1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Anyone own an older BMW? Anyone know much about the X5?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by todiefor, Mar 27, 2010.

1. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

So, I'm considering buying an '02 X5 with about 150,000 K on it. I've done some research on these vehicles but thought I'd see if any of you have any first-hand experience with BMW.

My main question are: how reliable are they as they get older in the tooth? Are X5's good in sketchy weather? I do a lot of winter driving in the mountains so that's important.

Thanks!

2. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Holy BMW and Infiniti ads!!!

3. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Personally, I would never buy a BMW for reliability.

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

The X5 is actually one of the few BMW models manufactured in North America (in South Carolina). It is a relatively new manufacturing facility without a good track record of quality.

Personally, I would avoid the model.

5. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

listen to agent smith.

who the hell needs to buy a 150,000 KM x5? what a terrible trap that is.

6. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

The 2004+ are the best models. The 2002-2004 were plagued with recalls and issues.

Look at the resale on a 2002-2003 X5. Anyone can buy one with 80K kms for $16,000. First, BMW repairs aren't cheap and now you're buying one that's notorious for minor issues.

It was their first attempt at an suv so it had a ton of issues. 2004+ is the way to go.

I'd much sooner trust a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder with 150K kms vs a 2002 BMX X5 with 150K kms.

7. octo

octo TRIBE Member

are bimmers more or less reliable than audi/vw?

i have an A3 and i'm considering getting rid of it before the warranty expires.

how's the 3 series for reliability?

todie: you should look at the 5 series Touring model. i think it has awd

8. the_fornicator

You can't really say that one brand is more reliable than the other. What brand and which model are you comparing it to?

Some models are built in different countries (some models of VW are built in Germany, whereas others are built in Mexico) so there might be some quality issues there. Moreover, they might have been built in a certain country after a certain time as well. So that's something to keep in mind.

Some generations of vehicles are also plagued by certain issues as well.

So to say you have an A3 is really vague.

Re: your 3-series question - which generation? What year? What model? Engine size, if it was ever an option, etc., etc.

imo, hard to put a blanket statement when comparing german cars. you really have to get down to the year and model that you're comparing.

9. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I know someone who works (or did work) in the service department at a big BMW dealership. Specifically he was working in the parts ordering role. He once told me that his day was hell because he had to tell people the ridiculous prices they were going to have to pay for their new part.

Just based on his attitude towards BMW service I would never buy a BMW that's outside of a warranty. It will bankrupt you.

10. the_fornicator

Mark up on german parts is ridiculous.

My boss wanted a part for his A4. I forget which part (it was a couple years ago). An audi dealership quoted him $450 for the part. I worked right by an audi dealership in Munich and got the part for 80EUR or roughly $120CAD. Mailed, $200.

It was a super small part too.

11. Pottsie

Pottsie TRIBE Member

Would buying the X5 turn you into an asshole driver? I have had bad experiences on the road with idiot X5 drivers and either they are the hardest car in the world to drive or they attract the most number of asshole drivers

12. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

I drive a '96 A4 with about 150K km that I bought in the US 6 years ago, but I would NEVER maintain it at a dealer. There is an awesome shop in Etobicoke specializing in VWs and Audis called Eurotech that does an outstanding job with very reasonable parts/service pricing. I do not know of a similar BMW shop.

Used cars, even German ones, can present fantastic buys. You just have to expect to pay a bit more for parts than North American/Japanese/Korean equivalents. The X5 would not, however, be a model that I would consider.

Look at good models less than 4 years old, buy in US where the weather is good (and now that the dollar is strong), and import.

13. the_fornicator

Keep in mind, though, that a lot of states won't sell a new vehicle to a non-US resident.

Canadians flooded down to the states the last time our dollar was ~par and some dealerships state-wide established magical new policies to protect the Canadian car industry.

14. rswbrixton

rswbrixton TRIBE Member

id stear clear of the 02 x5 - and similiar year(s) mercedes ml , land rover etc etc .

a host of issues on those makes from that 2000-2005 - no one make was really any better than the other on a reliability scale - outside of warranty the money pit begins .

Later models on the cuv - suv platforms seemed to have ironed out more of the wrinkles electronic and drivetrain related .

15. octo

octo TRIBE Member

thanks for the eurotech tip!

i have another 40k of warranty and free maintenance at the dealer but if i keep the A3 after the warranty period i'll definately check out eurotech.

FYI their website says they fix BMWs too.

Eurotech Import Auto, Etobicoke, Ontario - servicing import autos in the Greater Toronto area

i'm going to miss Candi the smoking hot receptionist at Pfaff Audi in Vaughan

16. octo

octo TRIBE Member

not really. there's only one generation of A3 that has been sold here.

mine's a it's a 2006 2.0T and if i were to get rid of it for a bimmer i would get a current gen 328i or 328xi Touring.

i doubt i'd end up in a bimmer though. a lexus IS250 would be more likely.

17. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

thanks for the advice and info. I'll be avoiding the 02 x5 for sure.

18. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

Nice one, love the 3 series wagons. Too bad we don't get the 335i Touring in North America, damn shame if you ask me.

19. the_fornicator

I thought there were 2 generations sold in Canada?

96-03 and 03-present?

20. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

Negative. '06 model year was the first A3 sold in North America.