• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Anyone else getting these weird phone calls?

ian

TRIBE Member
A computer keeps phoning my new number and telling me "I have messages at their service." It isn't Bell and I don't have that type of service anyway.

They say there is no charge and they want me to push 1 etc. etc.

I smell a scam (I do everywhere though) so I keep hanging up, besides it is annoying as hell, but it keeps phoning back.

Anyone else know what this is? It is ranking up there with telemarketers on my "piss me off" meter.

-ian g.

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
That sounds like a new service we're working on. Its messaging for non-subscribers to a carrier. People can send you messages from their own voicemail.

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dj Red Turtle
That sounds like a new service we're working on. Its messaging for non-subscribers to a carrier. People can send you messages from their own voicemail.
Interesting. Who is "we" out of curiosity?

ian

TRIBE Member
Ah. Cool. I like technology.

However, you may want to mention to those in marketing that this one isn't likely to be received by peeps with open arms and happy grins :D

I'm sure the focus groups will let them know though!

-ian g.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

poker face

TRIBE Member
I get a crank call every morning between 8:00 am and 12:00 pm. It is really weird because there is never any noise on the other end.

ian

TRIBE Member
Mystery solved:

Based on the good Turtle's information I was emboldened to actually follow the instructions the next time the annoying phone call rang. Despite any lack of previous identifying corporate information it turned out to be a call from Bell "Bundling Services" alerting me to the fact that they are looking in to my ExpressVu complaint.

Odd that.

They should probably say who they are right off the bat so it doesn't psyche people out.

Thanks for the info Turtle, hopefully they will stop calling now.

-ian g.

finary

TRIBE Promoter
I was getting 'prank calls' from an 800 number all last week.
I'd pick up, and just hear dead air... yell hello into the phone a bunch of times, then do my customary wailing on the # key to annoy the would-be prank caller... nothing...

the number would call in the morning, around noon, and after dinner... it got really annoying as it was bothering me on my personal cell phone while at work AND home..

finally the 800 number called for the 5th or 5th time, and i found out it was ROGERS! they were trying to sell me a cell phone to go with my tv and internet services...

HOLY CHRIST did i freak on the guy! i sincerely hope for his sake he actually removed me from the list this time. it was really really annoying!

/f

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I have a few on my cell phone...the messages start with a phone ring, then someone picks up 'Hello'.......Hellooooooo"?
'Well your talkative"....fucking ignornat cunt" click.

DAVE

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
My friend Isoprax gets a phone call from a telemarketer, he tries to sell the the telemarketer sumthin.. its really funny. they talk for a really long time..

DAvo..

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
My friend Isoprax gets a phone call from a telemarketer, he tries to sell the the telemarketer sumthin.. its really funny. they talk for a really long time..

DAvo..

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
A lot of times telemarketers call and there's a period of 'dead air' before the person starts in on their speil.

This is the process of them using an autodialer to just call every person on a list of phone numbers. The 'dead air' is the period of time required for the autodialer to a) recognize you've picked up, b) find a 'live person' who isn't on a phone call to some other schmuck and c) link that person to your phone line (oh, and display a bunch of crap about you on their screen). it's usually about 1-2 sec.
I like to wait until the person is actually on the phone, then let loose with an airhorn. Then I hang up.

"Then we throw the dixie cup away."

sugar

TRIBE Member
I got a weird message on my voicemail at work the other week that just said "What a joke" in this really disgusted voice.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dj Red Turtle
meh... new idea? Call answer has universal messaging, it can send a pre-recorded message to anyone whether the recipiant is a subscriber to any messaging service or not.

new to t.o.

TRIBE Member
I truly hate the recorded messages from a tool selling firewood. I get the message every other week & don't have a fucking fireplace! :mad: