• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

anyone fought a speeding ticket and won?

starr

TRIBE Member
Does this ever happen?

No, really.
My ticket is only for 10 over, I didn't realize I was in a 40 zone - stupid Oriole Parkway.

I just don't want my rates to go up, I was going to fight it...but is there any point? I don't really have anything to say to the court, except pity me.

Is this really going to fuck over my insurance....I haven't had any for awhile and will probably be getting some insurance for a Prius soon.

I hate insurance!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

aimeesan

TRIBE Member
Last week I got a ticket for 34 over which is $157. I've been asking many people what they would do and keep getting mixed answers. I've been told shortly after you get a ticket (like an hour or something), it's sent to yer insurance so they always know about it right away. If I was you and only got 10 over, I'd just pay it and be done with it-I doubt that will affect yer insurance. Me, I get 4 points cuz of my speeding. I'm in such a dilemma, if I fight it, I have to either pay someone to do it for me, which will cost more than the ticket, or take time off work to go to court. Either way I'm screwed. Any suggestions?

starr

TRIBE Member
yeah, i did a search and checked an old thread about speeding tickets

someone recommended to look up fyst (fight your speeding tickets) on google, since they have tips for ontario courts

but the site isn't working right now :(

hope it's just a temporary glitch

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
they say you should always fight a speeding ticket. that you can almost always have the charge lessened, the fine decreased, or not lose demerit points.

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
I had two tickets in one pulle over (46 over) and failure to show my License.

Cop advised me to fight them. I did that and he never showed. $450 dolalrs worth of tickets tossed out.

They either dotn show or lessen the fine. If youa re a student work that angle.

starr

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by aimeesan
I'm in such a dilemma, if I fight it, I have to either pay someone to do it for me, which will cost more than the ticket, or take time off work to go to court. Either way I'm screwed. Any suggestions?

you should definitely at least go in and talk to the prosecutor

usually they'll plead it down a little...but it will cost you work time

i was doing a bit over 50 (the cop said 60 but i'm SURE i wasn't going over 55 - wish i asked to see the radar) in the 40

i don't mind sucking it up and paying, i was just wondering if anyone had fought and won

when i went in to the see the prosecutor he said if i booked a court date i'd probably lose, but the fine wouldn't be more than it was already

edit: alright i'm getting the sense i should just go in

ivan - what were you going to say in court if the cop showed? or was it just going to be along the lines of "pity me"...that's what i'm going with so far

Last edited:

Special K

TRIBE Member
ive been REALLY LUCKY with the last few traffic tickets ive gotten

ie. ive showed up to court and the cop wasnt there

:D

starr

TRIBE Member
same question to you special k, did you have anything prepared to say if the cop showed up

my court date is tomorrow at 9am i think

i was thinking about going in today and just paying it, but i guess i'll just go in to court and see what happens

i do have some arguments, i wish that fyst site was up

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr

ivan - what were you going to say in court if the cop showed? or was it just going to be along the lines of "pity me"...that's what i'm going with so far

I was goign to ask for the fien to be lessened. I was lookign for th cop and was going to chat with him before I went up. The cop seemed cool and undersatndign so that was my game plan. Nto all cops can be that way. Show up early and talk to the prosecutor. See what yoru options are.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I've had one reduced to just a fine and no points. I was going 90 in a 40.

I went to traffic court (keele st) and plead guilty but with reasons...

Ie I was on the Gardiner then ended up on the Queensway by accident. blah blah

I said I was a student and had just paid expenses and had no money.

So they reduced the fine, gave me 60 days to pay and made it no points deducted.

starr

TRIBE Member
got it :)

thanks all...perhaps i can post in this thread tomorrow with evidence of a victory

lucky1 anything happen to your insurance?

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Special K
ive been REALLY LUCKY with the last few traffic tickets ive gotten
I am either truely skilled, or truely lucky. I've been pulled over 12 times in the last 3 years. Only 1 resulted in a minor ticket (failure to signal lane change ... I only moved into the other lane so that the guy behind me could make a right at the red light).

If I were you though, I would just pay the fine. 10 over is no points and a very small fine. It is not worth going to court for and will most likely not affect your insurance.

Cheers ... Ian :)

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
You don't get points for going 10 km over, just a fine. I don't know if that will affect your insurance or not. I would fight it anyways, hoping the cop won't show up. Usually when the cop shows up he'll ask you if you want to plead guilty and he'll reduce the charges; I don't know if he'll do this in your case since there's no much more he can do when it's only a fine.

The first time I got a ticket my trial date was set more than a year after the incident, so the judge just threw out the case saying it was an unreasonable amount of time to be tried.*

*I got a ticket driving home after the trial for almost the exact speed over the speed limit. :eek:

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
they say you should always fight a speeding ticket. that you can almost always have the charge lessened, the fine decreased, or not lose demerit points.

ALWAYS fight... most times the cops don't show. If your a student and plead guily with explanation, they reduce. Hire a lawyer and pay to have them tossed...the money for the lawyer far outweights the insurnace hike for the next 10,000 years.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
As far as I know, insurance considers any speeding ticket under 40kmh as the same...if it's above 40, some consider it as a major offence instead of a minor one.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Whats the earliest you can have a ticket thrown out for being to long ago? I have to go on Wed for failure to stop :rolleyes: But that was 6 months ago.

I went to a justice of the peace for a 40km over ticket ($200+ and several points).

I schmoozed, used the poor student angle, made him laugh a couple of times and got it dropped to $50, no points. This was in kitchener though, not toronto - the process is probably different.

If the ticket were 10km (isn't that like 35 bucks?) I wouldn't even waste my time.

I've been pulled over so many fucking times and while I could have been charged with waaaaaaaaaay more over the limit after I'm done talking they have dropped it to 10 over with the exception of what I mentioned above. My insurance hasn't budged. I've had 4 of these tickets in the past 18 months alone. The only time my insurance went up was after a massive car wreck (which was not my fault) where the car was written off (not even my car). Fucking cock-knocker insurance company.

[/anectodal evidence]

starr

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
If the ticket were 10km (isn't that like 35 bucks?) I wouldn't even waste my time.

I've been pulled over so many fucking times and while I could have been charged with waaaaaaaaaay more over the limit after I'm done talking they have dropped it to 10 over with the exception of what I mentioned above. My insurance hasn't budged. I've had 4 of these tickets in the past 18 months alone. The only time my insurance went up was after a massive car wreck (which was not my fault) where the car was written off (not even my car). Fucking cock-knocker insurance company.

[/anectodal evidence]

yeah i'm don't really care about the fine

more worried about the insurance ramifications

once a long time ago i was caught doing 180 on the 401 and got nailed

long story...had insurance for about a year after that, haven't had it since

never been in an accident, and generally never speed....it was the first time i was taking the oriole parkway, stupid 2 blocks of road that are 40km only

Cydome

TRIBE Member
My friend who works at the courts told me that the "cop won't show up" angle is generally a bust, as they do show up 9 times out of 10. So there is a slight chance he won't, but I wouldn't count on it.

SJN

TRIBE Member
question: anybody else consider the possibility that maybe if you get busted for doing 50km over the speed limit, you should just pay the fucking ticket instead of wasting taxpayers money on fighting a charge which you were blatantly guilty of?