• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Annoying things about looking for Apartment in the Classifieds

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
When they say parking, 99 time out of 100 it means that there is parking somewhere withing a 10 minute walk. Not that there is parking on the premesis or wether it's free or not.

Large is subjective

Short Walk to Subway can mean anything from right next door, to 25 minute walk.

Quiet means they want the new tenant to be quiet, not that the place is.

80% of property owners dont speak good engrish.

If the price seems to good to be true, and it doesnt mention if utilities are included or not... then they are. and there are more hidden costs aswell.

Superintendants are often the most disgruntled people you'll meet in a day.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I swear some landlords rip up your application the minute you leave the door if you're under 30.

I found this beautiful apartment in the beaches one time and when I filled out the application and handed it to the landlady the first thing she said to me, before even looking at the app was "So... you like to party, eh?" I knew that I wasn't even being considered at that point. It didn't matter what I answered.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
There are ALOT of places available at King and Jameson for dirt cheap and 50% of them have Cockroaches.
That's near where I live, no cockroaches though.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Some people dont know the difference between:

Loft
Bachelor
Studio
Jr 1 Bedroom
1 Bedroom
1 Bedroom + Office/Den/Solarium
2 Bedroom

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Most adds say "Laundry"

It's rare that you'll find a place that has in suite laundry.

Sometimes that means that there is a Laundromat close.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
Hey man how's the market in general? I'm moving in the spring. Nice places, expensive...?
Location location location.

It's a renter's market right now I've been told. But that just means there's alot of shitty places, and alot of nice EXPENSIVE places.

I saw an add for a 1 bedroom at College and Bathurst for 2800$

I was shocked.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kmac

TRIBE Member
Street parking available isn't always the case. Yeah, you may be able to park there if you have a permit, but if the permits in your zone are all sold out, you're SOL.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Loft = The attic
Bachelor = One room with a kitchen next to your bed
Studio = see above but with wood floors
Jr 1 Bedroom = you sleep in the closet
1 Bedroom
1 Bedroom + Office/Den/Solarium = really a one bedroom but with a second room large enough to justify charging a 2 bedroom price.
2 Bedroom

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I've never encountered a rental apartment with in-suite laundry...it's always been a laundry room on the same floor, or in the basement, or if in a house, it belongs to the landlords and they let the tenants use it.

~jen

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Location location location.

It's a renter's market right now I've been told. But that just means there's alot of shitty places, and alot of nice EXPENSIVE places.

I saw an add for a 1 bedroom at College and Bathurst for 2800$

I was shocked.

daaaamn. Thanks.

If you can play the waiting game I bet you find something good.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
I've never encountered a rental apartment with in-suite laundry...it's always been a laundry room on the same floor, or in the basement, or if in a house, it belongs to the landlords and they let the tenants use it.

~jen
They do exist! it's not a myth... I know a few people that have them.

But damned if I can find one.

Condo's usually come with them.. but also cost 35% more than a regular apartment.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Now you know one more... and we don't have to share it with anybody.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
my place has in suite laundry. I cant wait.

www.craigslist.com is where I foudn it.

That place has 99% good stuff, but not many listings.

Click there and select Toronto on the right.

Haggling over rent right now is also encouraged.

kuba

TRIBE Member
hey- location IS important. BUT, my place doesnt have the best location (its at adelaide and jarvis which ISNT as good as little italy) but the thing is, living in little italy (to me) didnt matter any bit. I barely went out to the martini bars and lounges and I hate shopping at dumbinion cuz its overpriced. So our new 'hood is less "cool" but the rent is cheaper and thats good for me (plus I have a backyard which, in 26 years of living, I have never ever had in my life. Ever. well, I did, in libya, but that doesnt count cuz it was called the Sahara).

rejenerate

TRIBE Member

But damned if I can find one.

Condo's usually come with them.. but also cost 35% more than a regular apartment.
Condos are a different thing...I'm talking about pure rental apartments. I've never known any with their own laundry...that's pretty cool. I always hated sharing with strangers.

~jen

defazman

TRIBE Member
The 1 bedroom basement appt below me is open right now for any peeps in Bramptown. 2 parking, no laundry, shared backyard, and YOU BETTER BE FUCKING QUIET! pm for details.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I'm glad when I moved I knew my old Apartment had 1bdrm's available.

I would of taken a 2bdrm for my office, but I'm fine with the 1bdrm.

Thank god it's not like most tiny 1 bdrm's in the city.

pr0nstar :D