1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Apple's New iPhone unvieled

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, Jun 7, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

It pretty much looks like the one lost in the bar that Gizmodo took apart. Supposedly it is faster, has longer battery life, and has a camera in the front. It adds another axis to the motion sensor so now you will be able to get better GPS readings as you plummet off a cliff, for example.

More importantly, it is way better than the iphone you bought last month and will cost exactly the same.

2. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Larger battery and using A4 chipset will increase battery life by up to 40%. Also comes with 5mp zoom camera with led flash and the ability to capture and process HD video using new iMovie app.

3. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

looks pretty good actually... Looks like it'll be in Canada in Sept. I needed a new phone months ago.

4. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

iOS4 coming June 21st though!

5. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Sweet christ, it's the fifth post in this thread an no one has dismissively typed "BUAHAHAHAHA" yet

6. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

would people seriously upgrade to this from a 3GS or 3G? From that standpoint I see nothing of value here. My 3G battery life is fine, GPS works great, and it's not that slow at all... front camera whatever

[​IMG]

7. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

industrial design is nice,

but im finding the ' we may not have done it first, but we did it right ' to be sad really.

but people are eating it up, and i will give them this, they know how to sell to the masses, that is without a doubt their single most greatest achievement.

overall, i found it to be lackluster, especially considering if you watched the iOS 4 address from a couple of months back, not much is new.

the one thing i have to say, is i am slightly jealous of the slightly larger display resolution, but aside from that, meah.

did any of you cry during the facetime commercial?

:p

[jai]

8. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I think I will push to have my wife take my 3G then replace it with this.

9. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Looks good to me. I'm going to pick one up.

10. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I want it sooner than Sept!

I heard Canada will be in July.

11. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i have a 3g and its as slow as balls. i held off on going 3gs last year because i knew that this year something that was a big jump would be out.

im pumped about this phone. it looks nice, visually, and the screen looks amazing. a sub 1cm thick iphone with 4 times the pixel count? you had me at hello

12. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

This!!

Also want to mention that my 3G is slooooooow as balls.

13. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

its funny you know..running os2 my phone was great. then the beta of os3 came out. the first one was buggy as shit..slow as molasses. then by about the 4th beta of 3 it was *amazing*. it was super, SUPER fast.

it was so good that when 3 officially launched i didnt even bother getting the official one..just kept on using the beta. then one day the beta expired and i woke up to find my phone bricked. i DLed the official version, installed it on my phone and found, to my horror, that it was BRUTALLY slow.

no version of 3 has ever been as fast for me as that beta. i have restored numerous times, run the phone with only the included apps, deleted texts, pics everything. you name it, i have tried it..

long story short, i can't wait for something with some guts to come along. i have $690 fido dollars just BURNING a hole in my pocket

14. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I've got the 3G version of the phone and held off on the 3GS because I knew something was coming out this year. I think I'll upgrade to this version assuming Rogers let's you do it even if you still have 1 year left on the contract.

The faster processor and multi-tasking along with the video chat are doing it for me.

Lobo

15. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

16. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

Jai, I know you really love your android phone, but man, it's pretty clear that all of the top mobile developers/game studios/even microsoft are working on iPhone apps/services.

Hardware wise, it's easy to yawn at some of the stuff Apple was lagging behind with, but the apps and how they use the API's, leave just about every other smartphone in the dust.

17. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

I derno about the iPwn, but that new article reader thing in Safari 5 is so freaking cool

18. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

The screen is shit hot, but how many of you are really going to use video calling after the two-minute novelty wears off?

19. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

9 times out of 10 id rather not see who im talking to. i couldn't give a shit about video calling personally.

20. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

If a friend has an iPhone, I'll use it to video call.

And especially if they live in another city.

21. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Lets see iphone has been around for how long now? 5 years ?

and they just released the 4th version of the locked down OS, that is ONLY now doing stuff to keep up with what others have been offering for a couple of years. but they seem to have convinced you that they did it ' right '.

the hardware they are running and putting out only updates once and year, and they are FORCING 3g users to upgrade rather than provide a working solution.

and its still locked down, and MOST of the developers Apple have are gaming developers, which i could care less about.

as well, they still have have it locked down so you dont have a swappable Battery or Memory.

i charge my Nexus One on Monday, and then once again on Friday.
    your beloved Iphone cant do that, as it cant have extra batteries.

oh and if by chance you get a shit battery, or you kill it early in the life of your phone, you have to send yours away. i dont.

i know there are things not perfect about my phone, or the platform its using, but its growth in 19 months, basically a 1/3 of the time the iphone has been around, has been VERY impressive, especially considering Apple has such a lock down on its portion of the mobile market.

regardless, as i said above, Apple has its client base, they just need to tell you that you need a new one, and lookit what happens, people go crazy.

so im really not concerned, and found the WWDC keynote address, to be underwhelming.

Apples douchbaggery also knows no bounds it seems. It is audacious to claim ' we may not have done it first, but we did it right. '

to quote Chris Rock ' ... always want credit for some shit they supposed to do...'

i kinda view apple as people that want credit for something they should have done in the first place.

so keep on eating up steve jobs shit and telling him it tastes delicious, hell email him about it, maybe he will even respond to you.

[jai]

22. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

oh boy, you done did it now and have unleashed theandroid beast on to this thread! :p

23. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

Let's for a minute forget being a power user, and picture yourself as the average consumer. I work in the industry, I know what the average consumer is capable of. In fact, the majority of the cell phone using population is unable to operate a smartphone.

Now lets put an iPhone and an Android phone in their hands, yeah they will be able to make calls, yeah they might even figure out how to send an e-mail, but one phone causes far more frustration. Guess which one it is? The interface is shit on Android man. You can't even pinch and zoom out of the box, something it 'should do'.

But hey, the iPhone will now do everything it's 'supposed to do' and and it does it in a much smoother, and yes, 'audaciously' better than any other device on the market.

Now lets for a minute go back to your point about forcing an upgrade. Let's not forget the situation early Android adopters in Canada and the US found themselves in when their G1's, Dream's and Magic's where left out of future upgrades due to hardware limitations, how is that any different?

Sure the battery cannot be replaced by the user, but lets say you go for a swim with your N1 in your pocket. You now have to purchase a replacement at full retail price. Apple will replace your iPhone for $229+ tax, regardless of the model. Could even be the 32GB 3GS, and they'll swap you out in store REGARDLESS of warranty status. So sure, if the battery goes, I need to take it into any of the Apple stores, authorized apple repair centers, or any of the independent guys that will replace the battery in under an hour. Or if I need a quick external battery boost, I have to use an external battery case or any of the dozens of products out there for that purpose, but at least I won't have a complete heart attack if I run over my phone, or get it wet. So far, I've spilled numerous liquids on my iPhone and I'm absolutely shocked that it still works. That says a lot about the build quality, and this next 300hour standby battery, is going to be even better.

They cut corners on the N1 in areas that really matter to the end experience. The screen for example. The lowly old iPhone LCD beat the N1's OLED when it really shouldn't have: Link

I also use a Palm Pre and the worst thing about the device is that it never selects what I tap. The accuracy is brutal, especially for gaming, text selection, or web browsing. Touch screen accuracy is one of the most important things a touch screen phone can have. So why did HTC/Google/Motorola cut corners on this with their entire lineup of android phones? Why is the touch screen accuracy so shit on the Nexus One compared to the iPhone? Source

Now, let's look at what it means to be a power user. If you are a power user, jailbreaking should come easy to you. The latest jailbreak only has a couple of steps and is done in under a minute. Jailbreaking opens the world to a much larger pool of applications and tools than anything android. The first sabnzbd tool for Android just came out in may, iPhone's had one for years. A uTorrent UI came out for Android last year, but has been on iPhone since November 2007, only 6 months after the original iPhone 2G was released. (I don't know where you got your 5 year figure?)

An open OS might make the geek in anybody flush with happiness, but typically, and as is the case with Android, it doesn't make it a viable option for the mass market, just the geeks. The mass market device has exponential growth in development, hacks, tools compared to the geekier devices, which all of a sudden makes the mass market phone more appealing to power users.

There's only 1 phone you can thank for Android being where it is today, the Droid. Not the N1. Thanks to Verizon's network not being able to support the iPhone, the Droid has been able to see moderate success. Realistically though, the moment Verizon gets the iPhone (if they ever do), Android will have a much harder time competing, especially now that RIM is trying everything they can to make sure neither Apple nor Google eat their lunch.

24. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

What if, you had a gf and she lived far away and you had to be apart from her for a long period of time. Besides pr0n, wouldn't you might wanna get some kinky cybersex on once in a while?

Just sayin...

25. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

And I just swapped mine for a brand new one after I dropped it. So in a month I will sell my near new phone and graba a 4G. In all honest I am super happy with my 3GS but I would really like the 5 MP Vid with Flash. Great for filming in clubs!