• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Anyone play squash?

AGrayson

TRIBE Member
Anyone go to the Metro Central YMCA?

I live at Yonge & Alexander, two blocks north of College. I'm dying for more squash.

adam

Stop Bill C-10

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
God I would love to hit Mofo with a squash ball. Not because I hate him, but because I love hitting people with a squash ball.

HUSTLE. How does one increase their hustle? Like your buddy gives you a cheap ass shot so your booking to the front wall... and you return it... to your friend so now he hammers it and your running like a madman to the back wall.

What excersises/practices/technique would a lumpy whitey like myself perform to improve my hustle?

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
God I would love to hit Mofo with a squash ball. Not because I hate him, but because I love hitting people with a squash ball.

HUSTLE. How does one increase their hustle? Like your buddy gives you a cheap ass shot so your booking to the front wall... and you return it... to your friend so now he hammers it and your running like a madman to the back wall.

What excersises/practices/technique would a lumpy whitey like myself perform to improve my hustle?

work with a medicine ball, do exercises that work on your fast twitch muscles, get your cardio work in so you don't get tired quick...most importantly, just play lots

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member

As Pat Benetar said...

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vinder
work with a medicine ball, do exercises that work on your fast twitch muscles, get your cardio work in so you don't get tired quick...most importantly, just play lots

I thought the slow twitch muscles fibres were responsible for endurance?

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut
I thought the slow twitch muscles fibres were responsible for endurance?

they are. re: fast twitch, more for that first couple steps to get you going.

i think squash, much like tennis, is more of an anerobic sport and you need to work on the "power" elements rather then endurance. playing long enouch you're endurance will naturally improve.

beaker

TRIBE Member

aside from good cardio, basic strategy comes down to where you hit the ball and where you position yourself after each shot.

try and practice hitting long shots down the walls. that's one of the first things to be able to master. if you hit the ball to the middle of the court, it's easy for your opponent to get to it and do whatever he/she wants with it.

after every shot, try to reposition yourself at the "T" in the middle of the court. that way you're only about 2-4 strides from anywhere on the court.

in the case you mentioned, try and and hit a long shot to the back of the court and make his next shot more difficult.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
For Freedman

Get some practice in while I'm away Wadkins. Less mercy will be shown in 2004.

matt, we'll definitely get something going on my return :)

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
As Pat Benetar said...

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ARE YOUNG!

HEART ACHE THROUGH HEART ACHE - WE STAND!

NO PROMISES - NO DEMANDS!

ALL OF US KNOWING.............................

LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD!

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Thanks beaker and basic. I only started playing this year but I love it. At first I would be all over the court - just happy to return the ball. My partner would basically stand in the middle of the court hammering it to the four corners of the room. No matter how I hit it the ball would wind up exactly where he was. My friend was saying to me 'you're good but you've got to learn to control where the ball goes.' I'm much better now. We share most of the running.

God I hate those cheap ass shots.

Except when I do them.

:D

beaker

TRIBE Member
yeah some of it is also being able to predict where your opponent is going to hit the ball, by looking at how they stand and swing and that only comes with years of practice. i played a lot as a kid and just started playing again about 6 months ago and found it to be one of the things i'd almost completely forgotten. if you have to wait until the ball almost hits the wall to figure out where it's going, then you're going to be putting yourself through a lot more pain.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Re: For Freedman

Originally posted by Gizmo
Get some practice in while I'm away Wadkins. Less mercy will be shown in 2004.

matt, we'll definitely get something going on my return :)

SEE! I would like to play a guy like Giz. He's has the same body type as I do, right? Pushing 190 - 200 lbs. Lots of power. Perhaps a bit of trouble with the hustle.

Everyone I play weighs 160. They prance around like gazelles but have trouble returning a rocket. When they get clipped by the ball it's like a scene from Saving Private Ryan. That's my edge. I would never intentionally hit someone with a ball (except Mofo) but people have been hit because the ball comes right at them.

HA! Yesterday I am booking to the front of the wall because of a cheap ass shot and I've learned enough to know that if you can return a cheap ass shot and the cheap ass guy is still near the front wall you DRILL it and make him run to the back. So I do that and the ball hits the wall and smacks my own temple. Mind you I'm about two feet from the wall. I do a 360 and start laughing. I thought I made the shot. My friend is like 'whoa dude take a rest!' I'm like 'take your point you cheap ass bastard.'

Your friends can't complain that you hit them with the ball when you manage to hit yourself harder than they have ever been beaned.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
I'm a cheap ass squash player. I live on the drops, the fading boast, and the deep drop by the back wall.

nothing more satisfying than seeing your opponent hurtle into the back glass at 40 mph as he scrambles to recover a lob.

juice

TRIBE Member
I have a question in regards to the dots on the ball. I heard someone say that they've recently changed the colour scheme and what it means to the ball. Isn't it that yellow = very dense while blue = very bouncy ?

beaker

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: For Freedman

Your friends can't complain that you hit them with the ball when you manage to hit yourself harder than they have ever been beaned.

hahahah!

just in case you didnt' know - if your opponent is standing in the way of your shot, you're actually supposed to call a let and not hit the ball. if your opponent wasn't making any effort to get out of the way, it'd be a stroke (your point). if they were moving it's a redo.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by juice
I have a question in regards to the dots on the ball. I heard someone say that they've recently changed the colour scheme and what it means to the ball. Isn't it that yellow = very dense while blue = very bouncy ?

yellow dot used to be the pro standard but now that's changed to double yellow dot.

but yeah blue is the bounciest and double yellow is the least bouncy. i guess white and red are in between. and i think white is used for doubles.