1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Anyone ever try Career Counselling?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by danielablau, Jun 7, 2010.

1. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

My job pays me ok, benefits are great, I have flexible hours, get every other Monday off, barely ever have stress.............that being said, I feel like I'm a gerbil on a treadmill.........

Anyone ever attend career counselling and had good results? I need to do something else with my worklife....this just ain't cutting it.
  2. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

i tried about 18 months ago.

Wanna know what the bitch told me to do? Go on welfare. No f'n joke. I went there to talk to her about second career shit. but none of that program applied to me because i didnt qualify for EI. So i asked her for some help and actual guidance to switch careers and she told me to go on welfare.

fuck these people. There's my story. Hope it helps.
  3. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Happiness is not a derived from where you work. If it's a tolerable environment, it's a bonus.

Suck up the treadmill feeling and compensate with drugs or alcohol.

Or you could get some hobbies/activities outside of work that are fulfilling.

Everyone fucking complains about work, suck it up buttercup.
  4. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

thats cause if you are on welfare you qualify for second career, and maybe even EI reachback.

Dan if you quit can i have your job, it sounds good to me.
  5. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

I've thought about it, many times. But I don't want to go back to school and I think that that is what they'll tell me I need to do, so I've avoided it.
  6. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

This is some good advice right here.

I'd like to add that you should also buy a lotto ticket. It is unlikely that you will win, but just dreaming about the money makes the ticket purchase worthwhile.

Oh yeah, it could be worse....you could be unemployed.
  7. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Boo fucking hoo.
  8. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

bunch of negative nancy's 'round here today. Jesus. Guy is just thinking about changing career direction and wants to know if anyone else has done it.

god forbid anyone should ask for help or feed back. :rolleyes:
  9. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

I think this is a relatively simple way of looking at things.

I work in a purely 9 - 5 and make great money. I have lots of external hobbies that I enjoy and friends that make my weekends great.

However, I am still contributing 8 hours of my day to something that is not constructive and doesn't give a sense of accomplishment. I realize how lucky I am, but that still doesn't cut it at the end of some days.

There is a difference between complaining and striving for better.
  10. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Much of the post was jest, but everyone seems to bitch about their circumstances.

The oft turned to solution is change, to move onto something else, SURELY THE GRASS IS GREENER ELSEWHERE!!!

This is the solution for everything these days. Not happy with your job/spouse/partner/house/apt/wardrobe run away from it. Happiness can be yours if you are fast enough and can catch up to it.

Heaven forbid they put more into their jobs/workplace/fitness/social circle/community.

If you aren't finding everything you need in your current circumstance, by all means strive for change, excitement, improvement, etc.

However the general malaise that stems from stagnation isn't necessarily job related, but it could just be life. How awesome was this job when it was new, the ins and outs of the office/customers/coworkers etc?

I'm just tired of the navel gazing, woe is me, it must be my job, bullshit that seems to be the new "why life sucks" fad of bellyaching.

Almost everyone I know that whines about their job, needs to address a multitude of things in their life from diet, activity level, drug use, sleep patterns and so on before they even consider a change of employment.

All changing jobs is to them is a new shiny toy. One that loses it's appeal 30 minutes after being opened before they start complaining about having nothing good to play with.
  11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

those employment centres are for people who reeeeeeally need the help. I'm sure that most of their clients are disabled, are on EI/welfare, coming out of jail, etc, which is probably why offering welfare as an option didn't seem like a far-off idea (but then again I don't know what KodiaK looks like). Anyway, Dan you can make it without going to a career counsellor. Those services are designed to help someone get from rock bottom to stand on their own two feet basically.

your best network will be friends in the same line of work, researching on your own, and possibly the help of a headhunting agency.

edit: and i didn't mean 'rock bottom' in a negative way - we are/were all there at one point.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  12. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Second career wasn't about people @ rock bottom as much as helping get people who needed $$$ for training back into the workforce as quickly as possible. Could be for long term people in the system, but seemed more about quick turnaround for recent layoffs into a new industry.

Especially into growth industries and understaffed ones like trades. Too bad the new funding setup enacted after the program ran out of funding in late 2009 screws over people taking short term certification for things like trucking, welding, electrical, etc
  13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

from what i understand, 'second career' is just one program of many, that an employment office can offer.
  14. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

career counselling is one of those ironic jobs
  15. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

it really is. very sad to know their are many capable people who wanted to take advantage of this program and couldn't. i also agree that it has nothing to do with being at 'rock bottom' (i think it was possibly a really bad choice in wording, sal de ban). but it did give people a quick turnaround to get working again... i feel that not enough people were able to take advantage of the program, and that the government kinda dropped the ball on it.

danielablau, you can try books such as 'what color is my parachute' etc... might give you some kind of direction of where you want to go.

in hindsight, we always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, until we see everything that teh fence was blocking. life is what you make it.
  16. erika

erika TRIBE Member

DB if you think it's worth a shot to talk to someone who might help steer you in a different direction, do it!!
    You may come out of it happier with where you are than you were going in; or you may come out of it having to make some tough decisions (e.g. go back to school or not), but it's worth a shot.
    A quick google search of career counselling in Toronto gave back tons of hits; you're not just limited to something provided by an EI office:

career counselling toronto - Google Search

Bonne chance.
  17. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

*runs for cover while dodging rotten cabbage heads*
  18. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

um.... there are career counselling resources other than for those who are on EI. It's not free, but it's available. And why shouldn't someone who wants to make a change but doesn't know which direction talk to someone who can help guide them toward something that they'd find more satisfying.

I'd hate to make the leap only to find out that I jumped on the wrong train.