1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ann Coulter

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Mar 25, 2010.

?

Ann Coulter - should she speak at Canadian universities?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2010.
  1. yes

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. no

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. don't care

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

What's the deal with this? Did she claim she was banned because she canceled her own gig? Personally, I don't care if she speaks at some university or not, or even spins a set at the comfort zone. She does know how to rock the fuck-me boots however.

2. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Is this a "Would you hit it?" poll?

3. alexd

I am just wondering if she should speak at Canadian universities or anywhere else in Canada for that matter.

4. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Burn it, burn it with fire.

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

My opinion is flat out NO - though I think universities should police this just by being astute enough not to invite her in the first place (and this goes for campus groups like the conservative group that invited her too!).

The reason is because she is like a rabid, racist version of an E! Hollywood anchor. She offers bite-sized tidbits designed for mass consumption on cable TV. She writes books that are replete with epithets, cherry-picking, strawmen and all-round anti-intellectual boorishness.

This is not the kind of thinking that should be encouraged at Universities. Controversial speakers are fine, but they should at least meet a minimum standard of intellectual coherency. Might as well invite an E! Hollywood anchor to speak about politics IMO... There were plenty of conservatives out there that meet this standard, even controversial ones. I would have been fine with Pat Buchanan, but Coulter? Cmon, she treats politics like a schoolyard brawl.

6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Various tidbits that counter characterization of crowds as "riotous" and the conservative claims from the south that the protest was shut down because of protesters "blocking" entrance to the event:

• The cops don't seem to agree with the whole "riot" thing

Constable Alain Boucher of Ottawa Police Services said that the police had recommended calling off the appearance because of the crowd’s size, not its behavior​
    • The university had NOTHING to do with canceling Coulter's "lecture":
      The University of Ottawa has always promoted and defended freedom of expression. For that reason, we did not at any time oppose Ann Coulter’s appearance. Whether it is Ann Coulter or any other speaker, diverse views have always been and continue to be welcome on our campus.

Last night, the organizers themselves decided at 7:50 p.m. to cancel the event and so informed the University’s Protection Services staff on site. At that time, a crowd of about one thousand people had peacefully gathered at Marion Hall.​
    • Short letter from an attendee:

I was front row centre at the Ann Coulter "protest" on Tuesday night so I want to clear up a few misconceptions about what happened.

First, barring posters to advertise the event on campus created a lot of confusion and that decision was a big blunder by the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO). Most people had learned about the Coulter event only a few days prior from the mainstream media. We had no idea that we needed to pre-register online to attend.

The U of O Campus Conservatives who organized the event did a very poor job. They were close to an hour behind schedule before they announced to the large crowd of then-agitated students that if we weren't registered, we weren't getting in. It was chaos when frustrated fans and critics of Coulter were then penned inside the building, the organizers were blocking entry into Marion Hall and the large crowd outside made it to difficult to leave.

It's sad that Coulter and Ezra Levant will go around trumpeting this as some free speech disaster when the truth is that this event was cancelled due to extremely poor planning by the organizers, some idiotic decisions by the SFUO and some prankster pulling a fire alarm.

Alex Sellick,

Ottawa​

7. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I like how David Frum refers to Colter as part of the Conservative Entertainment Complex.

8. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

That bitch is mad crazy but it's fun to watch her operate, if only to see what madness will spew out of her mouth next.

9. alexd

That sounds pretty benign... could be talking about Seaworld

10. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Limbaugh has the Seaworld angle covered... ;)

11. kerouacdude

kerouacdude TRIBE Member

my university used to have a lot of ads for Swedish massage and guys who dove off the residence roof into the mud (not advisable)

so while I don't know why anyone would invite Coulter from the standpoint of how ridiculously overexposed she is (what new info would she have had to say?), this stuff about how the intellectual purity of these delicate institutions will crumble makes me roll my eyes. Sorry.
    Use an elephant gun on a gnat and this is what you get. The 50 jr. Ezra Levants on campus would have gone and heard her talk and that would have been the end of it.

12. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

I believe academic insitutions are forums for open debate and a place where people can share all sort of ideas. If anywhere, she should have the right to speak at a university.

The better question is, why would a university bring in someone like that to address their community when she has no ties to justify it and she has no legitimate academic credentials to back up her right to give an opinion. I went to U of T and I hope they never, ever stoop to bringing in slop speakers like that.

So, it depends on exactly what you're asking. Would I censor her, no. She's her own worst enemy anyways. Everytime she opens her mouth she proves how shit she is.

13. alexd

14. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Anyone remember the riot at Concordia when Benjamin Netanyahu was invited to speak? Smaller crowd numbers, but more broken windows and pepper spray.

15. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

^This x100

However, it would have been better if the student organization sold tickets to the event with the proceeds going to a charity that she would clearly abhor, and then have no one show to hear her speak. Just an empty room.

Yeah I know, it's completely and totally wishful thinking.

16. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

seriously I must have just crawled out from under a rock b/c every news outlet talks about this situation with no background on who this is. Like I should know.

17. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

18. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

ah, I heard the other day she told someone to take a camel for transportation. She was accepted with open arms out west today though.

19. alexd

Those oil sand fumes must be pretty strong

20. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

Should she speak at Canadian universities? Sure, she can teach a course for all I care.

She's offensive but she thrives on the controversy surrounding the stupid shit she spouts. It's unfortunate that Houle and Ottawa university gave her a way to play the victim in all of this when what transpired is exactly what she and Ezra wanted.

21. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

They must extend pretty far east. I saw the news which showed people applauding her comments at UWO. Made me ill.

22. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

23. Don't feed the trolls applies as much outside the internet as it does in the internet.

Let her speak her opinions, as dumb and obtuse as they are.

24. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Waste of the students money and the media's time.

25. Phat Buddha

Phat Buddha TRIBE Member

taken from her website.. Welcome to AnnCoulter.com