• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Anybody else have a room with no windows?

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
My apartment is huge, massive even. And I like it. Except I dont have any windows. There is a fake window which is a piece of glass in the wall that (doesn't open) leads to the living room. I have an occelating fan on 24/7 to increase ventilation. Does anyone else have this problem?

After 8 hours sleep with the door cracked a little, it can get very stuffy. Add a girl and some but sex and I'm sure it'll get a little smelly as well. Should I check out a dehumidifier? An air purifier?
 

mattt416

TRIBE Member
i used to have a room with no windows ... even during the day it was so dark that you couldn't see a thing. when i'd wake up at night, i would always be so disoriented that i couldn't tell which way the door was. horrible horrible!! time to get a new room!
 

djfear

TRIBE Member
Is it even legal to live in a room without a window?

Last time I checked (around 2000) if there was no window in a bedroom then you're not supposed to rent it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a laywer.
 

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
I tinfoiled my window so it's dark in my room all the time unless it's open.

I've got a HUGE window in my room. Blinds did nothing for the light.
 

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by The Watcher
I tinfoiled my window so it's dark in my room all the time unless it's open.

I've got a HUGE window in my room. Blinds did nothing for the light.
Did you tinfoil it for heat preservation, or to keep light out?

If it was to keep light out, you could just get some nice looking blinds for the window, and then some heavy drapery for the outside to close when you need darkness (like deep burgundy velvet or something)
 

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Michlerish
Did you tinfoil it for heat preservation, or to keep light out?

If it was to keep light out, you could just get some nice looking blinds for the window, and then some heavy drapery for the outside to close when you need darkness (like deep burgundy velvet or something)
Yeah, I figured I could do that, but I just went for the 2.99$ solution so my girlfriend could sleep in the morning since she has an problem with light. (Transparent eyelids apparently :p)

But it did do alot for the morning hot that would happen since my window faces south, and the sun peared in all day long.
 

gak

TRIBE Member
I used to have a basement room with no windows...It would screw up my sleeping patterns...I once slept 18 hours...thought it was 12 noon when it was really 12 midnight...
 

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djfear
Is it even legal to live in a room without a window?

Last time I checked (around 2000) if there was no window in a bedroom then you're not supposed to rent it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a laywer.
if a room doesnt have a window, you can't advertise it as a bedroom.
so they call it a den, or an office or something to that effect.

in my first apartment in toronto, my bedroom was tiny and had no windows.
it thankfully had a really powerful (but insanely loud) fan that would circulate the air.
that being said, it was a really unhealthy way to live.
with the fan on, you couldn't hear or see anything. my room was like a sensory deprivation tank. an odd experience to say the least.
 

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
The Building Code I am almost 100% sure requires that all bedrooms have windows (because of fires)... I would look this up, but I am too busy here at work... I would definately keep the fan going and get a purifier...
Thats a shitty buzz...
 

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djfear
Is it even legal to live in a room without a window?

Last time I checked (around 2000) if there was no window in a bedroom then you're not supposed to rent it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a laywer.
No it's not I believe ... let alone an entire apartment with no windows.
 

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
air purifiers don't work well if you have a cat(s). it gets all clogged up with cat hair in very little time.

one of those upright fan/dehumidifiers would work wonders (avail. at Cdn Tire)
 

swilly

TRIBE Member
i lived in a basement apartment last janurary with no windows. Lets just say considering i already get S.A.D this was not a good move. I got pretty wierd. My current room in Osaka has no windows and things are starting to get wierd here as well. Stupid company i told them i have S.A.D and they still gave me a room with no windows

Swillyo Sano
 

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
i think no light makes anyone get antsy...i was so happy to move out of a basement apt. cuz it was like dungeon

everyone was much happier when we moved...including my cat :D
 

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gak
I used to have a basement room with no windows...It would screw up my sleeping patterns...I once slept 18 hours...thought it was 12 noon when it was really 12 midnight...
Where I live I can sleep for a lot longer than I would normally because it's a basement apartment, 2 windows but no light. It's nice to ignore the world's zeitgebers sometimes and just rest. 18 hours is crazy though.
 

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
The legality of not having a window is moot, cause my walls with no windows is in NY. People rent benches here.
 

ila

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Flashy_McFlash
Our high school had almost no windows and it was very hard not to get stabby. No natural light makes t(w)eens go crazy.
seriously I'm still mad about the whole experience. when I got to university I was all apeshit about learning in an environment with natural light and fresh air.

windows are key to healthy living.
 

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ila
seriously I'm still mad about the whole experience. when I got to university I was all apeshit about learning in an environment with natural light and fresh air.

windows are key to healthy living.
On the other hand my university rarely had windows in the lecture halls/rooms. Somehow putting corridors on the outside of the building, or building the building underground made sense.
 

chooch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JOSHB
My apartment is huge, massive even. And I like it. Except I dont have any windows. There is a fake window which is a piece of glass in the wall that (doesn't open) leads to the living room. I have an occelating fan on 24/7 to increase ventilation. Does anyone else have this problem?

After 8 hours sleep with the door cracked a little, it can get very stuffy. Add a girl and some but sex and I'm sure it'll get a little smelly as well. Should I check out a dehumidifier? An air purifier?
<<imagines that Josh is living in a bunker far beneath the earth's crust>>
 
Top