• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Anyone replaced a HD in a MacBook to SSD?

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Has anyone swapped the HD in a MacBook before? I have an early 2008 MacBook running 10.6.8 and I am noticing the slow down. I have 4 GIGs of RAM in it.

How difficult is it to replace the hard drive with a SSD? Will there be a significant speed boost to the performance?

Any other hot tips on getting this old machine up and running. Im usually just surfing the net and the dam rainbow wheel is popping up.

thanks y'all

g

Stop Bill C-10

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ssd is the one upgrade that makes the most immediate and detectable speed boost in your computer -so yes will be a big difference.

On pc side there are utilities that can help you make the swap, I have used acronis for this but I'm sure there options for macs

You just want to make it so that you can swap drives with no hassle so a proper piece of software will make sure it duplicates your physical disk in a way that's bootable.

If you can remove your laptop hard drive you can even do the process in someone's desktop!

But I don't know apple apps all that well so another triber will have to help you with thT

wickedken

TRIBE Member
The physical part is straightforward. I think you'll have no problem with it. The most difficult part for me was working with the small small screws for the back cover. It's really just a lot of screws and a couple movable parts.

I did have to use pliers as improvised tools to remove the OEM HD bracket studs though...

greginhali

TRIBE Member
The physical part is straightforward. I think you'll have no problem with it. The most difficult part for me was working with the small small screws for the back cover. It's really just a lot of screws and a couple movable parts.

I did have to use pliers as improvised tools to remove the OEM HD bracket studs though...

I have been looking at some vids on how to pull the harddrive out of the macbook.

Did you notice a speed improvement?

How did you back up your OS so you could move it over to the new SSD?

thanks

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I've run into unrelated hardware issues with my mac and couldn't install a working operating system onto the SDD, so I don't know about speed improvements unfortunately.

In terms of backing up, as long as you have a bootable Mac install (CD or USD) you can install the latest OS you have downloaded from the App store. You can actually also get it imaged at the Apple Store as well which apparently takes less than 10 minutes, minus waiting for a tech to be available. I don't know of a way to copy over a current OS to another HDD without going via the install route.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
U need a disk clone app that can ensure the new drive is formatted correctly to boot off of, you won't get that from say connecting both disks to a computer and going "copy/paste"

The Peej

TRIBE Member
The Mac ships with software called "Disk Utility" which is all you need for cloning. Plug the old HDD in through USB, open Disk Utility, and then "Restore" the old disk onto the new one. Clone City. :D

greginhali

TRIBE Member
anyone have a recommendation on what model of SSD I should buy? Im going to pull this off.

I guess in need to buy a hard drive enclosure with an usb port for the old hard drive, so i can plug it in to the mac?

thanks for the input

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Intels are generally considered the best, but they are $$$. I also have a Samsung EVO 840, they are good value. I have a Seagate in my laptop and it performs pretty good. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the three, but Intels are known to be more reliable.

Anything SSD you get will kill any HDD in terms of speed.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I used this kit to add an additional SSD for the OS to my macbook and kept the HDD for my files etc.

OptiBay® Hard Drive and SSD Drive for MacBook Pro, MacBook, iMac, Mac mini, and PowerBook G4

It worked out really well for me. This also has a kit to allow you to turn your optidbay into an external disk drive should you need it.

I noticed a huge speed bonus. I think I used a Samsung SSD 840

Thanks for the link, i think i will go with this set up as well.Let me see if i have this straight.

So did you just buy the OptiBay and then buy the Samsung SSD 840 separately?

Once installed did you clone your HD over to the SSD?

And do you use both hard drives in the mac at the same time? SSD for the OS and the HD for storage?

thanks, im getting closer to pulling this off.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
if you're going to go with a 2nd drive (HDD or SSD) you have clarify if your macbook's optical drive uses SATA or IDE for the caddy. newer models will be SATA, older ones will be IDE.

If the optical drive is IDE then put the HDD in the caddy and the SSD where the HDD was to maximize the SSD's speed.

you can use a program called carbon copy cloner to clone a 10.6 start up drive. the newer versions of carbon copy cloner cost $$, but you should be able to DL the 10.6 compatible version for free.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Intels are generally considered the best, but they are $$$. I also have a Samsung EVO 840, they are good value. I have a Seagate in my laptop and it performs pretty good. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the three, but Intels are known to be more reliable.

Anything SSD you get will kill any HDD in terms of speed.

Actually before the latest gen of ssd (pcie and m.2 drives using the pci express bus to finally overcome the 6gbps Sata 2 standard), the 840 series was considered best performance on the market.

Eventually other companies caught up but Samsung had the performance and reliability edge in the consumer segment last few years.

Intel was no slouch but was more targeted to enterprise market, where it dominated, and for users with specialized workloads who needed insane durability.

Now it's the wild west again in this new generation - heck plextor has been picking up speed!

videotronic

TRIBE Member
i wouldn't get too caught up in worrying about SSD specs for that computer. everything you can buy today is faster than the SATA 1 bus in that machine. pull the HDD, put it in a $29 enclosure, install the SSD, boot from the HDD externally (hold option at boot, choose that drive from the startup manager screen) and then download and use carbon copy cloner to clone the HDD into the SSD. you can also accomplish much the same thing by booting from a 10.6 startup disc if you have one still

FWIW i would called apple once you do this and buy a 10.7 redemption code. its about $30 and will at least give you an OS and browsers that are supported. 10.6.8 is getting a little long in the tooth and tons of shit is getting to the point where its not working properly these days.