• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

announcing vague terrain 03:generative art

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
I guess our project doesn't really jive with the general forum.. it may be of interest to you cats though as I know there are lots of designers/code geeks that haunt this forum.

--

Vagueterrain.net the Toronto-based digital arts quarterly, has just launched its third issue: vague terrain 03:generative art. This issue is dedicated to an exploration of generative art through various texts and multimedia projects which document and illustrate the tools, techniques, and discourse surrounding “automated” production.

This diverse body of work contains contributions across multiple mediums from: Ben Bogart, Mantissa, Marius Watz, Meta, Neil Wiernik, Paul Webb, Peter Nyboer, Philip Galanter, Rob Myers, William Farkas and also features an interview with Ben Fry and Casey Reas by Donna Marie Vakalis.

To view the journal please visit http://www.vagueterrain.net

,g

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Thanks! I used to be involved in demo groups years ago, and this stuff has a bit of a nostalgic feel to it...the days of 8-bit music synchronized with Mandelbrot generation... ;)

basilisk

TRIBE Member
The vague terrain drinking game:

1 shot for every appearance of the word "discourse"
2 shots for every instance of "cultural paradigms"

If I had gone to art school I'd come up with something more clever than that :)
Anyway, always an interesting read. Keep it up!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
i really dug your article on generative art, gsnuff. though i've suggested in the past you check out n. kathrine hayles 'writing machines' (from mit mediawerks series) before, after reading this article you simply must read it. she throws down a pretty tight array of ideas that would prove an interesting 'line of flight' from gernartive art.

in one section she touches on 'house of leaves' and intergoates it with her usual emphasis on materiality.

check it, homeboy.

although, she tends to have fun as an author/theorist and after reading your review of the grand pubahs at mutek, i show i was at and simply adored, you might be a little too art school turtleneck techno geek to get down with her science.

anydoodle...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Spinsah said:
i really dug your article on generative art, gsnuff. though i've suggested in the past you check out n. kathrine hayles 'writing machines' (from mit mediawerks series) before, after reading this article you simply must read it. she throws down a pretty tight array of ideas that would prove an interesting 'line of flight' from gernartive art.

I've read that text. I'm doing a thesis that deals with "electric" textuality so of course she is a point of reference. Did you see this? Athur Kroker interviewed her for ctheory a few months back.

Spinsah said:
although, she tends to have fun as an author/theorist and after reading your review of the grand pubahs at mutek, i show i was at and simply adored, you might be a little too art school turtleneck techno geek to get down with her science.

Yes, I can't "get down" to her science at least as not as well as you "got down" to the Pubahs because you are so much more capable of having fun than I am. My turtleneck is obviously too tight! :rolleyes:

,g

zoo

TRIBE Member
gsnuff, meet polo :p

gap_polo_3.jpg

now with variable collar tightness!