• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

apprenticeships

Rosey

TRIBE Member
has anybody here completed or participated in an apprenticeship program?

i'm thinking of a career change and i'm wondering if there are any good/bad/ugly stories that i should know about before i think about jumping ship?

also, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

-ross
 

nusty

TRIBE Member
Go into Pyrotecknics! A buddy of mine took a course on it that lasted a few weeks and now he's working for some chick and he's easily capable of making close to 70$ an hour as her apprentice. And you only have to work half the year if you want.
Plus fire is always cool and large amounts of it are even cooler!
 

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
It's a good way to go, if you can find something you like to get into.
It's nice to get paid while your learning your job, not after.

I started mine right out of high-school. Although the 3 years of night school were tough to get through, it was worth it in the end.

tony


<--- Completed his Mouldmaker appreticeship (tool & die)
 

Rosey

TRIBE Member
i'm interested in becoming an electrician.
but what does a starting apprentice earn?

nusty, not that i'm really thinking of pyrotechnics as a career, but where did he take the course. just curious.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey
i'm interested in becoming an electrician.
but what does a starting apprentice earn?

as far as i know, apx. 50% of what a journeyman makes.

So (depending on where you work) that's probably $2_ an hour. Meaning you would start out at in the $12-13 /hour range.

then, for every 1000 hours you work towards your apprenticeship (apx. 6 months), you get a 5% raise, untill you have all of your hours in.
 

Rosey

TRIBE Member
is it possible to start an apprenticeship and then take time off (like a few months to travel) then come back to it? would that be really bad?

<--- trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life :(
 

PinkAngeL

TRIBE Member
You should seriously think about becoming a tool and die maker!
good money during the apprenticeship and LARGE money once you are done.
This country is short tens of thousands of them!!!!
 

orange richie

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PinkAngeL
You should seriously think about becoming a tool and die maker!
good money during the apprenticeship and LARGE money once you are done.
This country is short tens of thousands of them!!!!
Very true, I completed 3 years in a Tool and Die apprenticeship. It is good money and there is a lot of overtime because there is a huge shortage of people in the trade. Very interesting and challenging career but I had to quit cuz 60+ hour weeks just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I wasn't prepared to dedicate that much of my life on a job that wasn't bringing me an equal amount of satisfaction. Money isn't everything but if I ever need to go back I'm still a third year apprentice and could get a job anywhere. That's one great thing about this trade: YOU WILL NEVER LOOK FOR WORK!

Rickardo Belmiro de la Cruz...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
I will just say that I had a very bad expereince with my Auto Mechanic Appreanticeship
I was treated like shit everywhere I went!
Ended up going back to school

Richard
 

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by orange richie


Very true, I completed 3 years in a Tool and Die apprenticeship. It is good money and there is a lot of overtime because there is a huge shortage of people in the trade. Very interesting and challenging career but I had to quit cuz 60+ hour weeks just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I wasn't prepared to dedicate that much of my life on a job that wasn't bringing me an equal amount of satisfaction. Money isn't everything but if I ever need to go back I'm still a third year apprentice and could get a job anywhere. That's one great thing about this trade: YOU WILL NEVER LOOK FOR WORK!

wow, i didn't realize we had so much in commen when I first met you....um... kinda
(I spun immediatly after you at that UN1TY that Ian/Derek threw)

Anyways, I feel the same way about the whole situation. $$$ isn't everything. And the more you make, the more you spend.

You just get in a bad cycle.
I look forward to leaving my job one day soon (I hope)
Since I always know I'll have that little piece of paper that says I'm special,...I mean a mouldmaker. :)

I'll get into a little more of what the job entails later, when I have more time.

My least favorite part of my job: the fact that I start work in 5 and a half hours. :(

That isn't good when your a night owl/insomniac.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

squirrel

TRIBE Member
an apprenticeship is a good idea.while everyone else is paying thousands of dollars for their education and coming out of school in debt, an apprentice will get paid to learn and in the long run will probably make very good money because there is a shortage of workers in almost every trade. as far as being treated like shit is concerned, anywhere you first start out you will be at the bottom, while doing an apprenticeship or not.
 
Top