• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

anti-bush superbowl? ad

kat

TRIBE Member
http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=39555

ANTI-BUSH AD CONTEST SUBMITS SUPER BOWL COMMERCIAL

January 13, 2004

By Ira Teinowitz
WASHINGTON (AdAge.com) -- Liberal activist group MoveOn.org announced it has chosen an anti-President Bush ad to air ahead of next week's "State of the Union" address and said
The spot features young children working factory jobs to pay off the national debt.

it is negotiating with CBS to gain airtime on the Super Bowl.

The winning anti-Bush TV commercial was produced by Charlie Fisher, the creative director of the Copenhagen, Denmark, office of Publicis Groupe ad agency Leo Burnett.

On own time
Mr. Fisher was not available for comment at the Copenhagen office. A spokeswoman for MoveOn said Mr. Fisher created the ad "on his own time." No further details about the production and post-production logistics were available.

Calls for comment to Leo Burnett USA's Chicago headquarters have not yet been returned.

A spokesman for CBS said the Viacom-owned network has received the request from MoveOn to run the ad in the Super Bowl, but added that the ad has to go through standards and practices before CBS will say if it can run an advocacy ad during the game. The spokesman said he didn't think it was likely that the spot would pass standards and practices.

Competition for :30 spot
The winning ad was developed after MoveOn created a competition aimed at finding a filmmaker who can articulate everything that's wrong with the Bush administration in a 30-second spot.

Mr. Fisher's spot shows young children working in a variety of manufacturing or service industry jobs -- hauling garbage, repairing tires, clerking a checkout counter -- and ends with the line "Guess who's going to pay off President Bush's $1 trillion deficit?"

A MoveOn spokesman said the ad, which was chosen from a number of entries, will have an initial national run starting with a $300,000 CNN buy that breaks Jan. 17 and runs through Jan. 21; a 60-second ad will incorporate not only the winning spot ad but a description of the contest and mention of some of the other entries. President Bush's State of the Union speech is Jan. 20.

Hitler ad
The contest, was announced in October and received more than 1,500 submissions, some of which were posted on MoveOn's Web site (www.bushin30seconds.org). The contest garnered a certain amount of notoriety after the Republican National Committee expressed outrage that submissions pictured on the group's Web site compared President Bush to Adolph Hitler.

Early this month the group apologized for allowing the Hitler ads to slip through, but accused the RNC of being "deliberately and maliciously misleading" in suggesting that the ads were anything other than contest submissions.

MoveOn, which includes a politcal action committee and a voter fund (which handled the contest), said a panel of celebrities and political consultants judged the submissions. Panelists included political strategists Donna Brazile and James Carville.

'Fear and loathing'
Reacting to the winning ad, Republican National Committee press secretary Christine Iverson said, "They should have called the contest 'Twenty seconds of fear and loathing of George Bush.' It proves what we have said all along: The Democratic presidential candidates have a message of protest and pessimism but bring no positive ideas to the debate."

OTIS

TRIBE Member
And the Soros effect continues. Pretty funny, he must know someone straight at the top cuz adbusters cannot get their ads on ANY of the networks including CBC. Pulic airwaves my ass.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Because it's corproate media, who have 'business models' to which some 'controvercial' ads do not fit, which is against the constitutionally granted right to access public airwaves.

kat

TRIBE Member
i dont follow a lot of the anti-etc ads.. (obviously since they arent aired, i dont have cable anyway and i have dialup) so i dont know who they involved.

but publicis/burnett have a good shot at pulling this off

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
The spokesman said he didn't think it was likely that the spot would pass standards and practices.

what the fuck is wrong with those idiots down there?

Like seriously, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? NOT ENOUGH OXYGEN IN THE WOMB?

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: anti-bush superbowl? ad

Originally posted by Boss Hog
what the fuck is wrong with those idiots down there?

Like seriously, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? NOT ENOUGH OXYGEN IN THE WOMB?
Not enough oxygen in thier air due to excess pollution.

Access

TRIBE Member
It would be AMAZING if that actually airs while 100 million Americans watch.

Too bad that we'll miss it with Global having the rights to the superbowl in canada. Instead we're gonna have to see GLobal plug EVERY single show on the network repeatedly

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

derek

TRIBE Member
^^

should have been more. the propaganda filter is not only designed to block unwanted messages, but to ensure it is the approved type of propaganda that makes it through. incidently, i don't consider truth, or well documented facts to be propaganda.

peace,

derek

2canplay

TRIBE Member
You guys are all getting worked up over nothing. Even if (A Big IF) they did manage to get it on air, how many of the 100 million people who watch actually get it? Not too many.

This is America after all...the dumber the better.

Adam

TRIBE Member
CBS Nixes MoveOn.org and PETA ads during Super Bowl

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040116/tv_nm/media_superbowl_dc_1

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. football fans will not see ads featuring scantily clad vegetarians or a political attack on President Bush during February's Super Bowl after CBS said on Thursday that advocacy advertisements were out of bounds on professional football's biggest day.

The network, over the years, has rejected dozens of advertising proposals by advocacy groups, who argue that the network only airs controversial messages that it agrees with.

"We just want to be able to present our jiggly women," said Lisa Lange, spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, asking to join advertisers like beer brewers who has boosted sales with images of scantily-clad women.
Fuckers

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
a little more on the MoveOn.org superbowl ad rejection.........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, the liberal online advocacy Web site MoveOn.org sought to place an ad that uses images of children working at adult jobs to criticize the federal budget deficit.

The Super Bowl is traditionally the most-watched TV event of the year.

"We do not accept advertising on one side or the other of controversial public issues, partly because we don't think the debate ought to be controlled by people with deep pockets," said Martin Franks, CBS executive vice president.

(that would be hilarious... if it wasn't such utter bullshit, ...like who the fuck else places ads other than "people with deep pockets"???)

CBS also covers these issues in a balanced way with its news department, Franks said.

The network's content decisions have been a hot topic since CBS canceled a miniseries about former President Reagan that conservatives said distorted his legacy.

Although MoveOn.org founder Wes Boyd said he had no evidence the ad was rejected because it was anti-Bush, "I worry that it's about ideology," he said.

Franks noted that CBS routinely rejects ads on both sides of controversial issues like abortion and gun control.

In a presidential election year, network airspace will soon be filled with pointed political messages. But CBS is required by law to accept ads for candidates and cannot change their message, Franks said.

But Boyd said his group had high hopes for placing its ad on the Feb. 1 Super Bowl broadcast. The ad will run on CNN starting the day of Bush's State of the Union message. The group said it had raised more than $875,000 from 21,000 donors to buy time for the ad, which won a contest among videographers.

"It seems to be there's a capricious approach as to what ads are taken and which are not," Boyd said.

Last year, MoveOn.org bought air time during the Super Bowl for an ad criticizing the buildup to the Iraq war with CBS' Washington affiliate, he said.

Similarly, after Fox rejected a pro-vegetarian Super Bowl ad two years ago, PETA bought air time for the same ad on Valentine's Day in five local markets, Lange said. One market, in Mobile, Ala., rejected it, she said.

"In a sense, everything is an advocacy ad," Lange said. "Every time you run a burger ad, you're advocating that people eat meat. And meat-eating is a controversial activity."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

god forbid someone actually try to make a serious point on very important world issues in the middle of this drawn-out, overhyped broadcast of this kids game.

:rolleyes:

Go back to bed america, your government is in control again...... here, watch this, Shut-up........ here's american gladiators...here's 56 channels of it, ....watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom.......here you go america, you are free to do as we tell you!

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Most Americans do not lead self-fulfilling lives. Many families in far poorer countries lead lives which are far more fulfilling than the superficial ones that Americans tend to lead. A good example is my girlfriend's mother, who was born and raised in Hungary...they fled the country around the time of the iron curtain (good ol Stalin), however she always comments at how fulfilling her life was while there, even if it was difficult.

So, Americans need to compensate. Suddenly sports become a big deal, wars become a big deal, hollywood becomes a big deal; these average Americans live vicariously through others, and usually at the expense of others (yet at the expense of their own freedoms ultimately).

I'm sure you can provide examples of Americans who lead very fulfilling lives, however the point is that as an aggregate, Americans live a more superficial lifestyle than in many other places around the world. Canada is only slightly better than Americans in that respect.

I keep making this argument, and I'll say it again: it's all a function of size. America is LARGE. They own shit everywhere. They have military bases everywhere. They have corporate industries running everywhere. They absorb resources from everywhere. They're huge. And this is precisely the problem. It isn't natural (mathematically or ecologically I believe) for a species to dominate on such a massive scale; natural clusters emerge from the growth, which tend to isolate themselves to a certain degree from the rest of the species. It reminds me of PosTMOd's ring species, which I found interesting...size defeats us. You have to concede control along natural breakpoints that occur within any system, whether it is economic, cultural, religious, etc. We need to move toward communal-based living; I know, that term is a bit cliche, but it's absolutely the truth. You watch: the larger America gets, the greater the devastation when it finally comes crashing down...hopefully us humans are smart enough (HA!) to realize this, and help soften the blow...

expat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Because it's corproate media, who have 'business models' to which some 'controvercial' ads do not fit, which is against the constitutionally granted right to access public airwaves.
Just out of curiosity, where in the constitution is this right to be found?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

OTIS

TRIBE Member
First amendment ensures freedom of speech & freedom of the press. The airwaves are publically owned.. for an entity to prevent access to any part of the airwaves for idealistic reasons is in violation of this freedom.

expat

TRIBE Member
so by referencing the "first amendment" I suppose you're talking about the US. I thought you were referring to Canada...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Yea, the situation in the article is bound by American law... Canada's counterpart law to the American first Amendment (Bill of Rights) is similar except we don't have anything that guarantees freedom of the press.

expat

TRIBE Member
I still don't see how the american media --even the american corporate media-- has an obligation to air anti-Bush ads under the First Amendment, or how it is a violation of freedom of the press when one cannot get an ad aired.