1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Anti-Gay Ads on the TTC!?!?!!?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by DaPhatConductor, Mar 31, 2010.

1. DaPhatConductor

DaPhatConductor TRIBE Promoter

attn: toronto

there are anti-gay ads on our public transit.
    answerme.ca || Does God care if I’m gay?

[​IMG]

please write your councillor, Adam Giambrone (TTC chair: councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca) and the mayor (mayor_miller@toronto.ca) to let them know what you think about this!

writing the originators might be a good idea too: Bus Stop Bible Studies: Get Involved - Share Your Comments

I called the CEO of bus stop bible studies on the phone just now:

here's his number: (416) 234-0555
    1-888-4-BUS-STOP (1-888-428-7786)

After half an hour I was able to get him to admit that many homosexuals were created homosexual by God, and that they are often discriminated against. They are therefore likely to 'misinterpret' the ads as discriminatory, be offended, and be driven away from the church.

He admitted that this was a valid point and that he would be aware that his ads are likely to be considered offensive in the future.

Focusing on his ACTUAL message got me nowhere, but phrasing it that was worked like a charm. If enough other people call him and raise that point I bet we can get him to pull the ads.

Free speech is great, especially for those whose views I disagree with, but many people are likely to have their days ruined by these ads and that's not right.

Please help me get these ads pulled.

2. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

I'll call as soon as they remove that Virgin Mobile bus shelter ad infront of my house with the 2 dudes making out

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

They know their ads are offensive, they're designed to be that way.

This started last year with these ads which appeared on a small number of TTC vehicles:

[​IMG]

The "why worry" ads were themselves created in the UK in response to ads like the one being proposed in your OP.

If I recall correctly church groups at the time were saying they would respond in kind to these ads, which they may have done, but the door is now open, essentially, to religious arguments being communicated via public transit ads.

4. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I will choose to continue not giving 3/8 of a fuck.

5. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Smeh. It's not offensive or derogatory at all. Maybe some Christian people would welcome this kind of dialogue being opened up.

That being said; God does care that you learn to size images.

6. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

God does hate gays.

7. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

God cares when you don't wash the hair he created for you.

8. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Well those bible study things predated the atheist message, so I'd say it started before that. As a non-believer I don't need to see noise about how great God is on the TTC, and that was just as offensive to me as they purport the atheist ad to be and they were on buses long before the atheist ad.

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Im also offended by the anti-drug ads. Im offended that public money is being spent on a scare campaign.

10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

if you look at the link to the website it's the same tired old stuff, they're all about saying "hey gay people are loved by god just like all other sinners..." don't hate the person, hate the sin, essentially. So they keep hammering this idea of "you're ok, what you do isn't and you will be judged in the fullness of time unless you repent and give up the gay".

THIS ONLY MATTERS TO CHRISTIANS

If there's any evidence, in the Christian context, of "god" working in mysterious ways it's by making some gay people religious. Talk about a pig in a poke! Being born with the gay and ALSO with the hole that only religion can fill! Double whammy.

11. agroberts

agroberts New Member

^ What he said.

I find those "There's probably no God..." ads awesome for the sheer amusement it brings me to see how riled up and defensive people get.

12. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Those ads about no god didn't end up on TTC vehicles similar to the ashley madison campaign that got squashed.

Seems quite hypocritical to accept ad revenue from one source but not another. especially since Adam is gay right? right?

13. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

probably how the religious types feel about their ads too

14. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I'm sure that a guy who can bear the embarassment of those god-awful (no pun intended) neck tattoos B2B the pain of getting pounded in the ass isn't going to be too bothered about the bus ads.

It's the Spacing Magazine + soy latte crew that's going to shit their pants over them.

15. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

Actually, since I consider myself a Christian (I know, it's archaic and stupid, yadayadayada) I would like to point out that this actually doesn't matter to many Christians. In fact, none that I know.

More to the point is that it matters to nutjobs.

Now, Ricky Martin being gay, that's another story.:D

I would also like to point out that the common Christian probably wouldn't be too excited about their church spending funds on some stupid bus ad like this either.

16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

spoken like a true Torontonian. Things are different outside the Toronto area however. Of course, this campaign is proposed only for the GTA at the moment

17. Shug

Shug TRIBE Member

free speech: gotta take the bad with the good.

18. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

ah yes those darn Christians....

even the many christian churches that have openly gay pastors,

even the christian churches that perform gay marriages, and welcome gays to their congregation

even all those American states and Canadian provinces that are majority christian populations yet have legalized gay marriage,

even those cities in large north american and european nations with active and vibrant gay neighborhoods that are by majority populated by christians...

ah yes, for certain those christians are most definately something to be concerned about because a select few choose to make the issue of being gay so problematic.

luckily all those gays who decry mistreatment at the hands of the so-called Chrsitian ignorance can spare themsevles further persecution by moving to a those nations that are minority christian but have good records of humane treatment of gays.... if you have trouble finding one its because there is only one possible place: isreal. and they more than make up for it in their mistreatment of arabs,

so pick you poison i guess.

19. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

^^ What about Japan? :D

20. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

true. in part.

gay marrige not recognized
    no national legislation to prevent discrimination on the basis of sexuality

but oddly enough wikipedia says gays can serve openly in the military.

21. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

the tattoos on that guys neck are ghey and he's not even hot.

22. that 420 guy

that 420 guy TRIBE Member

if you read the site, there is no hate in their campaign, only one of love (from a christian perspective of course).

if the bus said "god hates fags" i'd understand the push to remove the campaign, but it only asked a question.

it looks like the site got taken down

The content of this page has been removed. It has become apparent that, while one is free to ask the question, “Does God care if I’m gay?” one is not so free to answer the question from a Biblical perspective.

It seems that the whole message of God’s justice and grace was being misinterpreted. If anyone was offended by the original narrative we offer our sincerest apologies, this was never the intent.

This particular question has become a distraction to the purpose for which this entire program was created; that is to encourage individuals to consider their personal relationship with God and to seek Him.

We now leave it to individuals to seek an answer to this particular question for themselves.

No further commentaries on this subject will be posted.

Sincerely,

David Harrison, President

Bus Stop Bible Studies

like every other advertisement that bombards us with shit we don't want, its up to us to filter out the good from the bad and decide for ourselves what we need.

[​IMG]

23. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

psst. not everyone's councillor is Adam Giambrone. Don't slow down the system and waste taxpayers time/money. Find your councillor's office on their website. just sayin. also diablo and i are gay. together. and god cared.

24. DaPhatConductor

DaPhatConductor TRIBE Promoter

woohoo!

'misinterpretation' argument FTW!!!!!

25. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

Its all shock value...its like that annoying radio jingle that you hate but will never forget.