• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Android users unite!

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I would stick with a Google phone such as the new Nexus, but that is me. I like getting the updates, this shit is fun!! :)

I have the Nexus S and I love it. Pretty slick once you find the right combination of Rom and Kernel.

Currently rocking Miui with Matr1x kernel. I will post some pics shortly.

Jay

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Got to play with the Galaxy Nexus this past weekend, its pretty damn slick, i may, just may sell my Galaxy S2 and buy the Galaxy Nexus just so i have all the ICS updates without any hassle !!!!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I've had the Telus Galaxy S2x for about a month and like it but I wouldn't buy another non Google again. Almost none of the fun ROMs, ports and hacks work on this one.

CiG

TRIBE Member
Anyone know where I can buy an unlocked Galaxy Tab 8.9? I am in Vancouver.

I see I can buy it from Bell or Rogers for no contract but I"m not sure how I would unlock it before I gift it.

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
what are you all using to manage songs media and playlists on your android?

i tried using Kies, but its a piece of utter garbage, and wont let me keep any kind of continuity between computer and phone.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Using Winamp and supposedly the syncing is good but I haven't gotten around to figure that part of the equation out.

deep

TRIBE Member
what are you all using to manage songs media and playlists on your android?

i tried using Kies, but its a piece of utter garbage, and wont let me keep any kind of continuity between computer and phone.
For sync, If you use iTunes, iSyncr works well. There's also DoubleTwist as an option. With Foobar there is a plugin to manage/sync music and playlists.

As for players I've tried PowerAmp and PlayerPro and so far none have really fit the bill. Using the stock application right now for the rare use cases I am listening to music off my phone instead of my iPod, that carries my entire library.

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
I guess I will take a look at iSyncr since i have iTunes. I have my iPod as well that has everything on it, this is just for those times when I either don't have it, or forgot the cable so I can bluetooth it to my gfs car stereo without having to scroll through so many damned tracks without lists.

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
New question..

is there a way to remove words from the autocorrect dictionary? not the user defined ones, I found where to remove and add those, but the actual dictionary.

there are words there that I never want to use but keep popping up.

for instance:

I want to swype the word "gotta"... but the way it swypes, it hits the letters for "Goya" ..

First, what is a Goya and why is it capitalized, and why does it think that more people will use that than gotta.

Second, how do I remove it from the dictionary or lower its value so it doesn't pop up.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ian

TRIBE Member
New question..

is there a way to remove words from the autocorrect dictionary? not the user defined ones, I found where to remove and add those, but the actual dictionary.

there are words there that I never want to use but keep popping up.

for instance:

I want to swype the word "gotta"... but the way it swypes, it hits the letters for "Goya" ..

First, what is a Goya and why is it capitalized, and why does it think that more people will use that than gotta.

Second, how do I remove it from the dictionary or lower its value so it doesn't pop up.
Goya is a name.

If you are using Swype:

To remove a word from the Dictionary, highlight only the word that you want to delete, and then tap the Swype key . A message screen will display to confirm that you want to delete the word.

C-NiCE

TRIBE Promoter
Picked up a Galaxy Nexus as an upgrade from a Blackberry 9700 and I am enjoying the Android experience immensely! The OS is snappy with customizable panes that have both apps and widgets. The screen is great and I'm liking the larger form factor over the iPhone.

Beyond the apps available, what else can I do with this thing? I hear talk about rooting and ROMS but for someone not super technical, is there any reason to do this? Is there a chance I could brick my phone? Any good resource sites out there for further Android customization?

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
That depends on what you want to do with it. I am in Phoenix with my rooted and unlocked bell SGS2. I walked in to AT&T, gave them $50 and got a US phone number and enough data to last me until I fly back to Canada. Bell was charging 10/mb while roaming.

If you plan on travelling with your phone, I reccommend rooting/unlocking it.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Picked up a Galaxy Nexus as an upgrade from a Blackberry 9700 and I am enjoying the Android experience immensely! The OS is snappy with customizable panes that have both apps and widgets. The screen is great and I'm liking the larger form factor over the iPhone.

Beyond the apps available, what else can I do with this thing? I hear talk about rooting and ROMS but for someone not super technical, is there any reason to do this? Is there a chance I could brick my phone? Any good resource sites out there for further Android customization?
Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

Jay

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
What are you guys using for twitter apps?

I'm currently using ubersocial but it is draining my battery like mad. I even have all of the notification monitoring settings set to off/manual.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I went into telus and saw the new nexus s and was killed by it. almost got it on the spot but held off. i was an android fan 'til I had the droid pro global and I hated it. I don't know if I'll get used to screen typing coming from a bberry but that phone just had "it".

question: I read that android 4.0 isn't out on these phones yet the telus feature ad said it comes WITH ice-cream sandwich. so what's the scoop? is 4.0 out yet or was that a misprint and it's coming?

praktik

TRIBE Member
The nexus has it - other devices that are already out in the field you'll need to check out manfacturer pages, most of whom now have a schedule listing when devices will get their ICS updates...

It is tied to hardware so its mostly the superphones and those w/ better CPUs that are getting upgraded - midrange offerings likely will languish in gingerbread until new mid-range phone models are released w/ ICS as default...

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
^^^^^

what he said

i cannot wait for the official ICS release for CyanogenMod aka CM9 :)

i installed the nightly build version to check it out and its pure candy, they just need to work out the bugs.