• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

anyone here use a digital mixer?

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
I was thinking about switching platforms in the mixer world.

I had some time with a yamaha o1v and i felt that it was nice to work with. Lots of menues and what not but in the end very convient.

I am more concerned with the way they sound. I am just wondering if anyone has some input on this one.

Thanks

Mike G.

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
just tried to pm Kid Epic but it would not go through.

Hmmmmm.

if you can get in touch with him please ask him to pm me or post here.

Thanks

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mike Goodwin
I was thinking about switching platforms in the mixer world.

I had some time with a yamaha o1v and i felt that it was nice to work with. Lots of menues and what not but in the end very convient.

I am more concerned with the way they sound. I am just wondering if anyone has some input on this one.

Thanks

Mike G.
What do you record to?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
I've (breifly) used the 02R and the 03D and was very impressed by both in terms of functionality, sound and flexibility.

I want one!!!!

why not

TRIBE Member
i don't like having to search menues for effect sends and EQs, but i do like the idea of being able to automate mixes easily.
sound wise, digital mixers are clean (as long as you aren't going really budget), but personally i'd rather find a good old analogue one that will warm up the sound a bit, and that has real knobs to turn.

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
So i take it you dont like digital mixers very much then. Care to say why?

It seems to me that the only a couple of points against them
One being the quality of the A/D and D/As.
And the fact that you are dealing with menues.

I guess if you rely on them to warm up the sound then you can't do that with them either.

It just seems to me that you can't get away from going digital in the end, unless the people that you are selling your tracks to have not thrown out there 2" reel to reel's yet. And for comercial use it all gets compressed down to "cd quality" sound.

That is just the way it seems to me.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
I should say that I don't hate all digital mixers. The ones I do like I am sure you will not be able to afford and are only at the extreme high end. Also I think they can serve a good purpose to post production but I will state I do hate the sound of CD quality. Even 24 bit 96KHz lacks something. I am not trying to raise another debate as I have a few going on already on such subjects. That being said digital at anything less than DSD(Direct Stream Digital) or PCM 25bit 356KHz will not sound better than analog. Of course there is bad analog like IMHO Mackie Mixers.

sputnik

TRIBE Member
I use a Roland VM-3100 Pro with a Delta R-Bus audio card. I have 20 inputs, midi control, effects, guitar input, 2 mic pre's and a whole bunch of other stuff.

It's only 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, but that's satisfactory for my purposes. I'm not a professional by any means, and as most of my stuff is sample based and recorded off minidisc, that's way more than I need.

I was lucky enough to get it all used and paid less than $600 including the sound card.

It did take a long time to figure out, and I know there's lot's more to learn. The Roland manual really sucks though.

If you can find one, they are going for even cheaper nowadays, as everyone, including hobbyists, thinks they need 24 bit, 192 kHz (which is rediculous, as far as I'm concerned).

The sound card uses the standard M-Audio delta drivers too.

Cheers,
Paul

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by sputnik
everyone, including hobbyists, thinks they need 24 bit, 192 kHz
Come on, man! It's the emperors new sound! Only idiots can't hear the difference. I for one can hear the difference between 2 sine waves with a 10 degrees phase shift. ;)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
ya with ppl using monitors that sound like headphones turned up loud across a room then I see the point on why ppl can't hear a difference. ^^

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
that is an interesting post. I wonder though how much it means in the world of music.

Is a puls that short even deticted by the human ear?

Interesting.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Deus

TRIBE Member
What is the deal with people wanting the absolute most accurate sound? I don't get it. Of course analog is the most accurate and the higher sampling frequencies and bit rates will give more accurate sound but we can't hear a 3microsecond wave form so it's redundant. We're only making electronic music here for others to listen to, we don't need to be so anal about getting the most accurate waveforms. 99 percent of the people who listen to our music will not be listening to them on 10,000 dollar sound systems. And most people will not like your music more if you have the best possible sound quality but the music artistically still sucks.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deus
What is the deal with people wanting the absolute most accurate sound? I don't get it. Of course analog is the most accurate and the higher sampling frequencies and bit rates will give more accurate sound but we can't hear a 3microsecond wave form so it's redundant. We're only making electronic music here for others to listen to, we don't need to be so anal about getting the most accurate waveforms. 99 percent of the people who listen to our music will not be listening to them on 10,000 dollar sound systems. And most people will not like your music more if you have the best possible sound quality but the music artistically still sucks.

You know what fu*K the specs and listen. If you can not hear added space smoother highs then you are deaf. Even on the average system I can tell the difference, yet alone a hi-end system. The difference is not so subtle and the specs are just a way of backing things up. I am tired of ppl saying oh how can I tell a 3ms differnce. Listen then comment.

Deus

TRIBE Member
I'm not talking about you hearing the difference in your own music, I'm talking about 99 percent of the people who will listen to your track. They don't care if it is 16bit 44kHz or a gigabit and a zillion kHz, because it's not THAT much of a difference only to the HIGHLY trained ear. And if you're here to tell us how highly trained your ear is then that's good for you, but the overwhelming majority don't give a shit about some extra little frequencies.

sputnik

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deus
I'm not talking about you hearing the difference in your own music, I'm talking about 99 percent of the people who will listen to your track. They don't care if it is 16bit 44kHz or a gigabit and a zillion kHz, because it's not THAT much of a difference only to the HIGHLY trained ear. And if you're here to tell us how highly trained your ear is then that's good for you, but the overwhelming majority don't give a shit about some extra little frequencies.
Or, more importantly, the fact that it costs thousands of dollars in studio equipment and treatment to get that tiny increment in sound quality.

I can tell the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit, especially after using effects and stuff. I can also tell the difference in sound between my Thorens turntable and cd's played on my excellent Polk loudspeakers. So what?

But for my little home hobby studio, with a minidisc field recorder and event monitors, 16/44.1 is far more than I require.

But you'll never convince me that it's worth spending the money on such high grade analogue equipment, especially since I have to use the AD/DA from my delta sound card anyway.

If you can hear the difference on an "average" system, I must question your definition of "average". Or, maybe, just maybe, your mind is playing tricks on you.

I think, mr humanjava, that you live in a different world than the rest of us. You must be a very rich man.

That's what I think,
Paul

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
just for the record i was not meaning to sound condisending in my last posts. After reading them I saw that they may have come out that way.

But I am still wondering what you record to Humanjava.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories