• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

anyone getting an MBA?

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
whats the deal with an MBA,
does it really expand your job opportunities?

what about an international one?
i was vaugely looking at a bus. school in italy and im not sure if toronto firms really give much weight to international mba's...

any thoughts on this one?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Like in Canada it would depend on what bus school you went to abroad. If you went to a school like INSEAD you'll get hired right out of school no matter what. However, schools in Europe are generally recruited by firms based in Europe.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure how much you have already thought about/researched this already but I would recommend that you use Business Week as a starting off point.

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/index.html

They have great info on their website and the also publish books on the bschools every year. There is some info there on top international schoold but it's not international heavy.

Once you start getting an idea that you want to do it and what schools you want to go to... do your best to get into contact with students/graduates of the school itself.

I'm moving towards doing my mba and this is how I got started on it all. My brother just finished his MBA and I know that the market for jobs getting out can be really competative.

It's probably no secret but it's all about recruiting. Schools may therefore advertise and pump up recruiting at their school but real students and impartial ones will give you a good heads up on that.

My advice: rock the GMAT, put together the best applications you can... and try and get into the best school possible. This will ensure you have the best chances getting something good on the other end.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
To those of you getting your MBA I say this: awesome!

An MBA is one of the few degrees that you can get that will serve you in a variety of fields.

I wish I had got one when I was younger.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
No way.
An MBA isn't worth the paper it's printed on these days.
Ok, perhaps that's a bit much, but when I did my HBA at western I took the same classes as MBAs, chatted with them about job prospects, and when I saw them interviewing for the same positions as I was, I felt bad for them.
Do not do your MBA if a/ you already have a business degree or b/ you are paying out of your own pocket. Find a company that will give tuition assistance and a promotion once you're done.

There are toooooo many MBAs out there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
No way.
Ok, perhaps that's a bit much, but when I did my HBA at western I took the same classes as MBAs, chatted with them about job prospects, and when I saw them interviewing for the same positions as I was, I felt bad for them.
Do not do your MBA if a/ you already have a business degree or b/ you are paying out of your own pocket. Find a company that will give tuition assistance and a promotion once you're done.

wouldn't that make it more standardized then? (i.e you'll look worse if you are one of the few who do not have one)

I dunno, I'm thinking about it, but honestly I am getting ultra fed up of the whole system in general.

spending half your life in school just so that you can spend the rest of it working 40 hours a week. doesn't seem too appealing to me.

Cydome

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the_fornicator
spending half your life in school just so that you can spend the rest of it working 40 hours a week. doesn't seem too appealing to me.

can I get an AMEN!

Poot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
No way.

Hmmm.... I may have to disagree with some of what you've said. I DO agree that there's very little value added to when you finish your HBComm or HBA, then jump right into an MBA w/no work experience. You, as a student, have little to add to the class, and without the real-world work perspective, will not likely take all that much away from the class that your undergrad did not already provide you.

I do agree that you may be taking the same classes (by description or material covered anyways) as undergrads (this happened to me in a number of my senior level HBComm classes), but when surrounded by classmates from many backgrounds, varied experiences and with the insights your freshfraced colleagues in undergrad could not provide, I do believe there is great value to be derived from this.

All that said, many many many finance & other commerce type jobs DO require that you have an MBA, and without one, you are banking that your experience alone will give you the leg up on all your competitors. This is tough. Plus many firms will recruit solely from MBA candidate pools, not undergrads.

I have completed a professional accounting designation, and though I always thought that would be it for me, I am starting to truly understand that that alone is not enough.

Lastly, going back to do an MBA allows you to focus (depending on the school...) on a subject area (i.e. marketing vs. finance, finance vs. accounting) that you may not have spent much undergrad time specializing in, but after a few years of work experience, have realized is an area you are much more interested in than your original study path.

Long-winded, but that's my opinion :)

labRat

TRIBE Member
do you know what field/industry you would like to be in?
have you worked at a reasonable level for at least five years?

if you answered NO to these, then don't bother.

people getting MBAs right outta university are crazy. it serves little to no purpose.

i may eventually, one day, go for an MBA. but only once I know what I want it for.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the_fornicator

40 hours a week? In a professional career?

That is very, very, very rare.

Try 50 - 60 or more.... depending of course, on your industry, line of work, etc.

This 9 - 5 thing, I think, is somewhat of a myth.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
It was part of the reason why I took this job, to take it part time, and to be all paid for at York. We haven't been able to fit the time in as of yet. But its on the radar screen for next year give or take a few other deliverables I have.

That being said I know I posted something about MBA schools and how they rank not that long ago. It was from Canadian Business Magazine (Oct. 27-Nov. 9, 2003 issue of Canadian Business)

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Alot of the research I have done has indicated that an MBA is a great way to narrow down what you might want to do in the future.

Personally, I know what I don't want to do and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do so I plan on using my MBA to dive in a bit more and see what things are like.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
nice repsonses,

yeah i figured a few things,
theres one in italy thats their highest ranked,
its 13 months consecutive and you need work experience, which i got 2 wiht a banka and 4 with the goverment so thats not bad.

its coin but its only one year, and i always wanted to live in italy for a bit, and brush on my italian.

im just curious about canadian companies looking at international mba's....

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by judge wopner
depends really on the focus of the MBA. if it is European business, and the company needs someone with that experience then it's game on. if it's international business and that's what they're looking for .. again game on.

but if you're looking to work for a strictly canadian company with dealings only in canada or North America, then it may not be as useful.

but, then again, the experience can always outweigh that.

the degree will most likely be looked at as legit from employers, whether officially or unofficially. and especially so if the school is reknowned.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by judge wopner

Side note:

There is a guy here who has his IMBA, he is the biggest jerk, pylon I have ever met.

Came into our group one day, asking for this that and the other thing. Gloating about his credentials. Noticed that I had a protein smoothie. Anyway he stuck up a conversation trying to break the ice with us after his gloating.

Him: So you drinking a protein shake, you look like you work out.
Me: yep
Him: yadda yadda yadda, I used to take all that stuff, and work out. But had to give it up to do my IMBA.
Me: Interesting, judging by the size of you, that must have been along time ago.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by ChrisD
Enjoy
---------------------
Everything you always wanted to know about doing your MBA but were afraid to ask. What are the costs? How are your job prospects? Who ranks where? And is it ultimately worth the trouble?

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/special_issues/mba03/index.htm
MBA ROI
We figured out how much you would make over seven years earning a school’s starting salary, with a 10% raise per year, minus wages lost during class and on tuition. We subtracted how much you would have made by not getting an MBA, based on each school’s entering salary at an increase of 5% per year to get the ROI.

Metrics
-University
-return on investment
-Average entering salary
-Average starting salary
-% change

Victoria
$266,676
$40,068
$84,600
111%

Joseph L. Rotman (Toronto)
$210,587
$46,580
$94,000
102 %

Michael G. DeGroote (McMaster)
$192,916
$27,354
$63,119
131 %

Schulich (York)
$167,077
$41,000
$78,200
91 %

Sauder (British Columbia)
$152,063
$44,000
$71,696
63 %

Simon Fraser
$139,611
$37,500
$60,000
60 %

Laval
$136,740
$25,185
$49,850
98 %

Alberta
$120,982
$35,000
$61,000
74 %

Ottawa
$116,292
$46,636
$66,100
42 %

Frank H. Sobey (Saint Mary’s)
$102,927
$32,187
$54,640
70 %

McGill
$93,001
$57,000
$83,000
46 %

John Molson (Concordia)
$82,083
$48,000
$70,239
46 %

Haskayne (Calgary)
$55,082
$53,660
$74,045
38 %

HEC Montréal
$24,583
$57,540
$64,930
13 %

Moncton
$24,264
$67,300
$80,126
19 %

Moncton
–$30,963
$45,000
$50,000
11%

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jessica P
40 hours a week? In a professional career?

That is very, very, very rare.

Try 50 - 60 or more.... depending of course, on your industry, line of work, etc.

This 9 - 5 thing, I think, is somewhat of a myth.

you are just full of obvious factoids.

funky_citrus

TRIBE Member
Im considering getting my MBA. I have to write the Gmat's still, but it's something that I am deffinately thinking about.

~Leslie~

zoo

TRIBE Member
i'm in a keener engineering + business program that allows me to complete an MBA in one year of classes, as long as i have at least 12 months of work experience, and i decide to do this within 5-10 years [depending on the business school, york, ottawa, or mac]

i do intend on getting an mba, but probably after a few years of work ... if i can get a company to help partially subsidize it, i'd rather do that ...

if not, i'll just be in school until i'm 25-26 and graduate underexperiened to do anything i'll be academically qualified for ...