• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Android users unite!

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
now if only Canada Post would get the fuck over here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:baconpanbaconpan

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Still loving my HTC One M8, and as cool as the HTC Dot View case is, flipping back the cover to use it isn't something I'm always down for. So, for most days where I'm in the office with the phone on my desk, I'm using the Double Dip case, also from HTC and it's pretty great.

Vise

TRIBE Member
My Moto X (2014) Pure Edition is ordered... should have it week after next since it is being shipped to my folks Florida place. Went with black front, ebony wood, and dark grey metallic trim. Should be a nice reasonably sized upgrade from my Nexus 5 and will certainly be unique around here. Going to grab the Turbo Charger (15min charge = 8 hours) when it arrives too.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I am thinking about ordering for the US site and have it shipped to my sister. Were you able to use a Canadian credit card(with Canadian address)?

Vise

TRIBE Member
I am thinking about ordering for the US site and have it shipped to my sister. Were you able to use a Canadian credit card(with Canadian address)?
I doubt it will work but worth a shot... since my dad wanted one as well we put it on his US card. Worst case get her to order it and shoot her funds via Paypal or something.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
My Moto X (2014) Pure Edition is ordered... should have it week after next since it is being shipped to my folks Florida place. Went with black front, ebony wood, and dark grey metallic trim. Should be a nice reasonably sized upgrade from my Nexus 5 and will certainly be unique around here. Going to grab the Turbo Charger (15min charge = 8 hours) when it arrives too.

your going to need the turbo charger, as it will require charging every 8 hours :p

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
That Moto X is really fine looking.

Telus is offering it now with the bamboo, wood, but the dark wood is much nicer. Would pair well with bourbon!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
if any of you read the reviews, a phone that big, with a screen like that, moderate to heavy use was 6-8 hours before needing to charge it.

to me thats fucking abysmal.

suck my duck, im a hater, but at least my phone currently gets 36-40hours without a charge( 24 with HEAVY use ) on a 2 yr old N4.

its SAD AS FUCK, that the new offerings pale in comparison, except for ;

- Droid Turbo
- Xperia Z3
- N6 is supposed to be not bad( but its a phablet, not a phone ) same with the Note 4
- LG G3 is suposed to be decent as well, but no one is buying that heap.
- M8 One is decent from what i have heard.

Moto X 2nd gen - one of the worst on the market for battery, there is a reason for the Turbo charger, to make up for the bad engineering choice from day 1.

Last edited:

Vise

TRIBE Member
That Moto X is really fine looking.

Telus is offering it now with the bamboo, wood, but the dark wood is much nicer. Would pair well with bourbon!
Thanks man, agreed!

As for comments on battery life, most reviews state the battery life is decent so some of us need come down off the ledge. My Nexus 5 has shit battery life and I need to charge every night as is... I won't be overly put out having to do the same with the Moto X. Lollipop is already rolled out for the Pure Edition and that should improve the battery situation as well.

LOL at the battery haters... didn't know such a thing existed. :D

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
just got my new Z3. deleting a bunch of bloatware i'll never use.
scored just under 41000 on Antutu out of the box.
I'll probably never really use this phone's full potential, but from what i've played with so far, wicked. great feel to it.
will be trying the camera soon.

grin.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
The Moto X 2nd Gen was actually my first choice for a new phone this year, due to the optional moto wear watch and the ear piece that will be coming out.

i really WANTED this phone, but couldnt get past the reviewers issues with the camera, battery life, and other than how it looks, underwhelming update to the Moto X line.

as well the longevity of the batteries used in the original Moto X, dont bode well if Motorola is consistent with their engineering.

not all Moto phones are like this, its restricted to the Moto X, Moto G, et all line.

Its aesthetically one of the best looking phones on the market, comes with Lollipop and has a ton of voice specific commands that are not offered on their other devices, that pair nicely for the moto wear options.

BUT

i use my phone as most do, pretty much from when i get up( alarm ) to checking weather, email, texts, online feeds et all, and my work email is tied to it via push, all day, till i go to bed.

with the technology we have today, we should be seeing LEAPS and BOUNDS in optimization.

Unfortunately for this iteration of the phone, its not the case.

i want something with a BOMBASTIC camera, something that is along the quality of my Panasonic Point and Shoot. I also want battery life that doesnt REQUIRE me to charge it as often as possible, the phone is fucking wireless for a reason, if i wanted to be tethered to something daily, i would carry around a 5 kilo battery pack thats 98759834759 mah so that i never run out of batter ever again, but that is retarded.

now its a matter of personal preference, but i personally feel they did a disservice to this phone by putting anything less than 3000mah into it.

they put 2300 mah, WTF.

so as i said, its a good thing you can rapid charge it.

the whole smart phone using population and all its reviewers are battery haters, im surprised you arent aware of this.

i hope you enjoy it, i hope its not as bad as the reviewers using the phone for more than one day posted.

or maybe you wont use it enough to notice.
but 2300 mah in a phone that size is absurd, when its competition is literally 25-35 % bigger in capacity.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Hipster don't buy Android, they buy iphones.

so I checked out the Z3 compact at best buy and it looks really small. This is coming from a N4 user. Perhaps I really am ready for a bigger phone.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
the baby Z3 has decent specs, but like you, i felt it way too small. i can't put this new Z3 down. movies on this in landscape are large and gorgeous.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Whatever floats your boat I guess, as long as it lasts a work day all is good... design and size wise it is by far the best phone for me and the fact that it is running almost pure Android (aside from a few of the actually useful features like Moto Display) is a huge plus.

Clearly I don't have the same intensive battery requirements as some...

lobo

TRIBE Member
Thought I'd chime in. I've been using my 1+1 for the last couple of weeks and I must say that I'm pretty impressed coming from my Nexus 4. I turned out that the phone is not that much bigger for me to hold and use on a daily basis. And it's true that they say you should not judge a phone's size until you've used it for a week or so. Now whenever I play with the Nexus 4 it feels like a toy. Using our old iPhone4 is just comical.

Battery life is phenomenal on this thing and Anandtech just did a review on it and did praise it for its long battery life. I'm typically able to get a full day's worth out of the battery and could even let it go overnight without charging and I'd still be able to use it when I wake up. I think one of the reasons for this is that even though it has a 5.5" screen, they decided to keep it at a 1080p resolution. Not for anything, but having the LG G3 and the Nexus 6 have UHD displays is what's killing their battery life. You come out with these awesome phones and larger batteries and you go and throw a display that's just going to drain the battery like there's no tomorrow. There is no reason to have more than 1080p on these phones. Hell even 720p was fine.

There's been a couple of bugs that I've encountered but I haven't seen a repeat of them but they're definitely there. For the price ($480 after taxes, conversion + headphones) you can't beat 64GB, world unlocked phone with customization out the ass if you're into that stuff.

Lobo

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I finally got to put lollipop onto my nexus ten, and am loving it so far.

Also, Spence, have you tried the Swype keyboard? It takes getting used to but I can never go back to the hunt and peck style ever again. Total typing game changer.

Also, I just love hearing about people ditching iPhones for android.