• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Aquarium help needed

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Okay have a bad case of carpet algae in an aquatic tank. the plants are doing alright but I have very thick green algae. Problem is it has all natural plants so I really don't want be pouring herbicide into it or anything.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
what colour is the algae?

what's your daily light period?

how many watts of lights do you have?

have you been adding fertilizer?

how long has the tank been running for?

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry

get a night job at PJ's :D

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Does it look like green slime?

If so than it is probably Blue / green algae, which is a bacteria. THings that help this are increasing water flow and use of an antibiotiic. I'm sorry but I can't remember which one works well for this.

Is the algae completely covering the whole bottom or only in "dead" spots, areas with poor water circulation?

No algae destroyer and the others aren't the way to go. because as soon as the chemicals leave the water the algae comes back

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member

Green very very green, like crayola makes this colour of green.

9am - 8pm full light
8pm - 11pm - Blue Led casting a hue

Really not sure asking on behalf of roommate when he gets back.

No however the base did have pete moss a little coral and soil. have about 2 inches of sand on top of that. For the most part its running natural with a ph of 7.8

What level of expertise do you have?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
ditto, did you properly cycle the tank when you got it?

do you have a testing kit??
your nitrates/phosphates might be all out of wack, it would be a good idea to check the numbers

in the meantime, do a major water change (ie, 50%) and turn off the lights for a few days.
go out and get some algae eating shrimp (a lot of them.. at least 10 or 20) and some oto's.

some Siamese algae eaters would be a good idea, but there are bad versions of these guys out there.. so you have to make sure the store that sells them to you isn't lying.. ie, you don't want flying foxes, or chinese algae eaters, which they will suggest as suitable replacements.

the water change and lights being turned off is the best thing you can do for now..
you can also manually remove some of the algae by scraping it off the side of the tank and syphoning it out.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
what level of expertise do i have??

i went from a completely COVERED 65 gallon tank to this, through lots of hard work and time..

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
the really bright green algae is the good kind.. shrimps, otos and sae's will take care of that real quick.

you could also turn the lighting period down just a touch.. to maybe 10 hours a day for a little while.

some people add fast growing plants to suck up the extra nutrients too.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
the really bright green algae is the good kind.. shrimps, otos and sae's will take care of that real quick.
unless it's the slimy kind, then they won't touch it :( I know from experience.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
oh, i only ever had that stuff on my 20 gallon and it was right before i got my big tank, so i just let it dry up and sold the tank to someone in my garage sale :)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member

you could also turn the lighting period down just a touch.. to maybe 10 hours a day for a little while.

some people add fast growing plants to suck up the extra nutrients too.
what kind of shrimp ghost shrimp do nothing

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
nioce

yeah, i'm pretty much algae free right now.

basically i did everything i just mentioned up there..
turned off the lights for a few days to starve the algae, and threw in a bunch of algae eating critters at the same time.
I didn't feed anything in the tank for the time also since that causes nitrate.
I had to do roughly 50% water changes a week for a little while too..

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
what kind of shrimp ghost shrimp do nothing
they are usually just referred to as algae eating shrimp.
or amano shrimps.. they have a more technical name cardonicas something or other, but most stores with the the Algae eating shrimp title.
big al's has them..
there's a store on kennedy north of lawrence, or there's one at yonge and steeles..
here's the location list.
http://aquariumservices.com/store.html

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
that's a slick setup

is that sunlight penetrating the tank during the day?

i'll bet it's the cause
No curtains are down now a days. We're only openning the outer set right now.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
they have a more technical name cardonicas something or other, but most stores with the the Algae eating shrimp title.
caridina japonica

See if it comes off in sheets / feels slimy between your fingers / stinks, if it is, it's probably blue-green algae (cyanobacteria, not actually an algae, and don't let blue-green confuse you either, it can be many colors). It is a pain in the ass and I have a recurring problem with it in my planted tank.

A round of erythromycin will knock it out but I've found that even that hasn't permanently done the trick in my tank.
No fish/shrimp will eat BGA, it's toxic.
It may be a sign of poor water quality, but not always. Have you done tests?
It's easy to remove just by pulling it off or using a gravel vac, but it will come back if you deal with it this way.
Increasing circulation may help, I've been meaning to buy a powerhead to try this in my own tank for a while now.

Back to studying, ugh

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stargurl*
caridina japonica

See if it comes off in sheets / feels slimy between your fingers / stinks, if it is, it's probably blue-green algae (cyanobacteria, not actually an algae, and don't let blue-green confuse you either, it can be many colors). It is a pain in the ass and I have a recurring problem with it in my planted tank.

A round of erythromycin will knock it out but I've found that even that hasn't permanently done the trick in my tank.
No fish/shrimp will eat BGA, it's toxic.
It may be a sign of poor water quality, but not always. Have you done tests?
It's easy to remove just by pulling it off or using a gravel vac, but it will come back if you deal with it this way.
Increasing circulation may help, I've been meaning to buy a powerhead to try this in my own tank for a while now.

Back to studying, ugh
the big glass structure is actually a water fall so I'm pretty sure that the circulation is fine.

Yeah your not kiding about it will just come back!! Took like two days after sucking it out. But I have to be a little careful with the vac.

Water quality isn't to bad (whole battery of tests and a diary has been kept) However my roommate really is the expert. Fuck he really shoul have an account here himself.

thanks for the advice everyone.