1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

anyone use Adobe InDesign 2.0 ?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by patri©k, Aug 25, 2003.

1. patri©k

patri©k TRIBE Member

I'm going to be using this program over the next few weeks and wanted to know what people thought of it.

Any tips or tricks that would make its use any easier ?

thanks in advance.

patri©k

2. whatsnewpussycat

whatsnewpussycat TRIBE Member

I've been using InDesign for a while now. I found the dvd tutorial to be tedious (because of the nerdy loser who narrates it) but helpful. Most of the functions from PageMaker can be used for this program as well. Its like a hybrid of Illustrator and Pagemaker.

I like:
    the control over lettering, expert kearning, use of different spaces (n, m, hair thin spaces)
    how images come out crisper
    how its less temperamental than PageMaker (at least the version that I am used to)

I don't like:
    how you can directly cut and paste from word and excel with out all the fonts coming out totally fucked. For charts in excel, I usually make sure they are perfect, pdf and place them.
    For word, I just place the file and resize/change the text.

3. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

I have used InDesign everyday at work for the past 15 months. It is way, way better than Quark, despite what all the die-hard Quark users (read: practically everyone in publishing or print advertising) say.

There are very few times when I get angry at this program; it almost always does exactly what I want it to do. It can perform all the page-layout functions you'd expect, but it also does several things that would otherwise be done in Photoshop or Illustrator. Placing any type of file is pretty easy: you don't have to convert images to TIFs or EPSs first, like Quark. You can place a PDF directly, which is sometimes really helpful.

It even has a cool function for making Tables that look better than anything you could make in Word. There are too many features to list. One more that I'll mention is the functionality with OpenType fonts. A few of these fonts come with the program (they have the suffix "Pro"), and they have included options for oldstyle numbers, swash characters, etc.

Anyway, before I start sounding like a walking ad, I'll stop now. If you have any questions, pm me.

4. Astroboy

Astroboy TRIBE Member

the new version of Quark for OSX allows pacement of any file like a .pdf also ;)

5. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

It's still poo, though.

6. patri©k

patri©k TRIBE Member

lol.

thanks for the offer suger.... I'll probably be taking you up on that. I only used Quark a handful of times a year ago or so... so it's basically me learning from scratch.

I have photoshop skills (to some extent) and can use word, excel and powerpoint.

I basically want to create a catalogue. I will be incorporating photographs taken from my digital camera and I will also need to have text.

It shouldn't take me tooooo long to figure it all out... I put together Kadina's business card within a couple of days without any prior experience and we just got them back from the printer today as a matter of fact. *they look fucking crisp* :D

so... as I go along... I'll probably hit you up with some Q's.

there shall be spliffery as thanks.

:)

patrick

edit: I've been told that it's best to do all my picture manipulation in photoshop and everything else in InDesign.

7. patri©k

patri©k TRIBE Member

*bump*

patrick

8. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

yah, I use it sometimes...

I use quark a lot as I work at a design studio, and it's the industry standard, but indesign is nice enough.

can't say I've really delved too deeply into it as nobody uses it and there's not much point in using it unless you're outputting PDFs or something, which quark does as well.

I do know adobe layouts better than anything though, so I suspect that it's got a really easy learning curve..

I don't know if you're familiar with much of the layout terminology, but if you are it shouldn't be much of a problem.

dunno, if you've got any specific questions about that sort of thing I'd be happy to see if I'm able to sort them out for you.

9. suburban sound system

suburban sound system TRIBE Member

i do page layout daily and indesign is my program of choice i made the switch from Quark when version 1 came out and i have yet to look back.

I use ADOBE photoshop to fix images, I use ADOBE illustrator to illustrate and create vector graphics...to me it makes absolutly no sense to go and use quark I would much rather and feel much more comfortable using an ADOBE product to pull everything together....I find having similar tool bars and shortcuts makes me much more productive in the end.

One of the biggest problems with indesign when it came out and it was really the only problem was that alot of print houses didnt support it that has changed dramaticaly over the last year and its not even a issue anymore if a printer doesnt support indesign then its time to find a new printer who is growing with the times.

just my 2 cents

Last edited: Aug 26, 2003
  10. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

so I take it In Design is a desktop publishing program..

what ever happened to pagemaker?