1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Arcade Fire on Olympic Island

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by sianspherica, Aug 16, 2010.

1. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

show was absolutely fucking incredible.

probably one of the 5 best outdoor show sets I've ever witnessed (I've been to a lot of festivals/outdoor shows)

the band is definitely at their absolute peak right now. playing 2 sold out nights at Madison Square Garden + Lollapalooza + this show is pretty amazing for them. Most of the band members had family in attendance for this one (they were all milling around the VIP).

Incredible performance, definitely better than the 2 previous times I had seem them (Coachella and Massey Hall, both in 2007).

all The Suburbs tunes sounded really amazing and really a lot better than on the record, all the funeral stuff is sooo fine tuned after 6-7 years of touring them. loved the show, I really loved having VIP for the show (thank you Collective Concerts!)

much thanks to 2Blu from Tribe for getting us over to the island without having to wait in lines/crowds.

The entire concert was much better run and organized than the BSS/Pavement island show. Collective definitely learned from their mistakes and the beer/food stuff was setup better and worked much faster.

The entire set was pretty amazing all around, they played everything I wanted to hear and I loved having two of my favorite people with me to sing along with.

Ready to Start
    Month of May
    Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
    No Cars Go
    Modern Man
    The Suburbs
    The Suburbs (Continued)
    Crown of Love
    Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
    Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
    We Used to Wait
    Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
    Rebellion (Lies)

Keep the Car Running
    Wake Up Play Video

highlights were: Haiti, Rococo, Tunnels, Power Out/Rebellion and Wake Up. But there was nothing bad all night, even Intervention which is my least favorite song of the set....sounded pretty amazing.
  2. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

I heard from friends that attended as expected it was amazing, I really really want to check these guys out!
  3. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

don't forget about osheaga in montreal a few weeks ago! definitely one of the best bands on the planet right now. i'm glad the island concert was better organized this time.
  4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

From someone who normally doesn't 'do' live rock concerts, I was quite moved by their set. "Ready to Start" was the natural way to begin their set - and now I'll never forget that song. 'No cars go' was a good pick from Neon Bible. Smartly, they didn't play much else from that album (which was great, but it doesn't have the live energy that the other two albums have). The Suburbs is their best album yet. I won't comment on the actual running of the event, other than to say it was organized well imo.

The openers: the sadies made me wish i had a handlebar moustache and more comical t-shirts, and Janelle made me wish that james brown was still with us. get funkahhh!!!
  5. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Had a great time. Arcade Fire was on fire.....although I did prefer their show at the Danforth Music Hall a while back. It was a total love it.

They are saving rock and roll....with conviction and catharsis.

My beef is our policed province. Like you want me to join what line for beer. Oh wait...I gotta get tickets first.....oh ok now I stand here for beer? Thanks...oh wait I'm only allowed a two drink limit? So I gotta go back in line and drink these beers so I can get the other two?

FML. This is where Ontario sucks.

I didn't join the ferry line to come back. It looked like they had four days worth of people waiting for boats.

We ended up at a bar that was playing the blues....and took another boat back.
  6. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

that's why i didn't go. it's really quite fucking pathetic and ruins the entire concert experience, at least for me.
  7. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

now I'm even more upset that I missed this...sounds like it was a fabulous show.
  8. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

Joy of music not enough for ya?
  9. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

obviously not. did you even read my post? gah. :rolleyes:
  10. sianspherica

the beer situation was actually really really improved from the previous island show

from what I could see...

1. they had more staff working the beer tickets and more staff serving beer.

2. they actually had vendors walking up and down the ticket line selling tickets to people! it was a great idea. They have packs with them with all the tickets, it was exact change only, but it still seemed to be pretty effective, that's how I bought my tickets initially. My first beers in the right side beer tent once the Sadies were done literally took less than 5 minutes to get. This is compared to the 80 minutes it took to get beer in the June show. The promoters took a lot of shit for the last island show, and despite Ontario's stupid fucking rules regarding beer vending, I thought they definitely tried to improve things. Also the Wellington Ale tasted better and colder than the Keiths they had last time

3. the food lines seemed to go much faster to, and the positioning of the food area was wider and worked better.

4. the actual beer gardens were significantly bigger than the previous island show

5. you were allowed to bring blankets into the venue this time, and bring blankets into the beer gardens.

6. security allowed people to bring their bottled water into the beer gardens this time.

Collective Concerts did a good job with this one, I have no complaints at all.

I think you are out of your mind crazy for missing this if you were/are an Arcade Fire fan, I'm not normally the type to say "you missed out" but holymotherfuck, you missed out! Seeing them in a beautiful park in our city, on the island, on a nice summer day, with 10,000 fans all singing along....their set was something truly wonderful to witness. The sound was fantastic (just as it was at the last island show) and their setlist was pretty much perfect. I've gone to plenty of festivals and outdoor shows and their set was great. Right up there with the 2 best sets I've seen on the island (Pavement in June, and Bjork in Sept 2007).
  11. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

believe me, i'm glad that things were much improved this time around, but seeing them at osheaga a few weeks ago in their hometown was an experience i will never forget. there's no way that the island show could live up to the standards set by that night, so i decided to pass on this one.
  12. --[Zirca]--

--[Zirca]-- TRIBE Promoter

I wish I hadn't read that review. I couldn't make it last minute. Glad to hear it was good though.
  13. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

watch out now! *lol* here he comes, the big swingin dick. do you do anything else other then run your mouth or chirp people?

p.s if you troll, brownie points for at least trying to be mildly entertaining...
  14. Craigee

Craigee TRIBE Member

15. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I don't know, man. I know a few people who caught the Osheaga set and said the Olympic Island one was as good if not better. I caught them a couple times in Montreal myself, and while they are always good, the Olympic Island show was something special. After sitting in the centre of the second row for the first Danforth Music Hall show this summer, I can't imagine anything topping that in terms of visceral Arcade Fire experience, but there was a certain grandness at work on Saturday night atop that beautiful stage with perfect sound and a band on top of their game playing songs from the biggest album in the world. It was certainly something to behold.
  16. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

spinster, i'm referring to the standards set by me personally. the weather was perfect, 30,000 strong in attendance, the sound was super tight, the band was on top of their game and owen pallett performed with them for the entire set, i had a gorgeous lady by my side, there were fireworks going off in the background, cold beer in hand, pre-rolled spliff ready to go... it was one of those nights where everything just came together perfectly. i'm glad you enjoyed the show and i hope you don't mind that i call you spinster. :p
  17. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Sounds like magic, homie. Can't beat a night like that.
  18. sianspherica

I didn't know Nesta caught their Osheaga set,

I no longer think yr crazy for passing on Olympic Island than.

All is well.
  19. 2blu_

2blu_ TRIBE Member

sian, ya.. bring out ur girlfriends friend more