• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Aquafina Admits It's Just Tap Water

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
We're paying 2,000 times more for bottled versions of the same water you'd take a bath in.

File to: “Obviously. What kind of idiot do you take me for?” The world’s biggest bottled water brand is going to start admitting that it comes from the exact same source as the tap water disdained by snobs.

USA Today reports Aquafina has changed its labels to specify P.W.S. — Public Water Source — under pressure from Accountability International. PepsiCo spokeswoman Michelle Naughtron called this a “reasonable thing to do” if it helped people understand that they were paying a premium to have the same water they get in their bathroom sink labeled with a serene mountain scene.

And it’s quite a premium. ConvergEx Group Chief Market Strategist Nick Colas explained consumers were flushing thousands on their favorite label of H2O in an interview with Business Insider:

“The [bottled water] industry grossed a total of $11.8 billion on those 9.7 billion gallons in 2012, making bottled water about $1.22/gallon nationwide and 300x the cost of a gallon of tap water,” Colas says. “If we take into account the fact that almost 2/3 of all bottled water sales are single 16.9oz (500 mL) bottles, though, this cost is much, much higher: about $7.50 per gallon, according to the American Water Works Association. That’s almost 2,000x the cost of a gallon of tap water and twice the cost of a gallon of regular gasoline.”

Two thousand times what we spend on tap water! You have to hand it to their marketing department, and not just Aquafina. Fiji even managed to get a brand of bottled water under military dictatorship and shipped across the world showing up with Al Gore.

Throwing away money is one thing; throwing away all that plastic is entirely another. It’s almost a joke that we have a plastic mass double the size of Texas floating around the Pacific, or that almost every single seabird on the planet will have plastic in its digestive system by 2050....

https://www.inverse.com/article/5819-aquafina-admits-it-s-just-tap-water

praktik

TRIBE Member
Penn and Teller cracked this case a long time ago:

This was the funniest bit from that episode :)

praktik

TRIBE Member
Anyway a lot of people distrust municipal water supplies. And they shouldn't, the fact Aquarius is bottled tap water (like so many others, some of which state "municipal water supply" on the label!) says nothing about the quality of the product, which is excellent - tap water is great - and says a lot more about the public at large being paranoid and willing to spend money on stupid shit

praktik

TRIBE Member
Any word if Aquafina was really behind the recent uptake of the water fluoridation conspiracy theory in the yuppie/hippie sets?

Good way to move bottled water - cui bono?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
They do something with it because it tastes better than tap water. I'm guessing that they add minerals or something like that. I don't buy bottled water for home, but if I'm out, and there isn't a cheaper option available, Aquafina is okay.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Sourced from tap water doesn't mean it's the same as tap water. Like others have mentioned, it uses reverse osmosis.

acheron

TRIBE Member
bottled water only makes sense in places where clean water is unavailable. like after a natural disaster or the failure of the local water system.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
They're good for when you're in public. There's fewer and fewer fountains available, and I've seen too many dogs drink out of them.

diablo

TRIBE Member
Hasn't this been public knowledge for years?

Dasani and Aquafina = tap water run through a Brita, figuratively speaking.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Haven't lived in Niagara for years, but I recall St. Catharines and Welland tap water tasting a bit like pool water.

FTR: Toronto tap water is amazing.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Waterloo region is the largest municipality in the world whose water is served by a natural aquifer.

ie our tap water is all natural spring mineral water.

-jM
A&D

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Let's not forget about Nestle. They've been sucking up water in California for decades illegally with no permits.
Now, Nestle Canada wants to do the same in Elora, Ontario. Residents are pissed, and they should be.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders