• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Another one bites the dust

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
>Dear Business Partners,
>
>with deepest regrets we herewith must let you know that we have been forced
>to file bankruptcy today.
>
>This is based on the developments of the recent weeks during which we have
>tried everything to avoid this step by downsizing our staff, restructuring
>all distribution methods and channels, negotiating with third parties,
>particularly with several groups of possible investors, yet - sadly - to no
>avail. All our attempts to find any other means to keep afloat in times of
>collapsing markets have remained unsuccessful. Since it has not been
>possible to reach possible solutions and it has become obvious that we were
>no longer able to stay in business when relying on our own strength.
>
>We expect the relevant court to name a receiver within the very future. We
>do hope that jointly with that receiver we may be in a position where EFA´s
>key business areas can be saved and restructured. However, it is unclear if
>our desire to reestablish EFA will be rewarded by the receiver´s
>perspective.
>
>We thank you for all the years of cooperation and the trust in EFA.
>
>Yours sincerely
>
>EFA Medien GmbH

musork

TRIBE Member
this is bad news for 90 percent of german techno labels not to mention for the force inc family...of labels...
but this is old news there has been talk about this for nearly 12 months now but yesterday it was publically announced...
Im beginning to think that net labels are the way to go...

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
ouch! Sad news to hear for Corrado and friends.

I agree with you Neil, techno is going to look very different one year from now.

odbx

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
labels that supply their music for download via the internet. A good example of a free net label is www.thinnerism.com (some really dope ass music on this label, over 50 releases!!).

A good example of a pay for MP3 net label is bleep.com (where you can purchase very high quality MP3's of almost the entire Warp backcatalogue, including all their sublabels).

odbx

physix

TRIBE Member
i think labels will have to simply start selling their own shish...

which actually mightnot be so bad.

I shipped 2 records to Belgium for $2.26USD

That is $1.13 per record, which is less than the
amounts the distributors were taking for themselves.

So, even if you charged them $6 for the actual
record, regardless of international or not, you'd
STILL make more per record sold than if you went
with a distributor.

Trust me, if people found out that they had to order
directly frlom Force Inc instead of a record store,
they'd still do it... same with half the other labels
people frequent.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Physix,

It would be nice if it actually worked that way, and I'm sure you already know that even though you only paid $2.26 to ship those records, on the other end people may have to pay much more than that (ie. duty, S&H charges, local taxes etc.)

As an example a friend of mine ordered some records from Nuloop in France. He was charged over to $30 for shipping and handling for 4 records. This works out to well over $20 a record. So even if your selling them for $6 it still does not guarantee that you will pay equal or less for a record from the label rather than from a distro. Indeed there's also the lost mail issue, broken mail, bad pressings etc. that can backfire. Distro's took the heat for these things too.

Sure the label would make more cash, but you can make more cash through electronic delivery of individual tracks without the hassle as well.

odbx

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
there's something going on with nuloop todd. they rape me every time. i quit ordering from them for that reason. NO other store in the world that I have ordered from (record wise) charges as much as they do. including other french stores. I get my vinyl online only now so at any time i'll have upwards of 50 records in the mail (like right now it's about 57) and it actually still works out cheaper for me...I buy it all right from labels if I can and just make sure I look around alot so i dont pay more than i have to.

My favorite label to buy direct from: TRESOR. they rock. I always make huge orders from them and get whites and other perks for the time and money spent. Kompakt i a close second although they aren't putting out much right now that I'm diggin, but all I have to do is wait and there will be more.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

physix

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
Physix,

It would be nice if it actually worked that way, and I'm sure you already know that even though you only paid $2.26 to ship those records, on the other end people may have to pay much more than that (ie. duty, S&H charges, local taxes etc.)
man, i keep forgetting about import/export duties...

what if you're on a subscription level...

like, say I have a subscription service:

you get, say, 6 records a year for $30.

You go online and say "oh, you're gonna release this sweet track in a couple weeks, i want it when you do..."

I ship you the one record... and then on the internationalticket i have to fill out at my post office, i put on there that it's a "gift".

do you still have to pay a duty on it?

like, everytime I send a DJ from the Netherlands a CD
of my material, do they have to pay a duty for it?

is that even possible? or would i be in trouble in the above
example for running a business across international borders
without handling duty taxes and shit?

mgs

TRIBE Member
juno

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Juno:

http://www.juno.co.uk

Updated with new releases daily, cheap shipping, audio samples, searchable database... the works!

I've never had any problem with these folks.
The deduct the brit VAT automatically, and with shipping, records end up to be roughly the same price (if a bit cheaper) than a record store ($15-$17/platter)

Records have usually arrived within a week of ordering, never longer...

mgs

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
juno has never ever pleased me. maybe it's my timing but they have never had one record that I wanted. I do use innercity and polar bear though and they are UK based.

Crazytunes in Germany is dope to for hard to find goodies

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by physix

I ship you the one record... and then on the internationalticket i have to fill out at my post office, i put on there that it's a "gift".

do you still have to pay a duty on it?

like, everytime I send a DJ from the Netherlands a CD
of my material, do they have to pay a duty for it?

is that even possible? or would i be in trouble in the above
example for running a business across international borders
without handling duty taxes and shit?
Sure gifting will work, but only for so long .. I mean if they see you as a record label, and all your outgoing mail is gifted, then how the fuck are you making any money?

The IRS will find you eventually. I'm almost positive that this is the reason that places like Satellite will no longer gift purchases to international destinations.

odbx

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by isoprax
juno has never ever pleased me. maybe it's my timing but they have never had one record that I wanted. I do use innercity and polar bear though and they are UK based.

Crazytunes in Germany is dope to for hard to find goodies
Tell Paul at Innercity he still owes me 50 quid worth of vinyl for winning that contest. Love the selection, but he's never sent me a single order I've put in.

odbx

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
yeah paul seems to take his time....i find it worth it to bug him until it goes through though

musork

TRIBE Member
labels that supply their music for download via the internet. A good example of a free net label is www.thinnerism.com (some really dope ass music on this label, over 50 releases!!).

A good example of a pay for MP3 net label is bleep.com (where you can purchase very high quality MP3's of almost the entire Warp backcatalogue, including all their sublabels).

odbx
yeah Ive even jumped on the band wagon I have a release comming out on www.thinnerism.com (after 3 years of them and I talking about it and me beinf reluctant about it) and another on a newer net label www.peromusic.com and even the swap release Im part of on www.complot.ca got released as a mp3 release rather then an actual physical product... so things are changing and Im happy about it... its a lot easier to deal with getting material out there via a net lable then the wanky ass dealing of a label and its distrobution issues... I had to fight with noise facotry to leave its orginal distrobutiers to go with who they are now and even then the records take for ever to get into the stores...
and most importantly into the publics hands...
this for me is the most important...
neil...

physix

TRIBE Member
Sure gifting will work, but only for so long .. I mean if they see you as a record label, and all your outgoing mail is gifted, then how the fuck are you making any money?

The IRS will find you eventually. I'm almost positive that this is the reason that places like Satellite will no longer gift purchases to international destinations.

odbx
well, i wouldn't be "gifting" with the IRS records....
simply at the post office...

and the level of what i'm talking about is no where
near that of a Satellite or even the smallest record
store...

remember, my original idea was that labels simply
start mailing their own shit out... cut the middle man.

now, that would work probably well in North America,
but you were right about duties and shit.

But, in the case of the "gift", on my records to the IRS,
there's the subscription that i'm claiming... that's how
i'm making the money... and then at the post office,
i simply put on their "gift" sent from Brandon (that's
me -- hi *waves*) to the recipient

I wonder how well the US Postal Service and IRS actually
communicate. I somehow doubt they share records...
but i could be -- and probably am -- wrong on that, tho.

hrmmm....

well, it's probably still a bad idea.... USPS global flat
rate is like $9 for a 4-6 delivery time.

if every label did that, then records would be like $20 a pop
and not $6-10.

oh well.

www.digibag.com is a cool idea... check it out if you
haven't already (mostly hose, tho, guys... sorry ;) )