• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Anti Oscar Thread

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

I just know that even though Jon Stewart is involved, this will be another 8 hours of the most boring television all year - possibly ever. Normally I tune in for the last 5 minutes of the excruciatingly-long broadcast, just to catch the winners of the 3 most important categories. FYI oscarTV noobs: they usally wait till the final credits are rolling just before the main categories come up.

As for Jon Stewart, while I am a huge fan of the Daily SHow, each time I happen to catch him on Larry King (it is now being rebroadcast 3 times a day as filler on CNN) I notice how lame he appears outside the context of his own environment and opening monologues. I guess that is progress in that industry... Perhaps now that he is diversifying into mainstream media there will soon be more McDonalds toy deals in the offing. Maybe they will even name a salad after him!

In any case I am sure to get his best Oscar sound bites captured and looped into every newscast late tonight and tomorrow, over and over and over and over, so I won't be missing anything tonight.

But good luck anyways dude as I munch on gummybears and watch rented DVDs or ripped episodes of Battlestar Gallactica tonight.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
"And now Oscar's salute to former winners who are still alive."

I hate award shows but there is no more self congradulatory award show than the Oscars. When Brokeback Mountain wins Best Picture this year we can count on weeks of discussion about 'homo-friendly' Hollywood is and how the Academy is so liberated and blah blah blah.

I think I'll watch a bunch of Stanley Kubrick films tonight in protest.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I mostly agree, the show of pomp and circumstance is a bit much.

But I think a lot of the films nominated this year are great, thought provoking films, and I'm curious to watch for that. Plus Jon Stewart of course.

soulbrother 10

TRIBE Member
I stopped watching the Oscars years ago. So borrrrringggg!! Movies just aren't as important to me now, and I have no patience for the moviestar making machinery. However, tonite they honour Robert Altman who is mr. anti-Hollywood, and I love this man's work. And I wish Jon Stewart well. Maybe he can shake things up. Anyway I won't be watching. I'll be at the rink playing hockey.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
a guilty pleasure of mine is watching the big catagory wins..mainly for the emotional levels it induces in the big stars and turns them to putty on stage:D

it IS life altering for their careers/life in general and it's nice to see them during the big moment....even if more than half of the winners have some sort of political motivation behing them

I'm sorry but if brokeback mountian is declared the best film of the year I would have to assume that they didn't watch 3/4 of the films released this year

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
terrawrist III said:
I'm sorry but if brokeback mountian is declared the best film of the year I would have to assume that they didn't watch 3/4 of the films released this year
You could say that every year. Best Picture is never the best film of the year. It's the one that had the biggest hype machine behind it.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
who watches the oscars?!

if you said 'me, i do!' may i inquire as to WHY? is it entertaining? is it informative? are the punny 'jokes' when intoducing a category actually funny to you? what do you get out of watching it?

I don't mean to slag the oscars but i'm really curious - what motivates you to watch it and to keep watching it? what gives?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

2canplay

TRIBE Member
The Oscars are fucking unwatchable. Pretty much like most Hollywoof films - its just pure bullshit. Everything and everyone is fake (almost).

However, my wife and sister are watching so I'm stuck - except for leaving the couch to surf.

ugh.

The thing that bothers me the most about this broadcast is the constant harping at audiences that they should see all these films in the theatres, mention endlessly about how important it is that we fight piracy with the similar grave voice that echoes September 11th and the war on terrorism.

Fuck off MPAA, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and Jack Valenti. While I do support your industry, part of the problem is yourselves. Stop treating audiences like morons, criminals and holding them generally in contempt instead of like customers.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
I'm watching 8 Mile instead of the shitty Oscars.

I hope Stewart's monologue gets posted to google video or something. That was all I really wanted to see but missed it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Dr Funk MD said:
When Brokeback Mountain wins Best Picture this year we can count on weeks of discussion about 'homo-friendly' Hollywood is and how the Academy is so liberated and blah blah blah.
I think if anything it will encourage Hollywood to be a bit more "homo-friendly" considering that it was an independent film that actually broke through to the mainstream. Sure there's a lot of back patting that goes on with this shit, but hey, some progression is better than none. If Brokeback Mountain will help move mainstream studios from doing endless bullshit super non threatening stereotypes, I'm all for it.z

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
All I can say is... "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp". - Oscar winning Song!

They gonna be poppin' the bottles off of 40s all night!