• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Anyone Visited Dubai, UAE?

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Hey,

Has anyone been to Dubai? If so, what was it like?

I'm heading there on business next month.

It looks like a really fun place actually !!

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
http://www.chrisdiclerico.com/index.php?s=dubai

good blog - guy from new york just moved there a couple weeks ago for 6 - 12 months to work on a website for an airline. he talks about all the PITAs he's had with blocked web sites and getting dsl into his apartment and shiz. good stuff. start from the first entry in february and work forward.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I am thinking that within 5-7 years, my life will be in Dubai, at least 9 months of the year. Either dubai or san diego. So long horrible climate, hello warmth.

(In all seriousness, we are in the early stages of planning a possible move there, full or part-time, and thanks for posting that blog aas it is very helpful)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Okay...well well well....So you're going to Dubai. Leave your Parka and Boots at home, please. Thank you.

Go soon, because it's about to get hotter than hell over there. Dubai is a very interesting place; very amazing architecture and development. Are you white? If so, you will be treated bettter than you have ever been...you will be taken aback by how eager non-whites are to please you and meet your every expectation. This will also cause you to wonder what the fuck is going on!

I hope you like Shopping, because that's basically all there is to do there. There are no areas like Queen Street; everything is in a huge high-rise or a massive shopping mall, of which there are more than you could imagine. I STRONGLY SUGGEST you go to this one "mall" type district thing, that is supposed to be a recreation of a 14th century Arab market. That place IS AMAZING! Fucking totally blew me away. It's like a small city!

Okay wait, there are non-shopping thigns to do..there is this one big and beautiful park in the middle of the city, framed by beautiful sky scrapers...and the promenade on the coast is SO NICE! And there are other really neat landscaped public areas.

All the nightclubs are at the top of Hotels. And they are very expensive. There aren't very many girls. You will notice that the Muslim girls are covered up in very fancy black Hijabs...and underneath you will see TOTALLY SEXY shaved legs with $400 sandles...you will see them in stored buying slutty tight jeans and the sexiest lingerie you have ever seen in your life.

Take taxis, they are dirst cheap and basically the main municipal public transit system. You will also want to learn the Arabic word for "SLOW THE FUCK DOWN--ARE YOU INSANE?!?" Also, there are no addresses in Dubai...only land marks...you'll have to tell taxi drivers stuff like "I need to go to the Porsche Dealership that is Across from the so-and-so hotel". That's very Dubai

I LOVE middle eastern food and Indian food. There are fabulous totally authentic Indian places there--like where they won't give you a fork cuz you're supposed to eat with your hand (right hand). But if you're white, you get to have a fork. Almost everyboy speaks perfect english. Ask people where to eat..because all the propaganda brochures will direct you to expensive Western restaurants DO NOT GO THERE! You will eat like a king for a very small amount of money if you eat where the locals eat.

There are great, great places with amazing food. I loved the food while I was there. If you want a fancy, expensive meal, you will have no trouble finding one, but it won't be nearly as satisfying as what you will experience when you sit down at a Syrian restaurant and without saying anything, they will bring you a dozen small dishes of stuff that will fill you up right then....then it's time order your actual meal. It's amazing!

I'll talk to my parents when they wake up, and get them to tell me the name of our favorite Restaurant where I became buddies with one of the waiters. And they have these incredibly fancy juice cocktails the likes of which you have never seen in your life. CHEAP!

I'm now very hungry

Last edited:

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
never will i step on land that was built with blood money

dubai is the new las vegas, where dirty money and crime, created the city

Snuffalupagus

TRIBE Member
junglisthead said:

Better get yer arse out of North America then.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
newstyle666 said:
I think oil played a role in building the city.. just a hunch.
Not Dubai's directly. Only 6% of their GDP comes from oil. Although the major investor in a lot of their infrastructure is the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, the capital city's investment fund and the Emirate which is flooded with oil.

Part of Dubai's rationale for liberalistation is the lack of oil.

Dubai's money comes a lot from the Free Ports in Dubai and Jebel Ali.

I think you mentioned you were in REITs. The Al-Ghurair group in Dubai are massive in Banking, Real Estate and Construction. They have planned to start one or might have done so by now. (I was there in December)

Last edited:

jUiCeR

TRIBE Member
junglisthead said:

??

Care to elaborate?

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Gizmo said:
Not Dubai's directly. Only 6% of their GDP comes from oil. Although the major investor in a lot of their infrastructure is the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, the capital city's investment fund and the Emirate which is flooded with oil.

Part of Dubai's rationale for liberalistation is the lack of oil.

Dubai's money comes a lot from the Free Ports in Dubai and Jebel Ali.
Yes I know Dubai itsself does not rely on Oil. In fact, as of 2006 their GDP oil percentage has dropped to 4% according to the research Ive done..

However it is apparent that much of the development is due to a mass influx of investment dollars. You can bet that oil indirectly is the cause for such construction.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Like I said, it comes mostly from Abu Dhabi.

You might want to visit that city as well. It's no where as glitzy, but is the richest Emirate in the UAE. It's also the capital city. The Al-Nahyan ruling family are also the most powerful in the UAE, and Sheikh Khalifa is the President of the UAE.

Abu Dhabi gets overlooked due Dubai's publicity, but there are lots of investment opportunities there.

The ruler of Ras-Al-Khaimah, Sheikh Saqr bin Mohammed Al Qassimi is also considered a liberal and has recently begun ambitious expansion. (Ras-Al-Khaimah is one of the poorer Emirates) so there are opportunities arising there. He's basically trying to copy the Dubai model.

While Dubai gets all the glitz (rightfully so) the rest of the UAE is awash with cash, and the poorer Emirates are looking to spend it. If you could extend your trip to other Emirates there, it might be beneficial as there are investment opportunities in the whole country right now as the other Emirates take note of Dubai.

Last edited:

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Gizmo said:
Like I said, it comes moslty from Abu Dhabi.

You might want to visit that city as well. It's no where as glitzy, but is the richest Emirate in the UAE. The Al-Nahyan ruling family are also the most powerful in the UAE, and Sheikh Khalifa is the President of the UAE.

Abu Dhabi gets overlooked due Dubai's publicity, but there are lots of investment opportunities there.

The ruler of Ras-Al-Khaimah, Sheikh Saqr bin Mohammed Al Qassimi is also considered a liberal and has recently begun ambitious expansion. (Ras-Al-Khaimah is one of the poorer Emirates) so there are opportunities arising there.

While Dubai gets all the glitz (rightfully so) the rest of the UAE is awash with cash, and the poorer Emirates are looking to spend it. If you could extend your trip to other Emirates there, it might be beneficial.
Yes I would love to visit Abu Dhabi. Actually it seems rather easy to obtain a residence VISA too. Consitering that the UAE already has a well defined and reasonable tax treaty with Canada, it is tempting to consiter moving a business to the country. I read your other UAE thread... out of curiousity, why are you in Canada now?

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
As an expatriate you couldn't own land there in the 90s. (Now you can in the free zones, but it's heavily restricted) So my family were looking for something permanent. I came to Canada for university and got lucky and got a good job here afterwards. I like the freedoms you enjoy here in Canada that you might not necessarily enjoy in Dubai. For example if you are involved in a business dispute with a local Arab, you are going to be fucked. I like unrestricted internet surfing. I like the option to smoke weed for example.

Dubai wears down on you after a while. It's main pull is the tax free salaries and the money you can make. Except that has dimished as well as people flood in. There are literally thousands of people arriving monthly in the hopes of striking it rich. For most people it's chasing a dream. it is like a middle eastern vegas in that sense. and a lot of people get exploited.

Out of my schoolmates, 50% left and swore never to go back, 50% loved it and stayed. To be fair, this has changed to 70% staying there and 30% still out. I go back for vacations as a lot of my friends are still there and I have some family. We have a small side business with some of my old school mates going down there, which hopefully will grow. That could lead to having to move to Dubai for a while. I think I could probably do 2 years there, but then would want out again. Just a personal preference really.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories