• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Anyone interested in Canadian Music Week recommendations?

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
I'm definitely checking out a few bands during Canadian Music Week ... thought I'd post my recommendations here and others could do the same. I've posted the blurbs from the CMW site rather than trying to describe them myself, except for the last band which are not yet confirmed on the website.

Canadian Music Week website

Duane Andrews (St John's, Newfoundland)
Inspired by legendary guitarist Django Reinhardt, Duane Andrews performs a melange of jazz and folk music.
www.duaneandrews.ca

Festival Showcase: Friday March 5 at Grossman's Tavern @ 9:30pm

Mark Bragg & The Black Wedding Band (Halifax, Nova Scotia - orig from Nfld)
Their debut recording "The Reckless Kind" (Maple Nationwide) is a genre-crossing cabaret, deftly driven by Bragg's knack for illuminating dark and tragic characters through song. www.markbragg.com

Festival Showcase: Saturday March 6 at Tequila Lounge @ 11:00pm

Trimmed Navel Beef (St. John's, Newfoundland)
These guys are totally high energy, fun, rap n roll -- think the Beastie Boys. Their show has not yet been confirmed but I hear they are coming so I'm hopeful. I've only seen footage of them, not a whole show, but I really want to check them out. I think it would be a ridiculous amount of fun.

Three very different bands but all fantastic in their own right.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
I am actually working as a music video - grant scout for the CMW - i am thinking of checking out the King Sunshime show and a few others, the jazzone that you metioned sounds good

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
I know that Duane Andrews is talking with a director (Sheldon Gillett, www.giantsquidfilms.com) lately - together they are interested in looking for funding to put together a video.

on Duane's site there is a download so you can check out a sample of his playing.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
here's another recommendation from a friend of mine ...

My recommendation this year is Metric on Thursday, March 4th at the Phoenix.

Why? The album is one of my favourites from last year, and topped tons of year end charts, including the Toronto Star. In the past couple of months the buzz has really started to kick in, with reviews/mentions in Rolling Stone, Spin and more. Think alt rock with danceable beats. Think icey cool blonde purring over undeniable pop hits. Or if you prefer, go to www.ilovemetric.com to see and hear the real deal sans my adjectives.

Metric hit the stage just before midnight. Tangiers (raunchy garage rock) and graph nobel (urban-ish hipster rock chanteuse who just signed to Columbia/sony) are the openers.

If you're whining right now about the late start because it's a "school night", it's time to readdress your priorities. The show will rock, the cool kids will all be there, and what's Friday anyway except the day before the weekend.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
I'm hoping to check out some of the Festival events, as well as some of the seminars and showcases...time to sweet talk the boss for a wristband.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
metric and tangiers would be an awesome show, two of the best bands of 2003

YAY! metric is playing hamilton [the casbah] on march 5th

i'll be there :)

Last edited:

badkitty

TRIBE Member
i saw metric when they opened for broken social scene a couple months back and was very impressed..so i think i will be going to see them again this thursday.

anyone know if there are advance tickets or is it just at the door??

i guess i can go look it up..

Smiley Jo

TRIBE Member
I'd recommend...

The Fullblast (Burlington, Ontario)
They blend fast, explosive punk rock with unparalleled rhythmic experimentation and melody, drawing inspiration from a breath of musical styles and artists. www.thefullblast.com
Festival Showcase: Friday March 5 at Reverb @ 10:30pm

I'm a bit bias when it comes to this ^^^ band, but all signs point to them exploding in the near future. I've heard this night is also the first chance to pick up their new album too! :)
...and if I can make it down Queen St. fast enough, I'll be checking out the dymanic duo below... :p

DJ's Tim Patrick and Paranoid Jack (Toronto, Ontario)
These guys started Fifth Sun Recordings specializing in tech house and are hoping that this new company will provide a solid addition to the growing number of labels that are causing the worldwide dance music industry to focus on Canada. www.fifthsunrecordings.com
Festival Showcase: Friday March 5 at Revival @ 1:00am

SJ
m-wai.gif

larazz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by badkitty
i saw metric when they opened for broken social scene a couple months back and was very impressed..so i think i will be going to see them again this thursday.

anyone know if there are advance tickets or is it just at the door??

i guess i can go look it up..

You can pick up advance tickets at CD replay on bloor st.

I'm so pumped to see Metric.. the album rocks!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Smiley Jo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Smiley Jo

DJ's Tim Patrick and Paranoid Jack (Toronto, Ontario)
Festival Showcase: Friday March 5 at Revival @ 1:00am

Okay apparently the info here is incorrect (CMW oughta check up on that :p ) and the showcase is actually on Thursday.
Details:

Thurs March 4th - Revival - $5 VIP / $10 Door
Nocturnal Magazine.net & CMW Presents "Elevate" - An Electronic Music Showcase
More info go to www.nocturnalmagazine.net
wristband/passes accepted

Hosted by MC Flipside
Ongoing art exhibit/live performance - Rebecca Dileo
10:00 - Slaps and Hammers
12:00 - Erik Simins
12:30 - Bobby Dreadfull
1:00 - DJs Tim Patrick & Paranoid Jack

SJ