• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Apple TV

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
What do you guys use your Apple TVs for? Do people actually rent movies/content from Apple? Is "jail breaking" it still a thing?
what else can you do with it beyond what's on Apple website?

I'd like to cancel my cable, so looking for ways to get as much programming as possible....

acheron

TRIBE Member
Here's what we've done:

Ditched Bell ExpressVu
Installed HD Antenna (gets about 20 channels or so all the local or buffalo stuff)
Subscribed to Netflix

I download the movies I can't find on Netflix. Same with TV series. Using a robust, high-bandwidth internet connection with a subscription to newsgroups (giganews) and sabnzdb+sickbeard scripts, new HD episodes of my favourite shows are downloaded directly to my computer overnight.

I use a media center pc called Boxee - they don't make the hardware anymore but the software still exists in various forms for people who want to repurpose a mac mini or something similar to use as a media box connected to your television and your home network. Essentially the new shows and movies are copied to the media box's hard drive and the boxee software indexes them, finds previews, trailers, episode synopsis, etc all packaged nicely in a menu system I can control via wifi with my iphone or ipad.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
you can't jailbreak the new Apple TVs (which are 3rd gens, or Apple TV 3). The Apple TV 2 can be jailbroken, but they go for $200-$300 on the used market, and are over priced at that cost.

You can get other streaming boxes, like WDTV or countless others that can do similar stuff.

I'd recommend a mac mini if you want to run a media centre on your tv and stay with in the apple ecosystem. A full computer will give you much more options. a PC media centre will be much cheaper, but you have to run windows (eww), But if you don't mind the OS it will be an undoubtably cheaper option.

Spacepilot

TRIBE Member
A cheap Intel NUC running XMBC would be a good choice. Powerful and cheap. Can install Windows or use a linux flavour.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
here's what you want.

Apple TV
a TV capable of doing DLNA
Netflix acct
OTA-HD antenna
Unblock US acct
apple devices with airplay.
-

This enables me to wirelessly stream anything from any of my devices
I can use DLNA to play files off my hard drive connected to my router
I use a program called Servio when I want to use DLNA and still be able to use my laptop.
I can stream music anywhere in my house

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Karim

TRIBE Member
I subscribe to a VPN service called Private Internet Access. It costs $40 a year and it not only masks your ip to trick sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime into thinking you are in the USA, but it encrypts your web traffic too.

I purchased the ASUS AC-68U Wifi Router which allows you to program your VPN into it. It's an expensive but powerful router. Having the power allows the router to handle the VPN encryption while maintaining as close to max speeds as possible. Slower routers may bottleneck your data speeds.

With this setup, all of my web traffic is routed through the USA. As such, I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. I would subscribe to Hulu Plus but they recently started blocking VPN traffic so that's a no go.

I now have a Roku 3 on most of the TV's in the house that I stream my content through. The Roku 3 is awesome. Roku features Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify and Pandora. All of which kick serious ass.

Roku also has Plex. I converted an old laptop to be my download server of which I use to download Movies and TV shows not available through Netflix/Amazon. This server also hosts my plex media server which feeds the content to my Roku boxes.

On this download server/laptop, I use newzbin's for downloading. Newzbin's do have a cost of about $30 a quarter, but it is extremely worth it. Newzbin's allow you to download at full bandwidth without the need to seed. Plus with Newzbin, I've set up the greatest content feature ever. It's called Sickbeard. Sickbeard, when configured to work with a newzbin search site (I use NZB.su, pm me if anyone needs an invite), I simply list the shows that I watch, and it'll automatically download them as soon as they are available through the newzbin channels. This typically happens within 2-3 hours of broadcast. I even have it set up to send a notification to my phone whenever a download is complete and successful so I know what I have to watch later. Couch potato is a similar tool that can be set up to automatically download new movies as they are released.

$9 a month for Netflix, $80 a year for Amazon Prime USA, $40 a year for VPN, and $30 a quarter for Usenet Server access for Newzbin. Works out to a total monthly expenditure of around $27. Not free, but the quality and ease of content delivery makes this a painless alternative to Rogers/Bell with the added benefit of traffic encryption and easy access to movies as well.

Last edited:

The Peej

TRIBE Member
Roku > Apple TV

I sold Apple TV to everyone around me FERVENTLY after seeing how amazing and intuitive AirPlay was. Being able to have a multi-person YouTube battle with no need for authentication between WiFi enabled iOS devices and laptops is INCREDIBLE.

That said: the stand-alone Apple TV experience completely falls flat if you're using it as a set-top box without iOS and OSX. The remote is gorgeous, and fucking garbage to use. The interface (UI and UX) are archaic and clunky. SLOW and basically boring. WAAAAY too many nested and identical screens with loading pinwheels in between in both directions.

I played with my Father's Roku 3 for 20 seconds before I was convinced that it's a much better overall UX. I'm hugely jealous. At least with a proxy service and US iTunes account, there's a decent amount of content. But the interface is BAD.

Last edited:

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
If you're after content then get a double or quad core mygica android box with xbmchub hacked on to it. No more downloading movies or shows. It's ridiculous. Quality of streams is sick.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
If you're after content then get a double or quad core mygica android box with xbmchub hacked on to it. No more downloading movies or shows. It's ridiculous. Quality of streams is sick.
This is now done! it is ridiculous!
next is getting an OTA antenna and then cutting off Rogers.

its looking like this now:

Mygica box - check
Netflix - check
Unblock US - check
OTA - next!!
Cancel Rogers - The cherry on top!!!

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
is 50 down/ 10 up enough bandwidth to do all this ?
really want to get rid of my Bell teevee as it's $114 a month. i'd rather invest now in new toys so in the long run i'll be saving all kinds of dough.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Can anyone recommend a OTA HD antenna?
It will most likely be indoors, unless having it outdoors is a game changer.
Im about 4 km from the CN Tower - if that means anything.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Can anyone recommend a OTA HD antenna?
It will most likely be indoors, unless having it outdoors is a game changer.
Im about 4 km from the CN Tower - if that means anything.
Do you have a clear straight line view of the Tower and the lake? Otherwise you're screwed.