• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Anybody know how to install a pre-hung exterior door

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Is it tough to do for a renovation n00b like moi? Or know anybody that is qualified and could do it for cash?

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
take the door out of the frame...get some shims and some screws, and a level, shouldnt be hard... make sure it is level and square or it wont close properly

catilyst

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
take the door out of the frame...get some shims and some screws, and a level, shouldnt be hard... make sure it is level and square or it wont close properly
Actually, it will be heavyer, but leave the door in the frame while installing. That way the frame is kept square during installation.

Google has some good step by steps you should check out.

Don't forget to insulate.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
catilyst said:
Actually, it will be heavyer, but leave the door in the frame while installing. That way the frame is kept square during installation.

Google has some good step by steps you should check out.

Don't forget to insulate.
you can do it that way too, but i would have a second guy there if you want to install it that way

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
There's a reason it's pre hung, and it isn't to give you something extra to do before you start!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I think this was one of the challenges on Canada's worst handyman...

those people can't read instructions?

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
It's not too difficutly, Alex, you should be good to go if you give yourself enough time to "learn" as you go. I've done it a couple of times and I'm by no means a pro when it comes to handyman stuff. The step-by-step guides that come with the doors are usually pretty great and if you bought one that doesn't have a guide you can find a ton of resources on the web. Not worth paying someone else to do it.

edit: *don't* take the door out of the frame...