• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

apple releases video ipod

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Anyone got specs or it it yet another iProduct that simply 'looks sick'.

I can't seem to find a link to it on the apple site.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Anyone know how it playback is governed? Does it just allow simple transfers of MPEG4 files to it or do you have to rip from commercial dvds?

Here's the specs for it's video files..

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

culture

TRIBE Member
im not sure exactly, but apple has inked a deal with disney and i believe abc to add music videos, short disney movies, and abc sitcoms for download off their site.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by culture
im not sure exactly, but apple has inked a deal with disney and i believe abc to add music videos, short disney movies, and abc sitcoms for download off their site.
Meh.. snore.

Resolver

TRIBE Member
You think that's sick, check out these 2 hot momma's:

The Commodore 64

The Commodore Amiga

Im drooling with anticipation......

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
my favorite thing is when people get all uppity about consumer products.

"yah guy, this consumer appliance is gay, everybody who uses it is an idiot gaylord moron gay person...my particular brand of consumer product is so less gay...yours makes me mad, I hate it...."

haha

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Any idea if it supports Divx, real and all the usual formats.

Or, are you going to have to change all your video over to quicktime?

BayStreetBoi

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sheik rock
Any idea if it supports Divx, real and all the usual formats.

Or, are you going to have to change all your video over to quicktime?
Formats supported are H.264 video, .mp4 and .mov formats.

Even if it did support the other typical formats, you'd likely have to convert them anyway. How many videos do you currently have that are set for display on a 320x240 pixel screen? They'd have to be scaled down.

beaker

TRIBE Member
what kind of stuff do you guys watch on these things? i can't really think of any time i would want to watch low-res super-compressed video except maybe on a plane.

i think i need to watch more television.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beaker
what kind of stuff do you guys watch on these things? i can't really think of any time i would want to watch low-res super-compressed video except maybe on a plane.
That or anyone with a long transit commute to work could sit and watch it. (and then get rolled for it when they get off)

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Apparently the battery life when playing video is 2-3 hours.

That almost makes the video function completely useless.

Unless you take it from home to work and have a separate adaptor there, or don't use it to listen to music. No plane rides with this ipod.

labRat

TRIBE Member
as mentioned in the other thread, this is Apples entry point into the home entertainment / pvr / video-on-demand market. with the mac mini being the next focal point.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by beaker
what kind of stuff do you guys watch on these things?
You could watch National Geographic docmentaries on Ants or other really really small animals.