1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Apple to announce Video iPod in just over an hour

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chubbs, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Info on it leaked a week or two ago, but then was wiped off the net just as quikly as it was put on.

It was claimed to be fake, but I'd put my money on seeing it busted out today.

And I must say that I for one, am extremly excited to see whatever it is they are announcing.

2. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I heard they were adding a vibrator to the ipods

It'd be called the iThrob

3. migzzzz

migzzzz TRIBE Member

LOL

4. djtk

djtk TRIBE Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  5. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

When someone confirms that it will play my sketchy camcorder-in-the-theatre avi collection, I'll be all over this.

6. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

they showed this really shitty looking mockup on CNN, that was supposed to be the new Ipod. I nearly puked and it looke dmore like a creative zen than an ipod. lol. They got it from an unconfirmed source on an unnamed blog.

JUST THE FACTS CNN, JUST THE FACTS.

7. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

there are way to many different kinds already. you will probably have to wear solar panels on your head to increase battery life on this sucker

8. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

9. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

point. click. order. done.

10. freshest1

freshest1 TRIBE Member

no way, apple is cutting edge, they have opted for a backpack solar panel to increase battery life. [​IMG]

11. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

and now begins their entrance into the HomeTheatre / PVR / OnDemandVideo market........

12. Sinister Shadow

Sinister Shadow TRIBE Member

Pretty slick. More features, bigger color screen, bigger capacities, smaller dimensions overall, new look and feel...

They've made my 10 month old Ipod complete obsolete. The bastards.

13. Galactic Phantom

Galactic Phantom TRIBE Member

I want one but the 1st gen rules apply. FUCK!!

14. culture

culture TRIBE Member

^^ exactly.

ill let someone else spend $600 to be the guinea pig.

15. culture

culture TRIBE Member

hmm. $499 for a 60gb video? just yesterday it was $519 for the 60gb photo..

16. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

I just hope the basement falls out of used 40GB ones now so i can score one for my car. w00t.

17. Rataxès

Rataxès TRIBE Member

It's cool that they've lowered the prices while adding new features. I can't say that a handheld video thingy is something I'm screaming for, but I'm sure people who spend a lot of commuting time on public transport may find it to be great.

The main problem I see is finding content - re-ripping video is a processor intensive chore even on a high-end machine, and ripping h.264 video takes 6-8hours of big number crunching. Unfortunately, due to the size of files, difficulty ripping, and the technical know how needed to rip and prep files, I see this as being beyond the scope of the 'average' consumer.

With .torrent sites becoming scarcer, finding rips of your favourite shows to watch on the train/subway becomes too hard for somebody who is used to the Rip-mix-burn simplicity of iTunes (or any decent MP3 tool). I understand that Apple is looking to add video content to iTunes and maybe that will solve the problem, although I'm sure that Apple will find itself in an uphill battle with content producers.

18. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I can't wait until they boast about making a bigger screen.

19. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

You'll never win this race, that's what sucks.

I have the 20G and am extremely happy with it.

Now, I'm going to get the 60G but mostly for music, and the ODD video, and not for video.

I like that it's smaller and the battery (hopefully) is better.

20. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

the 10 hour battery life that lasts 3 at most

the 15 hour battery should last maybe 5, for the first few weeks anyways

21. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

catch me by the 3rd or 4th gen of these, when people have released firmware hacks to play div-x.

22. Luke Native

Luke Native TRIBE Member

23. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

It supports Mpeg4 natively which is.... divx.

24. Rataxès

Rataxès TRIBE Member

The design is nicer, and I'm wondering if they've used the larger screen to improve the interface in anyway?

Ironically, I've gone the opposite way with iPods. I started with a 2G 10GB, then a 3G 20GB, then a 4G 40GB. After my 40GB got too small for all my music I finally realized that I really didn't 'use' all that music while mobile anyway, instead I ended up listening to two or three playlists all the time which got replaced every couple of weeks while I wanted a physically smaller device to carry with me. Tried the Shuffle but found it too limiting, and now have a 4GB Nano that is perfect for my needs.

Ideally, I'd like a cell phone/PIM with a built in iPod Nano for music - the Moto RCKR was a good concept but it's crippled storage capacity and abhorent industrial design make it a no go.

25. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

Open standard APIs and Protocols

+

Universal (form factor) Memory Modules (UMMs)

=

Future of digital media.