1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Anybody going to the MESH conference?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, May 17, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

There's another one happening the same day called the 'meh' conference
  3. alexd

First speaker is a guy from the Guardian UK. Packed room.

Girls with pink hair = 2
    Balding guys wearing black = 98%
    Hijabs = 1
  4. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

5. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

I find it strange that the web conference actually has a horribly broken website that seems to have been coded by chimps for bananas.
  6. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i suppose i'd like to meet the vp of linkedin just to tell him that users have no idea how annoying their accounts are, inviting everyone in the contact list, and subsequent reminders to join the useless network.
  7. alexd

I am so depressed after spending a day in Keynote speeches and discussions.

This afternoon I watched a session with 3 journalists on a panel and the topic was: The Effect of Real-Time on Content. I listened as the New York Times' Jennifer Preston gleefully explained how the company is sourcing "value" content from tweeters now!!!! (exclamation marks added for glee) She explained how they did keep one who used a swearword in a tweet but only because he had a reputation on twitter, and I could tell they really agonized over that decision. I guess "value" can mean either content they like, or content that doesn't cost them anything, or both.

Another panelist, The Toronto Star's, Joanna Smith. who apparently was tweeting from Haiti after the earthquake, was wearing these distracting argyle stockings. I couldn't stop looking at them for some reason, and I imagined her in Port au Prince, clambering over the shattered concrete with her blackberry and argyle stockings, tweeting the horror in real time.

The question I never got to ask the panel is: Why are you guys even around, When I can get tweets, emails, posts, directly from a large number of people on a news scene who aren't "curated" by a newpaper first?

I guess they feel when they "curate", they give twats "value".

Anyway, it seems to me, and this was also mentioned in another room, that most people are getting their news from social networks, fb, forums, and twitter, and not from newspapers or TV these days. They do this because they trust forwarded new blurbs from their friends. The newspapers are going to have a hard time competing with that, argyle stockings notwithstanding.
  8. alexd

How much to tip staff on cruise ships?

Then, in another room, the discussion was about algorithm created content, and I'm not talking about the record throwing DJ (that's Algorhythm).

Here we have the new journalism, where content is created based on mathematical models of what people want to hear about. One of the panelists, whose site basically does a form of this, said it was a "race to the bottom".

The bottom? Low quality stories on topics like: How much to tip staff on cruise ships. These stories are being written by the very unemployed journalists who used to work for the newspapers; and you just know they are making virtually nothing to create that fluff.

Soon, they will be burning journalists in ovens to generate the power to run the SEO server farms.

Finally, one of the panelists, the US media scholar Chris Anderson, was wearing argyle socks! WTF! Is this some kind of bizarre fashion trend with geek journalists?
  9. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

75% of that stuff is garbage that people are over-intellectualizing while patting each other on the back.

Lots of people go to those things to suck up to the same group of people (who are often total geeks but that's not such a bad thing anymore) and tend to be overweight and unhealthy because the do nothing but work.

Sort of a rant there but I just think that people are talking up much of the social media/collaboration stuff in order to create the next big tech bubble that's going to burst in 5 years.