the felled trees on the Don Valley bike trail and the Leslie St. spit? Some of them are like a foot in diameter (the trees, not the beavers). I have never seen so many gnawed trees out there before, and and many of them are really close to the bike paths and roads. Are beavers on the rise?

[​IMG]

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i would like to go in depth into this topic

3. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

moved to the girls stuff forum

4. alexd

Apparently they can chew through big trees in one night! (thanks wikipedia)

I was hoping to see one in the act of beavering, but they are primarily nocturnal and I don't ride on the DVP bike trail at night, so I guess I am not going to catch one In flagrante delicto

5. alexd

It must be scary to be a hobo living out there on the DVP trail, with all those beavers on the rampage

6. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

beavers and hobos: sharing, caring, living in harmony

7. Pottsie

Pottsie TRIBE Member

At our last cottage we had a bit of a beaver problem - there were some large poplars on either side of the cottage that were being chewed by the beav's and we had to wrap them in wire mesh at the bottom to prevent the beaver's from toppling them on the cottage. In short, I had to protect the wood from aggressive beavers with sharp teeth.

8. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

Serious wildlife-nerd answer.

Beaver populations as a whole are not increasing. However due to restoration efforts, new green spaces and creating linkages between natural heritage features, wildlife populations in cities have been increasing. This is to be expected - as habitat availability in a city increases, so does the carrying capacity of that area. Beavers have always had a healthy population at the Leslie St. Spit and along the Don River valley. The addition of corridors and the protection between these means those populations have much more mobility and you will begin to see establishment of lodges and damage where you may not have seen it before. Young beavers no longer have to travel far to find their own territory and are instead setting up shop near their birthplace.

Beaver populations are managed to keep them at a sustainable level and to keep the populations healthy. This is due to the decrease in natural predators. Up north this is by licenced trapping and hunting. In cities it is usually only nuisance beavers who are trapped (again by a licenced trapper) - this includes beavers causing flooding or significant property damage (water control structures, water and irrigation pipes, etc.). Beaver damage mitigation along the Don and Leslie St. Spit usually involves tree wrapping to minimize the amount of shoreline trees they can take. This is usually done by TRCA and volunteer groups (Friends of the Don, Friends of TTP).

9. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

i bet beavers have a good life, I think that would be something I could really sink my teeth into.

10. alexd

And this is why I love TRIBE! Even a beaver n00b's questions are answered promptly and in great detail! Yay!

11. alexd

Somebody should really begin trapping the hobos though, they seem to be on the rise as well.

12. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

LOL... they often compete with beavers for habitat.
    I have dealth with way more "nuisance" hobos than wildlife in parks.

Here's a good beaver fact sheet for you: Hinterland Who's Who - Beaver
    doooo de do do do dooooooo
    that's my interpretation of that opening HWW thingy

13. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

[​IMG]

Das wagen biber ist ein... nuisance biber!

14. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

If beavers are on the rise, is there a chance that at some point they might plunge right back down, perhaps all the way to the bottom?

15. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i thought this thread would point me in the direction of more beaver. boy, was i let down.

16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I was hoping this was about girls growing their snatchgrass long as part of some kind of trend. Either that or something about swollen mons venii.

But, it was about large rodents. Which are also cool. Kudos to sk8 for the awesome answer!

One of my favourite books when I was a kid was about these two beavers who are found in an urban park river, making a damn that causes issues for the nearby residents, so the beavers are caught and airlifted by helicopter to a safer, remote location. Along the way there were plenty of cutaway shots of beaver dens and diagrams of the length of their teeth and how fast they grow... I remember the art being really cool, too. I'm going to have to look that one up.

17. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Are shaved beavers on the rise?

*fixed*

18. alexd

I bet they throw massive nocturnal beaver parties in their lodges!

19. octo

octo TRIBE Member

will beaver hat's make a come back?

[​IMG]

20. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

Back when I was working in forestry we found it increasingly difficult to find someone to trap nuisance beavers. We were using traps to relocate them, but they would always find their way back to where they were causing the issue. (They actually tagged one and trapped it again in the same spot.)

There isn't a huge market for their pelts anymore. so I don't think that many new people are taking up trapping as a profession.

21. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

22. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

I think someone ran over his dick

23. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

24. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

beavers usually give me a rise.

25. alexd