• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Animal-free meat - around the corner. Vegan Carnivores could exist!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Meet the guy who envisions a ‘meat brewery’ to help solve a global problem

Bruce Friedrich, 46, is the executive director of the Good Food Institute and managing trustee of New Crop Capital, which both promote restructuring the meat industry away from animal slaughter. He lives in Washington.

Would you call yourself an activist?

Yes. Well ...

Is there another term you would use?

I’m a nonprofit executive. And a venture capitalist. New Crop Capital is focused on finding the companies that we believe will be maximally transformative, away from animal agriculture and toward plant-based and clean alternatives.

Are all of the companies you focus on in the creating, like in the lab?

We have invested in a few companies that are focused on meat and collagen that are cultured. At commercialization it will look like a beer brewery, but it will be for meat. So a meat brewery.

You refer to it as meat? You don’t use quotation marks or anything?

It’s meat. It’s the exact same thing, just grown in a different way. It’s cleaner, safer, transparent. There are tens of millions of illnesses from contaminated meat annually, thousands of people die. All of that goes away. At scale, it will be cheaper than beef, because it’s so much more efficient.

How’d you get here?

I ran a homeless shelter in D.C. as part of the Catholic Worker movement for six years. I came when I was 20. Mitch Snyder [at] the Community for Creative Non-Violence just opened my eyes. I knew about global poverty, but I didn’t really have the sense of what to do about it. And Mitch said, “This is an urgent situation — all of you need to join in the struggle to make things better for the poor.” And that really spoke to me. So I came to Washington, D.C., and he killed himself that summer , before I got there.

Wow.

Do you consider your work now helping global hunger as well?

The Good Food Institute attempts to take ethics off the table for consumers. This is a solution to the end of the antibiotics era. This is a solution to climate change. The solution to global poverty. It seems to us that the likely solution is to just make the default choice that climate-friendly choice.

Because relying on people’s ethics is …

It’s a lot to ask.

I Googled you. You streaked the queen [for PETA]!

I had GoVeg.com written on my body. The Times of London reported “it is not known whether her majesty was forced to avert her eyes.” That is very close to a direct quote.

You’re much more committed than most people are to causes they think are good.

And there’s a degree to which that’s alienating, right? We’re trying to normalize what we’re doing and relate to people in a way that is not making people feel bad for the choices they’re making.

So you’d rather be perceived as not an activist.

Yes.

You’re not an activist.

I’m a nonprofit executive.

LINK

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately there is a large crossover of Vegan/Anti-GMO and they will see that this comes from a Lab and reject it.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Incidentally found this on site, Vegan GMO, they exist:

Vegan GMO – Vegan GMO advocates for a rational approach toward biotechnology in the ongoing struggle for animal justice.

Vegan GMO’s Mission

Vegan GMO advocates for a rational approach toward biotechnology in the ongoing struggle for animal justice.

The need to defend the truth about technology has never been more urgent than now. Compassion and critical thinking are foundational components of the vegan philosophy. GMO technology increases our toolbox of options for addressing problems of suffering throughout the world. We are “pro-GMO” for these following reasons:

• Scientific Advancement: The more we know, the better we can solve problems.
  • Nutrition: We can grow plant foods with better nutrient profiles.
  • Spreading Veganism: Vegan living can be made more accessible and convenient.
  • Animal Alternatives: Equivalent or improved vegan alternatives to animal products can be invented.
  • Agriculture: Improved plant varieties can be created to resist challenges inherent to growing food.
  • Health: More solutions can be innovated for modern disease prevention and treatment for all animals.
  • Big Business: Overly strict barriers and regulations can inhibit smaller companies with big business to monopolize.
  • Animal Testing: Given the scientific consensus that GMO technology is safe, unfounded fears lead to egregious animal testing and abuse.
  • Ethics: It’s just the right thing to do, which is why we’re vegan in the first place! A consistent and effective application of our own standards of morality requires insistence for the truth.
We understand the concerns some vegans may have and hope you will join us in exploring the vast opportunities biotechnology can improve the lives of all.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately there is a large crossover of Vegan/Anti-GMO and they will see that this comes from a Lab and reject it.
Actually I think the real obstacle won't be vegans, of which there are few anyway - in terms of numbers the real problem will be Carnivore Luddites, people like The French who will insist farm raised beef "tastes better" and who imbue the source of meat with a religious significance, and that this is the only "pure" way to eat meat.

djfear

TRIBE Member
In Italy I learned that almost all wine is not vegan, based on the filtration systems that they use. Smaller batch stuff, or things that are directly labelled vegan are the only wines that are truly vegan.

When I would eat vegan for a weekend due to my ex, I would just feel like something is missing. The funny thing is, I think it re-affirmed my requirement for eggs / diary / cheese / milk / meat / fish. I can understand why someone wants to eat vegetarian or vegan, and I think it's great that they're creating new forms of food that match existing things, like cheese, eggs, and milk.

Having said that, if you have two chefs competing for top spot on the world stage, they will not limit themselves to just gmo vegan food unless it either matches existing meat from raw form to cooked form 100%, or if it's even better, because food critics and other chefs as extremely particular when it comes to food.