1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

apartment and neighbourhood essentials

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by orchid, Jul 7, 2010.

1. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

i'm really struggling, so i thought i'd poll tribe. we're trying to find an apartment for august 1, but we're quite picky in terms of certain things we want the apartment to have. running out of time, and we're out of town fri-mon. i'm starting to get freaked.

we saw an amazing place tonight that fits all the criteria but one. i think we can live with the no outside space factor (no deck). the apartment is amazing.

what i'm struggling with is the neighbourhood - parkdale: i know lots of tribers live there. it just doesn't seem to have anything going on! i'm used to living right in the heart of bloor west village. everything's right there! we just can't find anything here though. :( i love this hood because it's so vibrant and happy. in parkdale, it's depressing and dead. living around danforth and greenwood in 2008 depressed the crap out me - how would parkdale be? i don't know how i'd deal without having high park right there. and all the markets and stores!

parkdalers, could you please share with me how your spirits handle living in this seemingly drab and uninspired hood, and tell me all about how awesome it is. thanks!

2. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Where in parkdale and what do you REALLY need close to home? Personally I'm happy with a nice park and a good corner/grocery store. No outdoor space is pretty tough, especially on days like today or if you like the occasional smoke.

I lived in Parkdale for 5 years and I liked it.

3. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

cowan, south of king. there's NOTHING there. ok, a shitty convenience store, a pizza joint, a coin laundry place. even up on queen there's not much. i'm used to my pick of 6 different fruit/veggie markets within a 5 min walk. and the no frills in p-dale is a bit on the scummy side.

inspiration. happy, smiling faces, families out, people walking dogs, going for jogs and bike rides, drinking in high park on a moment's notice. sigh. i guess i can live in happyland where there are no real problems, or live in 'real' toronto. lol

i'm just a bit of a homebody, and for me, my neighbourhood is really a huge part of that. i like to step out my door and be in something. know what i mean?

4. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Parkdale is amazing (yes, I live here ;)). You're 5 minutes from Sunnyside, it's an easy walk to Roncesvalles (fruit markets galore!), awesome patios on Queen (eg. the Caddy, the Rhino, Not My Dog) and a few neat quirky shops in the area as well. While the No Frills on King isn't the best, there's a Price Chopper, Metro, and a much bigger and better No Frills not far away and certainly within walking distance. Granted, you're looking at the south end, ie south of King, and things don't hop as much as they do closer to Queen. That might be good in a sense as it's a bit quieter at night. The area is full of amazing architecture, tons of trees, and fresh breezes from the lake which are REALLY helping right now. Boring, depressing and dead are definitely NOT words I would use to describe Parkdale. :)

5. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

km, where are the other grocery stores? i know where the price chopper is, but where is the metro? do you mean the no frills near lansdowne and dundas?

i'm glad to hear you like parkdale. (i always thought you lived in roncey!)

i don't mean to be negative about parkdale. i'm just particularly sensitive when it comes to my environment, and i just don't know how i would fare here. we have to make a decision quickly.

6. kirstenmeows

Metro is in Liberty Village (just east of Dufferin), and yes, the other No Frills is at Dundas and Lansdowne. There's also a huge Shoppers on Queen (which had Kashi cereal on sale for $1.99 a box - I hate cereal, but I know there are cereal lovers out there). Nothing beats spontaneous drinking sessions or a picnic for that matter down by the lake, especially around Humber Bay (another really easy walk). There are tons of small parks, community gardens (one just north of King on Cowan), a Farmer's Market every Monday on Sorauren, and you can get delivery of pretty much any ethnic food you want. I can't think of anything this neighbourhood is missing.

7. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

What type of place are you looking for? I'm moving out of mine September 1st...

nvm... I just read your latest post. I'm in a quiet neighborhood (Queen & River) but the place I live in is pretty dope.

8. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

this is just the positive energy i needed! thanks! actually, the apartment is quite close to the lake, and i haven't been able to rollerblade much since i moved from roncesvalles in 2008. of course, i also love biking on the trail. upside found. i'm also really pleased to see the metro so close by!

btw people, the rental market has been crazy! we are rejects from the housing market, and just couldn't find anything (except for one house that ended up having termites), so we decided to find a new apartment instead. i feel like we're still house hunting. landlords are essentially holding viewing nights where 10 couples show up, and then you have to hope you look the best. it used to be that if you were the 1st to show up to see a house, and you weren't a hobo, you would get the place. a couple weeks ago we were the 1st to show up, expressed major interest, and she still had a showing 2 nights later, accepted 20 applications, and gave it to people she said were more "suitable for her situation." despite telling us that we were at the top of the list because we saw it first and had been so communicative. and between us we have a very good income, so i just don't get it!

sorry for the RANT!!! :eek:

application submitted. fingers crossed to get it, cuz it's a sweet apartment!

9. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

no kidding. :p

10. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

cowan is a nice street

11. kirstenmeows

Good luck! :)

12. recoil

recoil TRIBE Member

what she said ^^^

I think maybe Parkdale used to be a lot worse. I went there in 1995 to King & and Jameson to go to this girl's place around 3 AM in the dead of winter, and when I got out of the cab, it looked like Night of the Living Bassheads.. pretty ghetto

but it seems to have improved quite a bit since then. In 2006 I lived on Sorauren a bit north of Queen... Rhino, Cadiallac Lounge in the summer to play pool and lounge on their massive back patio, other nice local bars on Queen near Sorauren - Mezzrow`s - also has a nice back patio, Mitzi's Sister - decent food and nice beers on tap and live music..

Mitzi's on Sorauren is a really nice cafe and eatery where you can go for good breakfast and coffee in the morning .. that would be - at most - a 10 minute stroll from King and Cowan

[​IMG]

then once you're there, you are right by Roncesvalles which obviously has all kinds of cool little bars and restaurants and cafes, as well as markets and lots of good Polish delis.

Cherry Bomb Cafe right near there on Roncy - owned by super chill people. |I used to go there every morning and sit outside, have a chai latte and people watch. really friendly neighbourhood

[​IMG]

oh and this place! - this used to be one of my haunts - Amico's. on Queen a bit west of Sorauren. really good Italian food and a nice friendly place to go for a pint and play pool upstairs or chill on the back patio

[​IMG]

so ya.. I havent lived there in 4 years but those spots are still there, plus a lot more. I personally loved living in Parkdale.. there's lots to do, imo. I didn't find it boring or depressing at all.. now when I lived at Bloor and Lansdowne in 2003, yes - that I did find extremely crime-ridden and depressing - but the area you are in has a lot of character and lots of interesting people :cool:

hope that helps!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Cowan is nicer than the two streets on either side of it...oh man - living so close to island foods! wicked!!

14. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Cowan is a beautiful street, I have a few friends who live on it and they really like it. I hear you on that part of King not having a lot to offer, but a block north on Queen should satisfy all your gentrifying needs.

Parkdale is a varied place, perhaps more so than any neighbourhood in the city, but I love it.

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

we were there yesterday and I pointed out (from what I remember) your street. We shopped in the Dolllarama and I bought a sick fuckin hindu CD for a dollar. I listened to it for the rest of the night.

16. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Guess I might as well put this in this thread...

I'm moving out of my place @ Queen E & River on August 29th. It's $1200 / month water + basic cable included, comes with washer & dryer, right on Queen St, approximately 900sq/f, HUGE place for 1 person, enough space for a couple. It's above a restaurant and therefore is very clean, and I painted the entire place sans kitchen Feb 2009.

DJ friendly (I can use the 2 sets of 250w speakers below at full capacity when the resto is closed).

pm me for more details including photos of the place (please don't ask after sept 1st unless posted in for sale/rent board).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Reason for moving: moving out to save money for a place to live.

17. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

It is a great hood just travel east over the bridge for things to do... I live at the same intersection as well...

18. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

I live at high park an Bloor. I've seen a lot of "for rent" signs on highpark avenue, and other streets close by, like Quebec ave. and parkside.

Have you done the drive around and look for signs thing?

I can't comment on Cowan Avenue, but I lived at King and Niagara for years and then I moved to Bloor west, and I found when I lived King west there was a lot going on, ie. stores and restaurants, but now I live across from high park (directly) so I don't mind not having outdoor space here. well there is a communal balcony here, I just don't go out there much cause I usually go to the park. And the local variety store a half a block away is also a fruit market and stocks some of the health food store snacks I like.

So I guess you need to know exactly what you need close to your place to be happy.

19. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

I don't live in Parkdale but wanted to throw in my two cents here. Im not sure if you were able to find your place as of yet but if not, pick an area of the city that you want to live and walk around the neighbourhood.

I currently live on Shaw St. (Which is AMAZING btw), at Harbord. If you're looking for a great place this neighbourhood is fantastic.

Aug 1 my gf and I are moving together and found a nice little place at Davenport and Ossington (still pretty close by) and found our place on Craigslist. It was the first place we looked at and has a backyard as well as little deck off of our room.

Best of luck I'm don't sweat you will find a fantastic apartment in no time.

20. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

thanks for all the great thoughts and ideas, guys! hopefully we get the apartment. :)

21. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

make sure its not on the bed bug registry.

22. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

good idea! well, there are several reports through parkdale, but none on cowan. parkdale does have the most reports in the west end areas we are considering though (bloor west, ronces, high park).

23. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

done. i already live in the neighbourhood i want to live and walk around in. sob. :(

i've honestly never been a queen west/parkdale kinda girl. oh well. at least the apartment is amazing, and i may come to love the hood like others do. we still don't have it though, and it doesn't help that we're going away from friday to monday. hopefully that doesn't turn him off. we'll likely have to be incommunicado as we'll be in the woods in quebec.

24. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

way ahead of ya! ;)

25. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Leave your phone with friends and you're set! Good luck!