• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Anyone been to Gasgow?

Boo

TRIBE Member
I'm heading off to Glasgow, Scotland this weekend. Staying at a hotel Doon-tooon.

Has anyone been there before and could recomend a few must see places? - time is short

We're only going for the weekend so - I don't really have time for Nessy or the highlands :(

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Damn, I was Scotland YEARS ago, when I was 17...too bad you're going to Glasgow though, because I remember Edinburgh being the more exciting City.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Go to Edinburgh, I liked it a lot more than Glasgow. And I think it is only about 2 hours by train. More to do and see, visit castles, climb Arthur's seat, the city itself is so much prettier.

Boo

TRIBE Member
Yeah, Edinburgh has all those kick ass castles - I remember seeing it on new years.

I want to go back for a full visit to Scotland, and see Nessy and eat Hagis and head butt some people but its Glasgow this weekend.

[Willie]TWe were engaged to be married, hen you got your sight back. Suddenly the ugliest man in Glasgow wasn't good enough for you?[/Willie]

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kmac

TRIBE Member
I've been a ton of times, but I was always with my family so I didn't get to party and do too much stuff besides visiting great aunts. There's shit to do and cool things to look at. Just walk around the city... St. Andrew's something or other for good shopping.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Go to the cathedral! It's just amazing. I sat in it for three days and slept in the graveyard behind it (but don't do that). Unbelievable.

Reflex

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
Go to the cathedral! It's just amazing. I sat in it for three days and slept in the graveyard behind it (but don't do that). Unbelievable.

now that's a story i'd like to hear more about

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Reflex
now that's a story i'd like to hear more about
Me too!

3 days at a catherderal and sleeping in a graveyard?

Did you happen to be on PCP by any chance?

chickpea

TRIBE Member
Edinburgh does have a lot to see and it pretty, but for me Glasgow has always been 'home' - just a more real city.

The Arches is amazing, both as an arts complex during the day, and a club at night. The art museum downtown is great - there is a statue of a man on a horse out front and kids always seem to throw a pilon on his head. Good times.

Sauchiehall Street is kind of like our version of Yonge Street - it can be fun to walk around.

Not sure when you're leaving but if you need more info let me know!

Heather

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Muad'ib
Go to Edinburgh, I liked it a lot more than Glasgow. And I think it is only about 2 hours by train. More to do and see, visit castles, climb Arthur's seat, the city itself is so much prettier.
also quite dirty as well.....

Check out Edinburgh Castle, very nice view of the city from the top of it.

Also from what I've heard, Edinburgh is a top notch city when it comes to partying on NYE.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
My family comes from Hamilton, just outside of Glasgow.

I really like Glasgow

I like Edinburgh better, but such is life.

Scotland is fantastic.

Have an awesome time.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i've always wanted to go. i somehow made it all over scotland, but managed to miss glasgow. even though i haven't been, i think i would like it more than edinburgh.

i'm jealous!!!

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dj frigid

Also from what I've heard, Edinburgh is a top notch city when it comes to partying on NYE.
hogmanay :mad: which was CANCELLED this year because of 40 mph winds and a little rain. NO contingency plan, they just herded people away and wouldn't even allow the street party to continue.

i like edinburgh better too. it's so much more charming and old-world-y and just so much more beautiful...but glasgow has it's own particular (working city textile industry) charm. it's easier to navigate than edinburgh as well, it's a simple grid city.

go to george square for people watching, it's one of the busiest parts of the city. it's also the center so it's easy to orient yourself around it. glasgow cathedral is lovely, and was built in the 16th century...it's the only cathedral that was spared the scottish reformation. kelvingrove art gallery and museum houses works by monet, van gogh, and rembrandt. princes square (on buchanan,) and suachiehall street are great for shopping. there's a wicked street wear shop on one of the high streets - i forget the name of it, but i'll post it tomorrow - that sells the COOLEST clothes, stuff you can't find here. they might have a celtic music festival on now, i know it's in january. see the burrell collection if you can - it's a collection of art by an eclectic scot who collected everything from chinese porcelain to cezanne.

oh, and pick up a bottle of whiskey - surprisingly, i found a nice bottle of dalwhinnie 15 year old that you can't get in canada at sainsbury's - for less than $40, with the exchange rate. or pick a single malt that's not from a major distillery, as there's tons of them in scotland.

if you get a chance get into the highlands for a few days, or at least to loch lommand and the trossachs. loch venechar is really nice too, (actually more scenic than loch lommand,) and much closer than the infamous loch ness.

have fun! :) if i can think of anything else before you go i'll let you know.

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
(let me once again express my disgust at hogmanay :mad:
what a disapointing nye. glasgow still had their hogmanay (which they didn't fail to take the piss out of edinburgh for,) and edinburgh was mocked by papers throughout britian the next day.

if anyone was here watching, they substituted footage of new year's revelers in london, when typically they show the fireworks and 'auld lang syne' on princes street at midnight. that's because this year, the party was cancelled. at 10:30 pm. with nowhere to go but a 30 quid cover club.:mad:...)

but scotland's beautiful and it was wonderful otherwise :)

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
^

that must have sucked. :\

but yeah, i hear ya on the highlands part, drove through the town of Braemar with my dad in 1990, it was definitely a sight for sore eyes with the women and the peaks. :)

Dirtymatt

TRIBE Member
I have been to Glasgow a few times from down south and I thought the Science Centre was brilliant. Loads of hands-on exhibitions to mess about with and just have a good time. Also the futuristic cinema in the centre is cool too. For other things try the centre square and the buildings off there- one of them is a tourist information centre which can give you loads of ideas for things to do, either expensive or cheap. They also offer tours which go onland and in the canals which is cool- but a bit cold this time of year.

I also recommend that you try some of Scotlands specialities

Haggis
Black Pudding
Deep Fried Mars Bars
Iron Bru
Mackeson Stout

Hope this helps

matt

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
DON'T TRY BLACK PUDDING!

it's a cake that you get at breakfast, mixed with oats and pigs blood. PIGS BLOOD! ahhHHh! ruuuuuun!

(irn bru is addictive though. the stuff in glass bottles, for some reason, just *tastes* better. and soak yer haggis in lots of grrrrravy.)

Dirtymatt

TRIBE Member
Black Pudding is an amazing hang-over cure and I can attest to that- but its healing powers are second only to those of white pudding (the Irish equivalent without as much blood and therefore not as tasty)

matt

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
i just couldn't get over that i was eating something made with pig's blood.

me : 'mmm. this is tasty, what is it?'
owen : 'that? it's black pudding'
me : 'oh'
owen : 'it's pig's blood and oats'
me : 'OHhhhhH!'

i also had pigeon as an appetizer when i was there, and thought the entire time i was eating it : 'pigeon's a dirty bird. it's a dirty, dirty bird. yup. pigeon's are dirty.'

i stopped asking or thinking about what was in my food after the second day.

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
I'm willing to try black pudding (haven't yet).

I love Haggis though, sheeps stomach with spices. :)

The only thing I don't like that I believe is Scottish cuisine is Trifle, can't stand it.

TRO

TRIBE Member
boo you'll have a kick ass time in glassgow my mom was raised in springburn which is a suburb of glassgow..I went there when I was young but I loved it...endenbrough is cool check it out only cus it's got alot of cultural sites to it..

think of the differences between the cities are like those of MTL and Toronto...MTL's got alot more culture..but Toronto is a booming metropolis...the only thing is glassgow's poor like a mother...there great ship yards cool orenge double decker buses...and alot of booze...bring some thistles back with you and don't forget the sweets...I loves me my galixies...

GO RANGERS!:D

-Bill

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders