1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Apple Updates MacBook Pro Line

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rawd, Apr 13, 2010.

1. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

They're out

Apple - MacBook Pro - Performance - Even faster processors and graphics.

As expected the Core chips have extended battery life even longer, up to 9 hours on the 15", 10 hours on the 13" is ridiculous. Also liking the 1680-by-1050 high res matte option now too. Hot

Is anyone running Parallels, I need to install W7 Ultimate for work purposes. Wondering if I should be installing the 32 or 64 version in the VM

2. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i was running 7 pro via parallels 5 for a while..went back to XP a few weeks ago cause 7 is a pretty massive resource hog, comparatively speaking.

im going to wait a few weeks and see the benchmarks on the new laptops, but i think this will be the revision i upgrade my 2.2/2.4 15" MBP from 2007.

the base model with the high rez matte screen is calling me..

3. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

see i've read that if you vm the w7 32 bit version and throttle back on some resources, its not bad... which version did you install

the nerd in me wants to vm xp, vista 32 and 64, w7 32 and 64 and compare the performance with the dev tools i use... i gotta see the HD antiglare in store before I make my decision, dunno if i want 1680 x 1050 on 15" for everyday use

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  4. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

it appears that high res matte is the only option now. no more 1440x900 matte

yikes. thats going to make some people really happy and some people *really* mad

i was running 32bit 7 pro

5. slice

slice TRIBE Member

Yep, I took 7 off my machine as well and went back to XP. Runs much smoother.

6. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I want, but at the same time I need to run Final Fantasy XIV I dont want to do that on something VM'd. ooooohhhh *wrings hands*

7. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Then partition, install Win thru Bootcamp and run native. Access thru Parallels.

apparently Eaton Center has the new ones already to play with including the High Res models. Fairview has jack, boo

8. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

i have 64 bit Win 7 running through bootcamp, on my 13 macbook unibody not even the Pro version. :) havent tried to boot it through parrallels though :)

runs VERY clean.

[jai]

9. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

thats like saying the weather is nice in victoria, so it must be nice over in ottawa too

two totally different things, not even in the same ballpark

10. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

LOL i was being facetious.

i installed VMware, and installed the 32 bit version, but i didnt like the resolution defaults, when viewing Win 7 on my 13' through SL. and i found it ran decently, but nothing i would call clean.

regardless,
    buddy of mine asked me this, this afternoon.

hes going to Korea for work, so thats not an issue getting there.

thoughts?
    LG i5 520

[jai]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  11. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

the mini DP jack now outputs audio too. Cool

12. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

Finally - I've been waiting for them to go HDMI. This is a start, at least.

13. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

its about fucking time

14. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

I've been waiting for this.

Still kinda sucks that there is no Blu-Ray drive.

15. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

do you know what it would do to the cost of those machines to add a slot loading BD drive?

what would be your primary use of one? movies? backing up?

16. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

17. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

thats cheap as shit for a BD drive.

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

great fucking update apple. i love how you think "taking away" firewire support is part of an "upgraded" mac. dickheads.

19. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

20. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

fuck fw 800. fuck it with a stick covered in dogshit.

21. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

there's a port for that coming in the next update. straight up

22. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

for the dogshit, not your fw320090210

23. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i can't wait to see the 'safely remove hardware' button for the shit-stick. :)|

24. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

25. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

both!